oil leak after disconnect replacement???

mark'stb

Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
Replaced the disconnect a few months ago. Is there a seal between the oil pan and 4wd disconnect that could leak engine oil? I'm trying to track down a leak. I cleaned the oil pan with some brakleen and replaced the drain plug. Just looks too high of a leak to be the drain plug.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
No. The tube for the axle through the oil pan is molded into the pan and completely separate.

The oil filter is near there as well. Could be that or the pressure switch. If it is the pan's RTV seal, it is just a coincidence.

mark'stb

Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
Thanks Mooseman. After a 30 mile drive today, it was still dry. I'll check again this weekend.

Bill Reid

Dec 18, 2015
Chandler, AZ
Mark,
Does the leak stink of gear oil or motor oil? Distinct differences... as there is no mistaking gear oil. It stinks. Is the pan wet with oil above the disconnect? Since you cleaned it... check it later... if its leaking again then smell it. Yes, the front diff can leak on its inner seal... which is the seal the intermediate shaft uses as the shaft passes through the pan over to the disconnect. But I would think that the leak would just pass straight down and you would see it more pronounced on the driver side than over on the passenger (disconnect) side. There is no seal for the differential or disconnect to the pan itself. Each just fits into its respective pan opening as they are bolted in place.
Bill

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobby2175