Oil filter leaking...

midnightbluS10

Original poster
Feb 18, 2017
Shreveport, LA
What's up guys. Finally got everything done on my engine after replacing the head. It runs flawlessly. Got the AC vac'ed and charged. Got the pcv hose replaced. Trucks been running great!

Fast forward to yesterday and I noticed a wet spot about 4-6 inches in diameter under the pass side of the engine. Not wet as in a puddle but the concrete was obviously damp from however many drips that made the circle. A quick look and feel tells me that the oil filter is dripping every so often. I lubed the o-ring, cleaned the sealing surface, and tightened hand tight plus 1/4 turn. The old o-ring wasn't stuck to the block, either.

Anybody ran into this on their tblazer? Any idea what caused it? Maybe a bad filter? Just trying to get my ducks in a row. I'm going to replace the filter to be certain that's not it. This has never happened before on this truck. Just looking for things to check in case it isn't the filter itself. Being its only 4am, I can't go out there and work on it yet so I'm researching.

Thanks.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Never seen it before, but sh!t happens. What filter is it? I've never had an issue with Wix filters on any vehicle that I've done.

Reactions: xavierny25

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Could try snugging it a bit more. Not cranking it of course.

I'd be thinking there's a problem with the filter itself perhaps. Never had an issue before.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I have only had that with the double gasket from the old one sticking as stated above

Reactions: Redbeard

RTTBLT1

Jan 25, 2016
Louisburg, KS
If you change out the oil filter again and try all suggestions above and it still seems to be coming from the oil filter, you may look into the oil pressure sensor which is located just above the filter. Maybe the o-ring on the OPS has gone bad.

Reactions: Mounce

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Third for oil pressure switch, if the oil filter doesn't fix the issue. That's the only oil leak we've ever had on ours. They can fail and leak oil through the sensor and out of the plug, but when they do that they often throw the low oil pressure light as well. It's directly above the filter so it could give you a false positive.

midnightbluS10

Original poster
Feb 18, 2017
Shreveport, LA
Well it hasn't leaked since that day. It has a new oil pressure sensor already. As posted originally, the gasket wasn't stuck or anything. I tightened it a smidgeon and it's been fine ever since.

Now to address the very small power steering leak on my 2001 Blazer. I just replaced the pressure line and fixed 95% of it but it still has a random drip from somewhere. I'm thinking it's the steering gear box that's leaking. It's not coming from any connections and not from the pressure hose. I need to degrease the front, lower part of my engine now, so I can figure out where it's coming from. It's extremely clean except for the collection of power steering fluid, dirt, grease, and grime that's accumulated in that area. Then I've gotta replace the ac compressor.

Apparently my pressures were too high and my last gauge was bad, so I'd been running it at way too much pressure and it killed my 2 yr old Compressor that's out of warranty by 3 months. Ugh.

Reactions: Redbeard

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If wanting assistance on the Blazer's PS, please start a new thread.

midnightbluS10

Original poster
Feb 18, 2017
Shreveport, LA
Didn't need any assistance. Was just posting info about what I did and was planning after the filter fix. That's all.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online