Off Road Setup help...

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
As my info to the left says I have an 02 TB Ltz 4x4 that I'm looking at makeing it more off road capable. The kinda off roading I'll be doing is mostly 2 tracking. Two thingd I'm gunna do to it is, More ground clearence and Moderately agressive tires. I'll probally add on to this list as I think of more stuff I want to do. Now should I upgrade the shocks, and Differentials? Seeing that I'm not seriously offroading. Now this is going to be a daily driver as well so I really don't want to sacrifice a whole lot just to offroad. My TB is Just shy of 140K miles, so should I really make it more offroad capable?

Here is what I'm looking at.

MarkMc 2.5" Lift.
Cooper Discoverer Cooper Discoverer A/T3 265/65R17

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
Cable810 said:
As my info to the left says I have an 02 TB Ltz 4x4 that I'm looking at makeing it more off road capable. The kinda off roading I'll be doing is mostly 2 tracking. Two thingd I'm gunna do to it is, More ground clearence and Moderately agressive tires. I'll probally add on to this list as I think of more stuff I want to do. Now should I upgrade the shocks, and Differentials? Seeing that I'm not seriously offroading. Now this is going to be a daily driver as well so I really don't want to sacrifice a whole lot just to offroad. My TB is Just shy of 140K miles, so should I really make it more offroad capable?

Here is what I'm looking at.

MarkMc 2.5" Lift.
Cooper Discoverer Cooper Discoverer A/T3 265/65R17

Thats a good start. I would replace the shocks while you have everything aparrt. Bilstein HD's up front and White body shocks in the rear. Diffs you can leave alone, but I would recommend some skid plates from BartonMD

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
You don't need a lift for 265/65/17s and to go any bigger you'll need wheel spacers and a lift.

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Short Bus said:
You don't need a lift for 265/65/17s and to go any bigger you'll need wheel spacers and a lift.

Correct, I'm using the lift as more clearence not to accommodate larger tires. Where Can I find the White Body Shocks? Are these the Bilstien HD

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Cable810 said:
Correct, I'm using the lift as more clearence not to accommodate larger tires. Where Can I find the White Body Shocks? Are these the Bilstien HD

Without bigger tires you're not raising the diff.

Wyle

Dec 4, 2011
I took a similar position when I found some significant dents in the front frame and half of my factory "skid plate" was missing. My GF and I like to go out exploring different dirt trails that often involve washed out crossings, bouncing over some rocks, and a bit of screeching paint (I HATE that sound). The difference in ride has been :wootwoot: Wish I had done it years ago.

And for 6 weeks, no noticeable difference in mileage. I'm still averaging over 18 mpg (mixed highway/city) and getting over 350 miles a tank.

IslandRunner

Dec 4, 2011
The Biggest reason for lifting is to get bigger tires, you will gain some clearance for the oil pan/gas tank but without tires the diffs stay the same and you can't get over any a stock truck can't. Armour up and get some 33" tires. Happy wheeling!:thumbsup:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
If you are just going for the mild lift then you are in the right direction.

Go with the 2.5" LiftMeister lift from MarkMC

BilsteinHD struts and shocks all the way around since you will have the suspension apart.

Your tire choice is ok, I would probably shop around more.

Definitely get the armor for the radiator and oil pan.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Go with MarkMC's 3" lift, BartonMD's Oil and Radiator Skids, and Treadwright 285/70/17 tires! I guarentee you will be happy. :thumbsup:

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
Regulator said:
Go with MarkMC's 3" lift, BartonMD's Oil and Radiator Skids, and Treadwright 285/70/17 tires! I guarentee you will be happy. :thumbsup:

Dont forget the spacers to fit in those tires :biggrin:

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
I'm sticking with the 2.5" lift don't want to go higher. I do not want to get wheel spacers so thats totally out of the question for adding bigger tires. What I have heard with bigger tires that you lose some MPG dunno how ture. Thank you all who have mentioned BartonMD's Oil and Radiator Skids I will be adding that to my list.

So here is the Updated List.
MarkMc 2.5" Lift.Cooper Discoverer Cooper Discoverer A/T3 265/65R17 .
BartonMD's Oil and Radiator Skids
Bilstien HD

Do I have you linked to the Right parts?
Now one question. Why should I upgrade to Bilstien HD Shocks and Struts? The Shocks for a smoother ride when offroading but hows the on Road? The Struts......

