Oil change coming up....time to do the Top Engine Clean......a question or two please.

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
I've seen most of the links to the T.E.C. procedure but just want to clarify a few things....How much of the AC Delco TEC needs to go into each cylinder? I've seen quantities from 10 oz of the liquid in each cylinder to a few squirts of the foaming cleaner? And now that I mention it....Should I go with the Liquid? Or the foaming spray?

Also, I know I have to drain the oil and replace the filter after the soak, but do I need to do another short oil change after that? Or can I just do a regular oil change and run it for the 4000 mile interval? Thanks all for any info.

P.S. Envoy still running sweet after the PCM was finally diagnosed and replaced!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I think the foaming one is better to get to the top of the combustion chamber. Because each cylinder will have the pistons at different positions, it will take different amounts unless you turn the engine to have each at TDC when you spray it.

I'll defer to @MRRSM as he is the SME on this stuff.

Reactions: mrrsm

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
That's a good point Mooseman! Thank you! For some reason I wasn't even thinking about the head/valves soaking. I was thinking the soak was mainly for the top of the pistons and the rings. Are the valves and head combustion chamber supposed to soak also? Thanks for any add'l info all.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Wouldn't be a bad idea. I know @MRRSM has used it a lot and got great results.

Reactions: mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Coincidentally, Rick ( @rchalmers3 ) is currently troubled with a Random Misfire Problem on his 2005 Sierra LS Motor via THIS Thread ...

...and he, along with anyone else dealing with Excessive Carbon Build Up in the Combustion Chambers, Piston Heads, Valves & Valve Seats and Trapped Compression Rings would probably benefit from checking out these 'well documented threads' available concerning All There Is To Know About ACDelco Top Engine Cleaner and the proper procedures for its successful use for Carbon Busting any Engine:

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Because this question about TEC comes up on a regular basis, I've added the TEC threads to the 4.2 and 5.3 FAQs.

Reactions: xavierny25

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online