Oil Change Tricks?

twinners

Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
Just wondering if anybody has any secrets for not getting oil everywhere when they take the old oil filter off? Due to the excellent placement of the cross bar I seem to have oil run all over when I tip it to get the filter out. I was thinking about poking a hole in the filter to drain the oil out first but not sure if that is a good idea or not. Thanks for any help.

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
twinners said:
Just wondering if anybody has any secrets for not getting oil everywhere when they take the old oil filter off? Due to the excellent placement of the cross bar I seem to have oil run all over when I tip it to get the filter out. I was thinking about poking a hole in the filter to drain the oil out first but not sure if that is a good idea or not. Thanks for any help.
I like to punch a hole in the bottom of the filter and let it drain out slowly. You can use a screwdriver and hammer.

You can also take the shield off for easier access.

Reactions: dmanns67

linneje

Apr 26, 2012
You can use a Ziploc bag around the filter to catch the mess. You have to use a fairly large bag, but it is a way to avoid oil everywhere. My GM van has a lot easier access to the filter so I don't have to bother, but the Envoy does have it in a tough spot and orientation.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
/\ This /\

Then I loosen the oil filter and while it's holding on by a turn or 2, I let it drain down for a few minutes.

The large ziploc bag is a good idea also.

I poked a hole in my filter once, then I thought what if the new filter is defective in someway then I would need a spare to drive it. Likely would never happen but Mr.Murphy visits from time to time.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
when my engine goes back in with a c6 oil pan, i'm doing a remote filter (c6 filter location is above the rack/rear crossmember). using a mr gasket 7960, going to plumb it with -8an to the front cross member. will be so stinkin easy to replace!

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
I always remove the whole cover plate thing and the filter is still in a tight spot. Idk how anyone could change the filter through that little access door.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Mounce said:
I always remove the whole cover plate thing and the filter is still in a tight spot. Idk how anyone could change the filter through that little access door.
I've done it but if the TB/Voy is not up on a lift it ain't easy.

BuckeyeEvan

Apr 1, 2012
On my old vehichle I had (Explorer)...I cut the bottom off of a two liter bottle. Squeeze bottle as I would hand turn the filter until it would drop into bottle.
Not sure if this would work with the V8 (I never changed my oil.. coupon at the local oil change place is too close to the price of DYI)

jmonica

Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
On my old vehichle I had (Explorer)...I cut the bottom off of a two liter bottle. Squeeze bottle as I would hand turn the filter until it would drop into bottle.
Not sure if this would work with the V8 (I never changed my oil.. coupon at the local oil change place is too close to the price of DYI)
Old thread I know but this is a good idea for Envoys an TB's especially

Jkb242

May 19, 2019
CLT
I'm with BrianF on this one.

Remove the skid plate to gain access to the filter. But I'll add that getting a Harbor Freight, NAPA, or Autozone 5" deep pan which is large enough for all the oil engine and filter, to minimize the clutter beneath the vehicle after you lift the vehicle with a floor jack directly at the frame member but securing it with jack stands before beginning and the oil change will be the safest and best it can be. Never attempt to punch a hole in the filter (in case this was not a suggestive joke) to drain the filter.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
I'm with BrianF on this one.

Remove the skid plate to gain access to the filter. But I'll add that getting a Harbor Freight, NAPA, or Autozone 5" deep pan which is large enough for all the oil engine and filter, to minimize the clutter beneath the vehicle after you lift the vehicle with a floor jack directly at the frame member but securing it with jack stands before beginning and the oil change will be the safest and best it can be. Never attempt to punch a hole in the filter (in case this was not a suggestive joke) to drain the filter.

My Voy is dropped 2 inches and I have never lifted it to do an oil and filter change. I guess I'm lazy. Lol. Beside I can get at the filter with the wheels turned all the way to the right/passenger side to get a little more head room.20191025_143151.jpg

Reactions: BrianF

Beacon

Mar 22, 2019
SouthWestern PA
You could install a remote oil filter kit, this might also allow for a larger filter to be used. I had an 4 cyl that had a horizontal filter mounted between the block and firewall. everytime i changed the oil, some would always make it to the exhaust, which led to a complaint from the wife. Not only did the remote kit shut her up, it made the oil change easier on me, and i was able to use a bigger filter (V-8). I bought it from Summit, although I'm sure there are other suppliers

edit: I just realized the OP is 5 years old, oh well

Reactions: BrianF and Redbeard

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online