oil change

amfm

Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
Hi, i'm new in the forum!

I have a TB 06, changed the oil in my car but started making a sound like bells, a friend told me that they put the oil is not appropriate, I would like to know what is right? thanks

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Welcome! The proper kind of oil is listed in the owner's manual, and is 5W-30. Also printed on your oil fill cap. The proper amount is 7 quarts. Is your oil level OK on the dipstick? What kind did you put in?

amfm

Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
iI do not know but a mechanic told me that the sound was for the type of oil that had

should i use 5w 30?

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
amfm said:
iI do not know but a mechanic told me that the sound was for the type of oil that had

should i use 5w 30?
yes, you should use 5W30 just like it says on the oil cap.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
There are some exceptions to the 5W-30 listed in the owners manual. But unless you are in a normally very cold climate, the 5W-30 will be fine.

I heard people complain their engine just never liked brand X. Every time they used it the had noise that every other brand didn't cause. Nothing consistent though. You may want to check to see what was used to fill your engine as well as the level on the dipstick.

amfm

Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
thanks, my car have 120,000 km what kind of oil is recommended?

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
The most important thing is use a good quality oil filter(Penzoil, NAPA, WIX, Mobile 1, K&N), usually most any except FRAM.
You'll get 1000 different answers on oil.
Use 7 quarts of 5W30 in most instances.
Many here use a high quality synthetic (Mobile1, Amsoil, Royal Purple).
Others use a high quality mineral(non synthetic) oil.

If you have the oil life monitor use it.
Ideally when it says to change it send off your oil sample to somewhere like blackstone labs and have them analyze it.
Do some research on bobistheoilguy and you can learn all you need to know.

Personally I change mine every 7500 miles with a high quality synthetic(whatever is on sale) which is about 2X per year.

03envoy

Dec 25, 2011
amfm said:
thanks, my car have 120,000 km what kind of oil is recommended?

I use mobil one and love it. I would suggest it.

fishguy1123

Dec 5, 2011
What is available in your area? A lot of people like synthetics, mobile 1, amsoil are both good. What does the shop you use have?

amfm

Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
fishguy1123 said:
What is available in your area? A lot of people like synthetics, mobile 1, amsoil are both good. What does the shop you use have?

someone recommended me the ACDelco 20W40

any comments?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
amfm said:

any comments?
Yes. 20W40 is not 5W30.

The person who recommended that to you wrong. Very simply WRONG.

Don't you have this on your oil cap, or in your OWNER'S MANUAL???????

View attachment 20087

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 15

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
GM has been using 5W-30 for years now. A little boost in miles per gallon but much better cold weather flow than 10W or 20W. With the tighter clearences in modern engines, getting the oil moving quicker is important.

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
If the bells sounded like church bells I think I would use Quaker State. :biggrin:

I can't tell if he's trolling or not.

Anyway, 5w30 man! 7 quarts. Check your oil level to make sure your still adequate if you go longer between oil changes, sometimes these engines eat a little oil.

-Jerry

MacMan

Mar 3, 2012
He asked this same question on the "other site"....twice! I don't know why the OP is having such hard time looking in the owners manual.

bleu7

Mar 27, 2012
navigator said:
The most important thing is use a good quality oil filter(Penzoil, NAPA, WIX, Mobile 1, K&N), usually most any except FRAM.
You'll get 1000 different answers on oil.
Use 7 quarts of 5W30 in most instances.
Many here use a high quality synthetic (Mobile1, Amsoil, Royal Purple).
Others use a high quality mineral(non synthetic) oil.

If you have the oil life monitor use it.
Ideally when it says to change it send off your oil sample to somewhere like blackstone labs and have them analyze it.
Do some research on bobistheoilguy and you can learn all you need to know.

Personally I change mine every 7500 miles with a high quality synthetic(whatever is on sale) which is about 2X per year.

why anything but FRAM, ive ran almost nothing but fram for the last 50,000 miles and have had no noticeable issues....

also is there any harm switching from conventional oil to synthetic oil? or if say i was to go from syn to conventional?

also how do ya feel about Castrol Edge w/Titanium?

04Trailblazer

Feb 27, 2012
bleu7 said:
why anything but FRAM, ive ran almost nothing but fram for the last 50,000 miles and have had no noticeable issues....

also is there any harm switching from conventional oil to synthetic oil? or if say i was to go from syn to conventional?

also how do ya feel about Castrol Edge w/Titanium?

