NEED HELP OEM Side Mirror Disassembly

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I know the number of people that have tinkered with their mirrors is very few, but I'm gonna shoot my shot anyway. Does anyone know how to get the mirror assembly separated from the base? I can't seem to figure out how to get this retaining nut off the shaft. I think I remember a post from forever ago, referencing that in an attempt to fix a shaky mirror situation. Thinking I don't want to pry up the fingers, unless it's a last (only) resort, fearing I'll end up with looseness in the joint. :no:

IMG_20180721_140930.jpg

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Can you tell if that's threaded or crimped? Could be designed to never come apart and the nut looking item actually might be a crimp on the main shaft. Just my idea

Source: n/a

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This is probably one of those "All or Nothing..." propositions when trying to repair what is more complicated as an optical device than we would expect. You could try to use a 1200-1600 Watt Heat Gun to loosen the Industrial Strength Adhesive... but if the Glass Pieces(s) are Tempered.. they might 'Lose their Temper'... get very mad... and crack... assuming of course assumes that you want to salvage the Mirror Pieces... and not the Base.

I wish that you could find the perfect replacement via some local Pinellas County Salvage Yards... but if not... This seems to be the Best Site that covers this topic very well... and which offers replacements, either as separate Glass Pieces if such is possible... or as complete Units. My guess is that if they do not offer separate components for the GM360 Truck Line Series... then it is probably an impractical repair. Hope this Helps:

https://www.carid.com/articles/what-you-need-to-know-when-ordering-replacement-outside-mirror.html

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Can you tell if that's threaded or crimped?

It's not threaded, but not quite crimped either. The nut has a bunch of fingers on it, that provide upward friction on the shaft to not come off. In a few YT videos fixing this, the nut was dislodged somehow, and all you had to do was press it back into place. I've tried getting needle nose pliers and screw drivers under the lip, but no joy. Thinking I'm gonna need to get a pick tool or 2, and pull on the teeth...

IMG_20180721_193304.jpg

This is probably one of those "All or Nothing..." propositions when trying to repair what is more complicated as an optical device than we would expect.

These are my original mirrors, from before I did the power folding mirror mod. They're in great condition, minus one of the heating element tabs I yanked off when removing the mirror glass this morning :mad: Luckily that's not needed down here. What I'm angling at, is taking them apart to put a 2 tone paint job on them. Same as the one I have now, but a better effort on the quality scale. Transfer the tinted lenses and LEDs over and have a better setup.

The PFMs are pretty much dead, and the driver's side has the dreaded twitchy mirror glass, so this could be a cheap mod to satisfy the mod bug. IF I can get the halves apart...

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
that looks like some form of "speed nut / speed washer" which is basically just pushed on. How they are normally removed is a beyond me in this case as you would normally just twist them off any thread. You might try some form of side cutters (very pointy) or possibly dremel tool.

Perhaps some form of pliers with pressure on the outer rim such that it crushes downward and cause the inner "fingers" to pop up.

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Initial web search doesn't turn anything up for them, so damaging them to get them out isn't an option. Can't get them to budge even tugging on the fingers with picks, so maybe these just aren't meant to come out (without clipping the mirror on a tree/post knocking the snot out of it)

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
That close up image looks more like an inverted "Star-Lock" style of Washer applied to a Stud... which must be poking through from the underside of the other clam-shell half. When not installed... they look just like this:

s-l1600.jpg

Consequently... as @budwich suggests... just that portion would either need to be gently coaxed up and off of the Stud ...circumferentially ... or bent with some Right Angle Needle Nosed Pliers to work harden it enough to crack and release its hold in order to come loose wherever they are being used to hold both sides in the arrangement. Your side view image is suggestive of "Valve Spring Keeper" -like arrangement with the exterior coil spring around the Stud making the two clam-shelled sides behave.

So if you were to try and "Unscrew" the vertical Stud portion... it will probably just snap off. It looks like GM used a very fast, cheap way to put shell parts together that do not ordinarily require servicing, bear loads and they will not accidentally work loose because of those "Teeth" having constant spring pressure. Replacements are available on eBay/Amazon.

Last edited:

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
The post is plastic, so you might be able to twist the locking ring while pulling up. That might cut threads and unscrew it. Or, I've had some success bending the fingers of the locking ring up to get them off. ( Small screwdriver) Then hammering them back into position if you can't find a new one. It's crap shoot either way. Good luck.

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
Just pry it up. It will come off. Everyone is correct - it is a speed nut that is pressed onto the plastic stud. Mine was loose because the spring arms of the nut holding tension on the stud had rusted, so I pried it off and used a hammer to flatten the arms back down. It has now lasted almost 10 years. Or, you should be able to find a universal replacement at most auto parts stores that carry various nuts and fittings, or maybe even your local Home Depot. Try flattening it first; nothing to lose.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online