Oil additive....

Rubberman

Original poster
Dec 14, 2011
Any good oil additives for the engine to reduce start up clatter ?

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
I think sea foam will be your best bet to start the addiditives really don't do much I just run them through to make myself feel good lol

vipergg

Dec 7, 2011
lint said:
I use "STP"" Been around for a long time, Nothing fancy . I have a tick in the morning and it stopped after putting some in .
there are no solids in it. But i like to stay away from additives if i can too.

Fights friction to help protect against engine wear by providing a thicker cushion between moving engine parts.

STP® Fuel & Oil Additives - Choose The Best Fuel Additive For Your Car

I used something called Tufoil for many years and it did make the engine run noticebly smoother and increased the mpg a couple of mpg. I know most will say you don't need anything with todays oil and filters. I cansay the stuff worked and never caused any issues with the engine which it just made run smoother. It has been awhile since I have used but it's still around though not cheap at $12 a bottle.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
Just switch to synthetic oil, shouldn't need any additional additives.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
I use full synthetic oil but I still add sea foam. It has helped only slightly but I have bigger issues with my voy than what sea foam can take care of. I can say though that it did help with the rough start and gave me SLIGHTLY better mpg's....I got like 3 extra mpg :wink:

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
Voymom said:
....I got like 3 extra mpg :wink:
That is a big increase.........like 15 to 20 percent :thumbsup:

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
RayVoy said:
That is a big increase.........like 15 to 20 percent :thumbsup:

LOL especially when you were only getting 10mpg to start with lol What can I say? I probably bought a lemon lmao but it's MY lemon so that is all that matters! :raspberry:

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
this makes me wonder is ZMax really works too?

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
Voymom said:
LOL especially when you were only getting 10mpg to start with lol What can I say? I probably bought a lemon lmao but it's MY lemon so that is all that matters! :raspberry:
Well, you know what they say to do with lemons, haha, these trucks are not the best for your gas dollar, but a few tweaks will give considerable improvements. Add a little air to the tires and change the front O2 sensor.

Dad-O-Matic

Dec 5, 2011
Voymom said:
LOL especially when you were only getting 10mpg to start with lol

IDK if you got a lemon, mine gets 13-13.5 mpg (calculated not DIC) which sounds close to what your getting after your 3 mpg increase, I have basically the same truck.

I would love to get the 17 mpg some of these guys are reporting.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Dad-O-Matic said:
I think I'll put 'em all in, I should get maybe 30-35 mpg? :rotfl:

:crackup::rotfl:

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
[EBAY][/EBAY]
Boricua SS said:
this makes me wonder is ZMax really works too?
I will buy the zmax if you will break down your engine and investigate win-win situation really

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
STLtrailbSS said:
[EBAY][/EBAY]
I will buy the zmax if you will break down your engine and investigate win-win situation really

:hahano:.. i dont think so my friend!!!.. i did see on an episode of TruckU, tey compared and broke it down and showed what it does... but im not sold... never have been on Oil or Fuel Additives.... Knock on wood, i havent really needed it in all my years of driving...

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
I call the truck a lemon because I happened to notice 35 reports on the carfax, and was way TOO scared to pull the whole report so I have no clue what's on it lol

I do know it was made in Oklahoma, and that's about it lol I knew if I pulled the whole report hubby would have made me walk away, and I was so tired of looking and not finding what we needed and wanted.

Anyways,

We used to add STP to the gas but it made the engines run a bit tough, we then used this marine stuff...have to ask hubby what it was called as I forget and that crap worked wonders!!! Now we have used sea foam...and I only notice a bit of a difference, however I need to get an oil change done because i'm pretty sure the stealership has dino oil in it and not full synthetic.

Djordan2

Feb 5, 2012
I have used lucas Oil Stabalizer alot in my 02 TB to silence some noisy lifters and Seems to do the trick, used some STP oil
additive last Oil change and the Noise Came back So next oil change Ill go back to the Lucas. I also run some Sea Foam every
Second Oil change to clean my engine.. Might be a little too much but She is getting up there in age... :worried:

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
Djordan2 said:
I have used lucas Oil Stabalizer alot in my 02 TB to silence some noisy lifters and Seems to do the trick, used some STP oil
additive last Oil change and the Noise Came back So next oil change Ill go back to the Lucas. I also run some Sea Foam every
Second Oil change to clean my engine.. Might be a little too much but She is getting up there in age... :worried:
So, what's that tell us? The Lucas leaves a film, the STP removes all films. Something tells me, that that is not good for an engine.