FRAM filters are known for there cheapness of a filter, just very thin and papery. I run nothing but AC Delco oil filters in mine. I wont even think about FRAM filters ever in my TB. And swithing from Conventional oil to synthetic oil wont cause any harm. You just wont have to change your oil as much :smile: . Use whatever oil floats your boat. I use Mobil super 5000 oil. and it works great. Good luck!

bleu7

Mar 27, 2012
04Trailblazer said:
FRAM filters are known for there cheapness of a filter, just very thin and papery. I run nothing but AC Delco oil filters in mine. I wont even think about FRAM filters ever in my TB. And swithing from Conventional oil to synthetic oil wont cause any harm. You just wont have to change your oil as much :smile: . Use whatever oil floats your boat. I use Mobil super 5000 oil. and it works great. Good luck!

Yeah I know they arent made for longetivity but I change my filterand oil at 3000, thinking of switching up to Full Syn since I drive so much that I find myself changing my oil every month to month and a half

How about the oil Castrol Edge w//Titanium?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
bleu7 said:
... I change my filterand oil at 3000, ...
You know that's an outdated marketing myth spouted by the oil change industry to increase their profits at the expense of the environment? Any reason you don't trust the Oil Life Monitor system GM engineers put in there? Typically you can get 10K miles out of an oil change safely.

rmsg0040

Dec 10, 2011
amfm said:

any comments?

Drain that oil and replace with the correct one. Keep the filter.

Whoever recommended you that oil is incorrect and doesnt know what they are talking about.

Trust but verify.

bleu7

Mar 27, 2012
the roadie said:
You know that's an outdated marketing myth spouted by the oil change industry to increase their profits at the expense of the environment? Any reason you don't trust the Oil Life Monitor system GM engineers put in there? Typically you can get 10K miles out of an oil change safely.

Well my 2006 model doesnt have the on board computer it just shows the mileage and trip miles. Unkess you mean one of the warning lights on the dashboard, 10k??? Never heard such high numbers, heard 5k 8k but 10k thats amazing!

Anyone tried the Valvoline NextGen, recycled oil? Been thinking of trying it out

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
bleu7 said:
Well my 2006 model doesnt have the on board computer it just shows the mileage and trip miles. Unkess you mean one of the warning lights on the dashboard, ...
The OLM system is discussed in the Owner's Manual, and yes - it drives the Change Oil light on the dashboard. It watches environmental conditions and your driving habits. If it was good enough to keep the GM OEM warranty in effect, I'd tend to trust it, and many members report getting as much as 10K out of the system before it turns on the light. Search for "OLM" or "oil life monitor" for more discussions.

bleu7

Mar 27, 2012
the roadie said:
The OLM system is discussed in the Owner's Manual, and yes - it drives the Change Oil light on the dashboard. It watches environmental conditions and your driving habits. If it was good enough to keep the GM OEM warranty in effect, I'd tend to trust it, and many members report getting as much as 10K out of the system before it turns on the light. Search for "OLM" or "oil life monitor" for more discussions.

Ok thanks, will do right now, the omly reasom I am changing the oil right now is because I put the wrong weight in, also how do you feel about FRAM filtrrs yourself?

bleu7 said:
Well my 2006 model doesnt have the on board computer it just shows the mileage and trip miles. Unkess you mean one of the warning lights on the dashboard, 10k??? Never heard such high numbers, heard 5k 8k but 10k thats amazing!

Anyone tried the Valvoline NextGen, recycled oil? Been thinking of trying it out

I just changed my oil after 15,500 or so miles, running AMSOIL signature series and a 25k filter.

Steve

MDBT

Jan 26, 2012
the roadie said:

A.P. Sloan was also fond of the term "planned obsolescence" so I'm not sure how much more I'm supposed to trust GM over the oil change guys.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just search for fram on YouTube. You'll never use one again. Purolator has started showing them in their commercials basically saying why use cardboard?

n0kfb

Dec 8, 2011
In addition to saying use 5w-30 weight oil, the owners manual also states the oil needs to meet GM 6094 specifications as well. Not every oil out there meets this spec, but it isn't too hard to find.

-- Dan Meyer :coffee:

bleu7

Mar 27, 2012
n0kfb said:
In addition to saying use 5w-30 weight oil, the owners manual also states the oil needs to meet GM 6094 specifications as well. Not every oil out there meets this spec, but it isn't too hard to find.

-- Dan Meyer :coffee:

I have finally switched to 5w-30 Castrol EDGE Full Synthetic and Bosch Distance Plus Filter :biggrin:

benz01

Jun 2, 2012
Kansas
Anyone use Mobile 1 Advance Fuel Economy 0W-30? It claims to have the same warranty protection that 5w-30 and 10w-30 requirements.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Unless you live is a very cold climate in winter (like mine), there is no advantage to using a 0W weight oil. The first number says how well it will pump when cold. 0W oil is about as low viscosity as you can get.

Spyw

Apr 23, 2012
amfm said:

any comments?

1979849-this_is_madness.jpg

...you need better friends.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher