Oil leak at front crankshaft seal

bgonzo

Original poster
Sep 6, 2015
I have a 2002 trailblazer 4.2L with an oil leak at front crankshaft seal. It seems to be fine at idle, but starts gushing at 2000 - 2500 rpm. I pulled the balance and replaced the seal, but it is still leaking (might even be a little worse).

Any idea what could be causing this?

I did re-use the old balancer, and there did seem to be a slight groove cut in it (maybe from the old seal), so I guess it could be a bad balancer.

Is it possible that it could be too much pressure in the crankcase?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Welcome to the Nation! Glad you made it despite our email issues.

I haven't heard of many issues with the front seal leaking on these except for slight sweating past the seal. How many miles on it? How deep was the groove? Have you seen the oil actually coming out from there while running? It is possible that it's coming from the timing chain cover or oil pan seal and dripping onto the balancer.

bgonzo

Original poster
Sep 6, 2015
Yes, I can actually see it coming from the seal when the engine is running. Its a slow drip at idle and heavier at part throttle. I cant tell for sure if its coming from the O.D. or the I.D. but it is definitely the shaft seal and not the timing cover.

The truck has 190,000 miles.
The groove was deep enough to see clearly and feel with your fingernail. I'd say .005 to .010 inch deep. I remember seeing it, but didn't know if it was a wear mark or a machined feature.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

triz

Apr 22, 2013
What did you use to install it?

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
bgonzo said:
Yes, I can actually see it coming from the seal when the engine is running. Its a slow drip at idle and heavier at part throttle. I cant tell for sure if its coming from the O.D. or the I.D. but it is definitely the shaft seal and not the timing cover.

The truck has 190,000 miles.
The groove was deep enough to see clearly and feel with your fingernail. I'd say .005 to .010 inch deep. I remember seeing it, but didn't know if it was a wear mark or a machined feature.

Usually that a wear mark. You'll probably need a new balancer and seal.

alupparelli

May 1, 2012
I have a 2002 trailblazer 4.2L with an oil leak at front crankshaft seal. It seems to be fine at idle, but starts gushing at 2000 - 2500 rpm. I pulled the balance and replaced the seal, but it is still leaking (might even be a little worse).

Any idea what could be causing this?

I did re-use the old balancer, and there did seem to be a slight groove cut in it (maybe from the old seal), so I guess it could be a bad balancer.

Is it possible that it could be too much pressure in the crankcase?

Hi
You did it solve the problem with the seal and leakage of oil from the crankshaft?
When you get the Harmonic Balancer, as you managed to lock the crankshaft to loosen the Harmonic Balancer bolt ?

crzychrs

Jul 8, 2020
Jacksonville FL
I am curious if this solved yiur problem. I have an 02 as well that pours oil from the same area. After finally getting the har. bal. bolt out my local auto parts store did not have the correct puller. If anyone has any idea how to slow this leak down a bit that would be amazing information. Ty

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This Thread pretty much covers the entire problem...and the Specific Tools and Solution for your particular Year-Make-Model:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online