I just use oil. I usually run my vehicles for hundreds of miles, the trucks get a lot of stop and start, the cars are used more on the highways (and driven by my wife).

I haven't had an engine problem (related to lubrication) in 40 years (knock on wood).

I know, if you buy used (and I usually do) you can't control the previous maintenance on the vehicle and, I know sometimes the oil needs something to quiet a noisy engine; sometimes, ya gotta buy it; but, I don't hold additives in high regard.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
None. Lucas for example can cause oil foaming. Not cool.

BTW, the I6 does not have lifters to get noisy. It is OHC so something else had to have been making the racket :wink:

Voymom said:
I call the truck a lemon because I happened to notice 35 reports on the carfax, and was way TOO scared to pull the whole report so I have no clue what's on it lol

I am pretty sure the vast majority of those reports are as simple as "chassis lubricated" and "oil changed" and stuff like that. If the previous owner had the dealership do any of that stuff, it'll show up on the carfax. The carfax for my previous car had a lot of maintenance related items in it from the first owner. Then the owner before me got it and had nothing on record, and it showed :hahano:

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Sparky said:

BTW, the I6 does not have lifters to get noisy. It is OHC so something else had to have been making the racket :wink:

I am pretty sure the vast majority of those reports are as simple as "chassis lubricated" and "oil changed" and stuff like that. If the previous owner had the dealership do any of that stuff, it'll show up on the carfax. The carfax for my previous car had a lot of maintenance related items in it from the first owner. Then the owner before me got it and had nothing on record, and it showed :hahano:

Not saying the second owner did or didn't do any maintenance, but if it wasn't reported to CarFax, it won't be in the report.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Wooluf1952 said:
Not saying the second owner did or didn't do any maintenance, but if it wasn't reported to CarFax, it won't be in the report.

Oh I know, none of my maintenance will show on carfax either. It was a tongue-in-cheek thing, because the car when I got it had quite obviously not been maintained well at all.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Sparky said:
Oh I know, none of my maintenance will show on carfax either. It was a tongue-in-cheek thing, because the car when I got it had quite obviously not been maintained well at all.

OK. Got it. :thumbsup:

Djordan2

Feb 5, 2012
Sparky said:

BTW, the I6 does not have lifters to get noisy. It is OHC so something else had to have been making the racket
Guess thats what I get for listening to the dealer...lol but what do you mean by OHC?

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Djordan2 said:
Guess thats what I get for listening to the dealer...lol but what do you mean by OHC?

Over head cam i do believe

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
:yes:

khill

Jan 7, 2012
"Hy-per lube" or "Lubrakleen"

You should be able to find hyperlube at knetchs or napa or wherever you shop auto. Lubrakleen you can pretty much only get online, google it.

I've used both before with good results, though I typically only use hyperlube unless the engine needs some cleaning out. Both are compatible with synthetic.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
Sparky said:
BTW, the I6 does not have lifters to get noisy. It is OHC so something else had to have been making the racket
You are right, the I6 does not have hydraulic lifters. A lifter is required when the cam is in the block. There are two types, solid and hydraulic, the solid requires a very precise lash adjustment, and frequent adjustment as the pieces wear; the hydraulic is not so precise and provides for component wear.

We do not need lifters, but we do require lash adjusters; again, there are both types, we use hydraulic. And, like the hydraulic lifters, they can become noisy and clatter.

Brewins

Feb 10, 2012
I found this article interesting from consumer reorts regarding a test they conducted on different engine oils and additives on New York city cabs :

Return to last page

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
I too use Seafoam when I'm within 500 miles in changing my oil. I don't have any noise or engine problems (for now) but it doesn't hurt.

As to the Lucas Oil Stabilizer; I've read on Bob is the Oil Guy that all it does is thickens the oil. Members sent in a virgin sample and the results show that it has no real additives to give benefits. The viscosity is high though. From there, multiple members suggested that if you're going to use that stabilizer, just move up to a thicker oil grade. Others mentioned foaming (as stated ^^ and a link to a test of that What about Additives?) and dilutes the real additives in your oil.

But... my father and I have used it back in the day with no real harm. Then again no real benefits either.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online