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Cable810 said:
What I have heard with bigger tires that you lose some MPG dunno how ture.
Totally true, partially due to reduced under-vehicle airflow efficiency, and some from higher rolling friction. Depending on the size, it could cost you 2-6 MPG. You gotta pay to play. :wink:
Why should I upgrade to Bilstien HD Shocks and Struts? ....
Don't know how many miles you have, but 2002 shocks are probably crap by now. They were half crap when they left the factory. Aftermarket Bilsteins make it ride better than new. And are not "too harsh" as some folks are fond of saying. Almost everybody who puts on new shocks after getting used to a crappy ride says they regret putting the change off as long as they did.

Another reason to do the fronts especially when you do the lift is it's a LOT of work. You don't want to go back into the struts again soon. It's just over $100 for the fronts - so why put it off?

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
Cable810 said:
I'm sticking with the 2.5" lift don't want to go higher. I do not want to get wheel spacers so thats totally out of the question for adding bigger tires. What I have heard with bigger tires that you lose some MPG dunno how ture. Thank you all who have mentioned BartonMD's Oil and Radiator Skids I will be adding that to my list.

Bilstien HD

Now one question. Why should I upgrade to Bilstien HD Shocks and Struts? The Shocks for a smoother ride when offroading but hows the on Road? The Struts......

Fixed the link to my stuff, but you had the right products...

OffRoad TB - View forum - MDB Fabrication

Thanks,
Mike

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
the roadie said:
Totally true, partially due to reduced under-vehicle airflow efficiency, and some from higher rolling friction. Depending on the size, it could cost you 2-6 MPG. You gotta pay to play. :wink:Don't know how many miles you have, but 2002 shocks are probably crap by now. They were half crap when they left the factory. Aftermarket Bilsteins make it ride better than new. And are not "too harsh" as some folks are fond of saying. Almost everybody who puts on new shocks after getting used to a crappy ride says they regret putting the change off as long as they did.

Another reason to do the fronts especially when you do the lift is it's a LOT of work. You don't want to go back into the struts again soon. It's just over $100 for the fronts - so why put it off?

My TB is about 1k shy of 140k. So I get the Bilstien for the fronts what do I get for the Rear?? Assuming Bilstiens?? Also when I purchase the Bilstien HD Shocks should I get the Struts and upgrade them?? I just want to get my ducks in a row for when I finally plan on putting money down.

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
I think you will be satisfied with the Bilstein's in the rear.
A lot of the lifted folks are running BDS, Skyjacker or some other white body (Gabriel) shock.
You might find another brand that is cheaper that will work just great.
Also, since you aren't lifting the rear you could keep your stock shocks on for awhile in case you decide you need to go up a little more in the rear.

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
Cable810 said:

Bilstien HD

Check out my album and you'll get an idea of how ur TB will look like. I'm running same size tires and a lift. My tires are toyo though! Good luck !

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
navigator said:
Also, since you aren't lifting the rear you could keep your stock shocks on for awhile in case you decide you need to go up a little more in the rear.

Dosn't MarkMc 2.5" Lift the Rear? I'm just going to use his kit to level it out until my Grandpa passes... Cause my parents will be using it for my Grandpas Dr Appointments and I want it easy for my Grandpa to get in and out of my TB.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Cable810 said:
... Also when I purchase the Bilstien HD Shocks should I get the Struts and upgrade them?? ...
Not sure we're using the same terminology. The front suspension assembly is typically called a strut, or coilover strut, because it has a coil spring mounted around a shock absorber. There are different designs for other vehicles called a "Macpherson Strut" where the name for the thing in the middle is a "strut" that also acts as a shock absorber. We normally call the blue and yellow item in the middle of the front strut just the front shock. Is this what you're asking about? It's a difficult and dangerous process to compress our beefy spring to add a lift spacer or change out the shock, so that's why I was recommending you only want to go in there once. Add the lift spacer and replace the shock at the same time.

frontsuspension.jpg

strut1.jpg

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Not sure we're using the same terminology. The front suspension assembly is typically called a strut, or coilover strut, because it has a coil spring mounted around a shock absorber. There are different designs for other vehicles called a "Macpherson Strut" where the name for the thing in the middle is a "strut" that also acts as a shock absorber.

