OEM Fuel Filler Cap

TimRXUV777

Original poster
May 6, 2014
So my Envoy has been giving me the "Tighten Fuel Cap" message for a few months now and i thought it would make sense to purchase a new cap since it seems like the current one is not closing correctly any longer. I bought the locking AC Delco one, ACDELCO 12F31L {#19114782} (Locking) Professional; Locking, at RockAuto since i wanted one that fit and was factory correct. Well the cap i got even though its the OEM brand does not have the tether that keeps it connected to the fuel filler door? What is the story on getting a correct cap? If i would have ordered the AC Delco non-locking cap would it have had the tether? Help.

TimRXUV777

Original poster
May 6, 2014
So is the part number i ordered from Rockauto incorrect? Even though its listed as being for my truck? The not locking ones have the tether and the locking ones dont?

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Looking up the part by the GM part # (and thank you for posting it), I see...
(warning - pic is a bit grainy)

(and it lists as a match for my '03 Envoy XL, btw)

- If you look at the shape of the cap, it looks very much like the Stant caps (of which I have one, just sitting around... more on this later). So GM uses them for a supplier, most likely. And they're a different supplier than the OEM non-locking caps. I know that the Stant caps have no provision for a tether (b/c this bothered me, too, as I recall)

- If one were to take a dremel-style tool with the cutting wheel attachment, they could scribe a ring around the circumference of the cap, and perhaps fit the tether, that way. I have no suggestions about maintaining depth uniformity of that ridge. :laugh:

- As for why it doesn't have the ridge / tether to begin with... perhaps it has something to do with the key likely being attached to the ignition keyfob / ring (weight, potential key scratches, etc.) Or perhaps the logic is, "since the owner will need the key to restart the vehicle, they don't need a tether, b/c the keys will still be in the cap" (although as I recall, the key is supposed to be turned back to the 'lock' position after unlocking, in order to remove the key (and the cap). And it's also a bit unwieldy to remove (and reinsert) the cap with the keys still in the lock.

Oh, and as for why I have a locking cap and don't use it?
I figured out some sort of 'issue' (forget what it was, but it's described in one of my posts)... and I received response that the truck has an anti-siphon valve. So... you don't NEED a locking cap (at least for purposes of fuel theft; it *will* help prevent adulteration of the fuel supply)

Reactions: TimRXUV777

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
A locking cap might not even be necessary. Has anyone every tried to push a hose into our tanks? When I was dealing with the broken tank inlet on my '02 EXT, I remember seeing a large "ping-pong" type ball in it. Figured out that it was a rollover valve. It also makes it pretty impossible to get a hose around it.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Yeah...someone described that to me as an anti-siphon, not a rollover. End result is the same, though, I guess!

As an aside (but related to this thread!)... I've noticed the past few times I've put gas in the Voy that it throws a evap leak code (P0455, IIRC... I've seen / cleared it enough!). Yesterday, the code came back as soon as I started the truck after refueling.
So I've got to get a new gas cap, too (but I'll just go for the non-locking, this time around)

Reactions: TimRXUV777

TimRXUV777

Original poster
May 6, 2014
As an aside (but related to this thread!)... I've noticed the past few times I've put gas in the Voy that it throws a evap leak code (P0455, IIRC... I've seen / cleared it enough!). Yesterday, the code came back as soon as I started the truck after refueling.
So I've got to get a new gas cap, too (but I'll just go for the non-locking, this time around)

Will the new cap solve the Evap Code issue? i have been getting two evap codes and clearing them Torque..[/QUOTE]

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
It will for mine, b/c I get the code after removing the cap (the last time, immediately after). Clear the code and it's good till the next time it's removed (whether tank is filled completely or not). That's been my experience, at least.

If you're unsure, it's the easiest thing to replace, so it's worth a shot if you've got some years on it (mine's a '03)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online