Offroad Trip Report: Palm Wash & Calcite Mine Trail, Anza Borrego, CA

The_Roadie

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Posted elsewhere a few months ago, but this sort of thread tends to serve as inspiration for mods, and to show how they're actually functional in the field. Enjoy!

Shakedown cruise for the RTT, and shockingly enough, Mrs. Roadie insisted on going as long as I promised it would not be freezing. Forecast was for 75 high, 50 low, so she packed up. Problem was, I neglected to check for wind, and a front was coming through and the peak gusts were 50 MPH! Ick. Subsides after 3AM, but sleeping before that was difficult for the rain fly flapping. We deployed for practice and packed up the changing room because of the wind, and had to use rocks to hold down the tent overhang lines because I forgot to pack my sand stakes or corkscrews, and the sand was too loose for regular stakes. 100 pound rocks worked fine.

Met my company owner out there with his built Jeep, but he's mostly a backpacker, so the picture of his tent is minimalist.

After the wind blew through, we were treated to the best visibility I have ever had in the area I'd been to over a dozen times - 100+ miles. And perfect hiking temperature, so we went into a short slot canyon I hadn't seen mentioned before in the usual hiking guides.

There has to be a calendar-worthy shot in here somewhere.

palm08.jpg

palm09.jpg

palm10.jpg

palm11.jpg

palm12.jpg

Life hangs on in the most difficult places

palm13.jpg

palm14.jpg

New kitchen table stove shelf thingie

palm15.jpg

palm16.jpg

palm17.jpg

My boss' car camping table.

palm18.jpg

palm19.jpg

I am NOT HAPPY with this wind....

palm20.jpg

palm21.jpg

palm22.jpg

palm23.jpg

palm24.jpg

palm25.jpg

Sandstone loves to flake off and fall in blocks. Don't camp under overhangs.

palm26.jpg

palm27.jpg

palm28.jpg

The_Roadie

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
More pics:

palm29.jpg

palm30.jpg

palm31.jpg

Calcite crystals, the reason for the mine road. These were used in WW2 bombsights because of their unique optical qualities. (birefringence, if you want to Google to learn more)

palm32.jpg

palm33.jpg

palm34.jpg

palm35.jpg

palm36.jpg

palm37.jpg

palm38.jpg

palm39.jpg

palm40.jpg

palm41.jpg

palm42.jpg

palm43.jpg

palm44.jpg

palm45.jpg

palm46.jpg

palm47.jpg

palm48.jpg

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Some really good pics there. It would be nice to have some time to explore the west coast.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher