NEED HELP Oil dipstick measurement

Mramses

Original poster
Jul 19, 2020
Buenas tardes a todos los amigos de GMTnation recurro a ustedes con el fin de saber cuál es la medida real de la varilla de medición de aceite de motor de una Trailblazer 2002 Vortec 4200 motor 6 en línea. Esto debido a que mi varilla se quebró.
gracias amigos, escribí en español a ver si se traduce solo :smile:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
[Google Translated]

Good afternoon to all the friends of GMTnation I turn to you in order to know what is the real measurement of the engine oil dipstick of a Trailblazer 2002 Vortec 4200 inline 6 engine. This is because my rod broke.
Thanks friends, I wrote in Spanish to see if it translates only

No, this site will not translate automatically so please translate before posting (like you had been doing before). I also translated the title.

The empty oil pan takes 7 quarts or 6.6L of oil. If your disptick broke in the tube, you will likely need to remove the entire dipstick to retrieve the remnants of it. If it's the plastic end that broke off, then it fell into the pan. I just hope that particular type of plastic doesn't float in oil or you might need to remove the pan to retrieve it if it doesn't come out with the oil.

When getting a replacement, I suggest getting one from a later year with the metal end instead of the plastic. It is sturdier and also easier to read.

Reactions: Mramses

flyboy2610

Aug 24, 2021
Lincoln, Ne.
When getting a replacement, I suggest getting one from a later year with the metal end instead of the plastic. It is sturdier and also easier to read.
I have to make a trip to the local automobile recycling center tomorrow anyway, so I may grab a dipstick. Do you know what year they started using the metal ones?

Reactions: Mramses

Mramses

Original poster
Jul 19, 2020
good night friends I hope everyone is well. I apologize for not having translated my writing earlier, it will not happen again.
my Trailblazer is 2002 4.2 engine, 6 inline.
this heading the metal rod not the tube. So I ask you for help if you can measure the rod please.
thanks friends

Mramses

Original poster
Jul 19, 2020
I have to make a trip to the local automobile recycling center tomorrow anyway, so I may grab a dipstick. Do you know what year they started using the metal ones?
Yes friend. My Trailblazer is 2002. If you can help me with the measurement of the rod, not the tube. I need is the measure of the rod to see how much it is missing. It did not break inside the carter, it was outside that they broke it and they did not find the missing part.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
IIRC, 2004+

It did not break inside the carter, it was outside that they broke it and they did not find the missing part.
That is a relief that it didn't break inside the oil pan (carter).

flyboy2610

Aug 24, 2021
Lincoln, Ne.
IIRC, 2004+
One more question: Is the metal one the one with all the cross-hatching, or the one with the lines like the one you show in the picture? Thanks, Mooseman!
PS: Collecting stuffed mooses (meese?) is kind of a hobby of mine! When I was in driver training for Werner Enterprises they told us NEVER blow your air horn at a moose! They will interpret it as a challenge, and they will come right over the hood and into the cab to get you!
And thank you as well, TJ!

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
One more question: Is the metal one the one with all the cross-hatching, or the one with the lines like the one you show in the picture? Thanks, Mooseman!
Yes, it has crosshatches. The one in @TJBaker57 's pic is the plastic one.

flyboy2610

Aug 24, 2021
Lincoln, Ne.
OK, thanks! My '04 and the wife's '06 both have the crosshatch type.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online