So the Front Shocks AKA Struts, are surrounded by a coil spring? Same goes for the rear?? Now I have to compress the Springs to get to the shocks??

We normally call the blue and yellow item in the middle of the front strut just the front shock. Is this what you're asking about? It's a difficult and dangerous process to compress our beefy spring to add a lift spacer or change out the shock, so that's why I was recommending you only want to go in there once. Add the lift spacer and replace the shock at the same time.

frontsuspension.jpg

strut1.jpg

I now want to do it all at once. The Blue and Yellow thing is the Bilstiend HD Strut or shock?

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Cable810 said:
So the Front Shocks AKA Struts, are surrounded by a coil spring? Same goes for the rear?? Now I have to compress the Springs to get to the shocks??

I now want to do it all at once. The Blue and Yellow thing is the Bilstiend HD Strut or shock?

Not in the rear, those are traditional shocks back there.

In that pic you are looking at a Bilstein Strut.

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
So for the front I have to get Bilstien HD Struts? Now what about the Rear? Or Should I go Bilstien HD all the way?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Cable810 said:
So the Front Shocks AKA Struts, are surrounded by a coil spring?
Yes.
Same goes for the rear??
No. The shock is nearby, but not surrounded or trapped by a coil spring.

Have you leaned down and looked at your vehicle yet? It would help ever so much if you'd just get familiar with it in person. :yes:
Now I have to compress the Springs to get to the shocks??
Only in the front. And it's not a trivial process for the first timer.
The Blue and Yellow thing is the Bilstiend HD Strut or shock?
Some vendors call the front blue and yellow thing a strut and many more call it a shock. Please don't get hung up on the terminology. By the time you plunk down money for one, it doesn't MATTER what the vendor calls it as you get the right part for front or rear. Is this the first time buying items like this for you?

IslandRunner

Dec 4, 2011
Cable810 said:

Have you ever looked under your truck?

Dec 4, 2011
Cable810 said:
So for the front I have to get Bilstien HD Struts? Now what about the Rear? Or Should I go Bilstien HD all the way?

Your confusion over Shock vs Strut is worrisome. The Strut is the assembly consisting of Shock (blue and yellow thing), Spring (self evident) and associated hardware. Since the spring is compressed in the assembly it makes it somewhat dangerous to change the shock because you have to remove the tension from the spring to get the shock out. Therefore only having to go in and do it once is good advice. Alignment shops have special machines to do this compression safely. There are tools available for the DIY but the spring tension is several 1000's of pounds so it is not for the faint of heart. :no::no: There are strut kits that supply a new shock, new spring (not sure springs are a wear item in the normal sense)

In the rear the Shock, Spring or some cases Airbag are all separate components and therefore the shocks are very easy to change and not dangerous if you don't consider you have to jack up the rear end and put it on Jack Stands.

By the way I recommend changing all four (two front-two rear) shocks at the same time. I did 4 Bilstien HD's and I am totally happy with the ride. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
the roadie said:
Yes.
No. The shock is nearby, but not surrounded or trapped by a coil spring.

Have you leaned down and looked at your vehicle yet? It would help ever so much if you'd just get familiar with it in person. :yes:
Only in the front. And it's not a trivial process for the first timer.
Some vendors call the front blue and yellow thing a strut and many more call it a shock. Please don't get hung up on the terminology. By the time you plunk down money for one, it doesn't MATTER what the vendor calls it as you get the right part for front or rear. Is this the first time buying items like this for you?

No I have not leaned down and looked at my TB yet. So either I buy a Bilstiend HD Sturut or Shock they can both be used in the front. From the info you gave me I can buy Either and us either in the front.

Yes Sir, Mr.roadie it is my first time buying items like this.

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
Front and rear are different items. The fronts are the coil-over damper like shown above, and the rear are just normal shock absorbers like on the rear of most RWD/4WD vehicles...

Mike

Wyle

Dec 4, 2011
Cable810 said:
No I have not leaned down and looked at my TB yet. So either I buy a Bilstiend HD Sturut or Shock they can both be used in the front. From the info you gave me I can buy Either and us either in the front.

