Oil change

06_trailblazin

Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
I was wondering,what is the correct oil filter for a 06 4.2l... I just had my oil changed at Costco and the invoice said it takes 6.1l and a ph5288 oil filter. I tried to see if I could see and markings but it is to hard to see it...all I can tell is that it is white. I looked up that oil filter # and it looks liked that # is used for full size Chevy trucks. Until I can get under and see if that is the one they used or not, I don't know if I have the right one on there.
:crazy::hissyfit::confused:

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
06_trailblazin said:
I was wondering,what is the correct oil filter for a 06 4.2l... I just had my oil changed at Costco and the invoice said it takes 6.1l and a ph5288 oil filter. I tried to see if I could see and markings but it is to hard to see it...all I can tell is that it is white. I looked up that oil filter # and it looks liked that # is used for full size Chevy trucks. Until I can get under and see if that is the one they used or not, I don't know if I have the right one on there.
:crazy::hissyfit::confused:

Hmm ive seen costco just change tires and batteries. They dont change oill in my town. The oil filiter is PF61-E fill Is 7 quarts.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
7 quarts is just over 6.6 litres.

6.1 might be right if they used the teeny tiny filter.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
meerschm said:
7 quarts is just over 6.6 litres.

6.1 might be right if they used the teeny tiny filter.

PH9837 is listed on the Fram site.

06_trailblazin

Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
meerschm said:
Amazon.com: Premium Guard PO5288 Oil Filter: Automotive

this is a 5288 which is listed as PF-61 size

kind of cheap, but looks like the righ size.

what kind of oil did they use?

and have you checked the level?

They only use Castrol edge... 5w30 for my truck. Ya the last time I had it changed was there,back In early May or so...the oil change light came on so it was time for a change...only put about 6000 Km's on it. The level is good she does not lose a drop.:smile:

Forgot to mention... I will be doing my own oil changes from now on...nothing but Mobil 1 5w30 and Mobil 1 oil filters from now on.
:wootwoot:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
06_trailblazin said:
...the last time I had it changed was there,back In early May or so...the oil change light came on so it was time for a change...only put about 6000 Km's on it. ...
I'm confused. When you had the oil changed in May, the OLM light came on? And they reset it and it came on again after only 6000 Km? Normal expectation has been that the light goes on every 8-11K miles, which should have given you 12,000 Kms minimum.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
the roadie said:
I'm confused. When you had the oil changed in May, the OLM light came on? And they reset it and it came on again after only 6000 Km? Normal expectation has been that the light goes on every 8-11K miles, which should have given you 12,000 Kms minimum.

The OLM light comes on based in part upon how many revs. This is something that's not obvious.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
CaptainXL said:
The OLM light comes on based in part upon how many revs. This is something that's not obvious.
I know that, and my offroading in 4LO probably generates a few more revs per average odometer mile than anybody who drives exclusively on the street. A 6000 Km interval is still shorter than I would figure by at least a factor of 2.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
CaptainXL said:
OK. Just wanted to make that clear for the uninitiated.
Hehe. Mrs. Roadie was just looking over my shoulder and used a phrase we first heard on Gilmore Girls: "Will you two please put those things away before somebody loses an eye?" :rotfl: :tongue: :yes: :rotfl:

Added: It's so much nicer here than the OS when we try to compete with each other to be the most helpful Boy Scout in the troop. Brings everybody to a higher level of helpfulness. :wink:

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
:deadhorse:

Last time I looked at my owners manual, it did say 1 year was the max, regardless of the indicated remaining life, and if the OLM lost it's mind or was reset accidently, that 3000 miles was the default interval to use.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online