Oil Leaking from black fitting next to oil filter

Troy

Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
Today, as I left my 2002 TB running, I noticed oil pouring from the passenger side near the oil filter. I looked underneath and thought it was the filter since I had an oil change about two weeks ago. However, the oil was coming from a black fitting on a line close to the oil filter. I wonder if that mechanic did a little untwisting or is it something more serious?:confused:

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
Not sure, from your description, what part the oil might be leaking from. I suspect, it might be the oil pressure sending unit. Not expensive, under $20.

Troy

Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
[
01yukontx said:
Oil cooler,return line.did you ever find and fix.enquiring minds want to know.lol

The oil pressure sending unit/switch was the culprit. I jacked the TB on passenger side, took off tire, put my left hand up through a hole and detached the wire harness. Next, using the same hand, I put just the 1 1/16 Oil Pressure Switch Socket over the switch. Then, I put a short 1/2 inch ratchet in the socket and loosed. I used my hand to take the switch out. Reversed steps to put new switch in. This was done under the TB. The cost of materials was $58.82 and a few cold minutes of my time. Well worth it!:biggrin:

View attachment 31784

View attachment 31785

View attachment 31786

View attachment 31787

Attachments

• New Oil Pressure Switch and Socket.JPG
    New Oil Pressure Switch and Socket.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 41
  • The Culprit.JPG
    The Culprit.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 41
  • Under TB.JPG