There is no OR or EITHER. A front shock will come like this.
View attachment 17984
You then need to remove (what I would call) the strut assembly as shown in the second picture of Roadie's post (#18), disassemble the strut assembly (which involves compressing the coil spring), replace the shock, reassemble and reinstall in vehicle.

Attachments

• 24-103336_1.jpg
    24-103336_1.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 9

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Cable810 said:
...From the info you gave me I can buy Either and us either in the front..
It's like going into a store and buying a fizzy carbonated sugar water flavored beverage. YOU know what you want. Some stores might call it soda. Some might call it tonic. Some might call it pop. It's the same stuff.

I recommend spending a few minutes on a couple of parts stores web sites to get practice entering a vehicle type, and navigating down to where they keep the parts to see what they're named. You'll see soon enough how they classify and categorize stuff. Try autozone.com and rockauto.com

And if you're intending to be a DIY mechanic, as your questions imply, it's time to locate and cultivate a hands-on mentor, go to the library for some introductory mechanics books, and buy a Haynes manual at the parts store. And save up for tools and beer to compensate your mentor. :wink:

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
To replace my front struts I borrowed the spring compressors from Advance Auto. They were actually pretty beefy and worked pretty well.
I respected the process but wasn't overly concerned because they were pretty hefty.
I will say that compressing the springs gave my impact a pretty good workout. I can't imagine doing it with a wrench.

I'm not sure I would do the front struts/lift if I wasn't pretty familiar with tools and working on cars before without someone experienced to help out.

The process is pretty straight forward if everything goes well but usually especially when you have some miles on your vehicle nothing goes as expected.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
How much is it to get the spring compressor?? Don't they charge u and refund the money upon return?

Wyle

Dec 4, 2011
navigator said:
To replace my front struts I borrowed the spring compressors from Advance Auto. They were actually pretty beefy and worked pretty well.
I respected the process but wasn't overly concerned because they were pretty hefty.
I will say that compressing the springs gave my impact a pretty good workout. I can't imagine doing it with a wrench.

I used my torque wrench as an 18" ratchet when I put the lift spacers and new shocks in mine. I like knowing I'm compressing the springs fairly evenly by putting the same number of turns (3 works) on one side before jumping to the other; especially when compressing them the extra 2". I guess you could count socket turns with the impact, but I'd rather be watching the spring and compressor. A little cleaning and some good all-purpose grease on the threads and under the "bolt" heads before doing each spring goes a long way. My toughest part was keeping it pinned to the bench. Not real fond of having it in a vise where it can abruptly jump out and head toward the hard concrete. I tend to treat compressed springs like a loaded gun with the hammer back.

smitty5150

Nov 18, 2011
You essentially buy the tool. Use it. Return it and get your cash back. Just tell them pu want to rent a tool, thy will know what you mean. I take my struts apart so much, I just bought a set.:rotfl:

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
I found out that the Shocks are from the factory according to my dad.............. So I'm gunna head down to the shop and see if they are from the factory. If they are, The Bilstiens HD are in order for my TB.

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
I talked with the mechanic that has done all the work on our TB, and he dosn't have a record of replacing the Shocks. So The shocks need to go. I also asked about the tires that were on it and he went back as far as he could in his records(2010) and nothing for new tires. So he thinks they were put on in 09. I think my parents put the TB in the garage sometime in 2011 for storage. I might change the tires come December 2012.

So I'll be getting the Cooper Discoverer At3 when it is time for new tires.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Wyle said:
I tend to treat compressed springs like a loaded gun with the hammer back.

Good idea. I have had a compressor fail and had to use a hammer to "shoot" the spring into a trashcan so no one would get hurt.

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Another rear shock question. Do I need to get it(Bilstien HD) WITH rear Air Suspension or WITHOUT rear Air Suspension? From what ya'll have told me I'll need it WITH the Air Suspension.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Look under the truck. If there are coils on the rear axle you DO NOT have air suspension...if your vehicle info is right, you DO NOT have air suspension.

If you are ever going to lift it...the HD's wont cut it. I tried and ended up needing longer shocks with the lift.

jbones

Dec 5, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
If you are ever going to lift it...the HD's wont cut it. I tried and ended up needing longer shocks with the lift.

I was also informed of this, and pointed in the direction of the BDS 5500 shock for the rear.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher