NEED HELP Odd rubbing noise - UPDATE 2

DocBrown

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
I just started hearing an odd rubbing sound when decelerating at about 10-15 mph. It almost sounds like a grind. It only lasts a few seconds. At the same time it feels like something is "tugging" it, that is it slows down just a bit. Then it stops and seems fine. No symptoms at higher speeds.

I do need to replace my left half shaft, it's got a torn boot and has a bit of play in it. I'm hoping this is that simple.

Anything else I need to be looking at? I won't be able to spend any time on it until the weekend, and I may end up taking it to a shop.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Sierra was doing the same thing. half was the hub the other half was the cv on the drivers side. cv was a swoosh like sound I can't really explain. it still does it because they couldn't get it done that day but the hub noise is gone.

DocBrown

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Swoosh kind of explains it. Man if it's that easy I'm golden. Half shaft is easy. I replaced the both hubs less than 2 years ago, maybe 17 months ago.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Yea, if they're original it's more than likely the culprit.

What do you have on the clock by chance? ours had 160 when it started doing it. 180 now.

DocBrown

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Something over 120. I tore the boots when I put the hubs on so I'm sure that didn't help their longevity.

Reactions: littleblazer

DocBrown

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Yea, pads, rotors, upper and lower control arms, new tires, all in April and May. I think it's been doing this for a while. I only just heard it last night. One of the first times since April I didn't have the windows open and/or music playing.

DocBrown

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
You know the more I think about this, I never touched the back brakes in the 2 1/2 years I've owned it. Drums. The sound I'm hearing and the fact that I feel a tug is making me think that's exactly what it is. Thanks for the ideas!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
You have drums on rear....I thought they were all disc.

DocBrown

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Yes. 2007-2013 full size PUs have drums. Something about issues with the previous gen rear discs so they went old style. 2014 on have disc.

I really wish I had rear discs. So easy to work on! It's one of the few things I really from my old TB.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Interesting. I am not a fan of drums at all.

DocBrown

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
OK, I paid closer attention last night. It's not brakes, it's the transmission. The noise happens when shifting from 2nd to 3rd at low speeds, in this case 20 mph. Easy to replicate. It's also a sloppy shift, slightly slow. Can't hear or feel it when it's shifting at faster speeds, and it shifts smoothly and quickly at higher speeds. This does not sound like a common issue from what I'm reading online. I'm looking to get it in a shop next Tuesday (earliest I can do it), but if anyone has any insight into what I might be looking at I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Sierra felt sloppy on slow shifts when the one universal went bad. but it sounded like brake chirping the whole time and it got a vibration from it. I don't really know.

DocBrown

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Yea, I'm hoping for the best. One thread I found suggested maybe clutch plates. Not sure that's much cheaper than a rebuild but I'm prepared for the worst. As painful as the cost would be, a rebuild wouldn't really be a bad thing.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Could also be the servo, happened on the sierra. but that was more just missed shifts and hesitation rather than noise.

DocBrown

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Well, the shop I use went over the truck, spent over 2 1/2 hours looking at the entire drive train, no charge mind you. Nothing's loose or appears worn, their transmission guy says there it nothing wrong with the transmission, transfer case, differentials, etc. I trust this shop and he's done my family a few favors in the past. I'm going to let it ride for a while and may still take it to a transmission shop that I trust in a few months. I hate to call this solved just yet.

Thanks guys for all your input BTW!

Reactions: littleblazer

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online