Oil leak

Gmguy

Original poster
May 25, 2017
Ohio
Hi guys, I have a big problem I can't figure out! I was leaving work the other day (which at the time was -5 degrees) and all of a sudden I smelled burning oil and smoke coming out from under my hood. I quickly pulled over and shut it off and when I opened the hood the was oil everywhere on the passenger side of my engine. I went back today, added oil and started it, let it run for a couple mins and shut it off. At this time I didn't see any leak but when I pulled the dipstick it sounded like opening a bottle of pop because of the pressure. I then drove it down the road and back and there's more oil but it's hard to tell exactly where it's coming from. My stepper motors are bad in my dash so I have no idea if my oil pressure is high and if it is why? Can someone PLEASE HELP or if you have heard of this before? Thank you guys very much!!!!

Im sorry I forgot to mention this is on a 05 Gmc Envoy Xl 4x4 with a 4.2

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
Only way to tell for sure what your oil pressure is, would be to hook up a mechanical gauge. Above the oil filter, you'll find the oil pressure switch, remove it and hook up the gauge in that port and you'll get the reading your looking for. That's pretty bizarre, I don't think I've ever heard or seen of an I6 having "too high" of an oil pressure.

I think a leak in the manifold is more likely, with the aluminum expanding/contracting allowing enough to seep out but shut once its cooled down.

@MRRSM May know since he's the "Atlas" Guru around here.

Gmguy

Original poster
May 25, 2017
Ohio
Only way to tell for sure what your oil pressure is, would be to hook up a mechanical gauge. Above the oil filter, you'll find the oil pressure switch, remove it and hook up the gauge in that port and you'll get the reading your looking for. That's pretty bizarre, I don't think I've ever heard or seen of an I6 having "too high" of an oil pressure.

I think a leak in the manifold is more likely, with the aluminum expanding/contracting allowing enough to seep out but shut once its cooled down.

@MRRSM May know since he's the "Atlas" Guru around here.
Thank you Mike! I will get a gauge and go from there. It's really weird how it happened and just out of the blue. It's been running great and actually still sounds good even now! Thanks for your help!

m.mcmillen

Apr 29, 2016
Wisconsin
I would check the oil pressure switch which before mentioned is above the oil filter. The sensor can go bad and leak oil through the connector. I've seen them go really bad and blow the connector out of the sensor.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Oil filter could also be suspect. Only other thing I can think of that could spray oil like that on that side would be the CPAS just behind the power steering oil pump on the engine block.

D

Deleted member 20902

Just my :twocents: but if his PCV system is clogged, (this being the tube going from the block to the intake manifold just above the starter) it would cause a pressure buildup and possibly blow (or even perhaps it was left off by mistake) the secondary breather tube off of the intake plenum. (Valve cover to intake tube) I could see that spraying oil on the passenger side of the engine compartment. Seeing how cold it is there, any moisture in the tube could be frozen and temporarily blocking it off?

Reactions: Mooseman

Machoman

Mar 10, 2014
I have the same problem. I believe my oil leak is coming from the VVT solenoid. Seems to only leak in very cold weather.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online