Odd buzzing noise when shifting gears from a stop.

LouisTB

Original poster
Apr 12, 2016
Tampa, FL
For the past month or so, I've been chasing around this odd buzzing noise. It sounds like something is rubbing or vibrating against something but I can't figure out for the life of me where its coming from. It sounds like it's coming from underneath the driver side floor kinda near the firewall, but I've look and don't see anything touching or loose that could be the cause of the noise. Today I was tinkering around and seem to have figured out I can get it to happen when ever I shift from park to drive. I took a video of the noise while shifting from neutral to drive (Same noise) so maybe someone smarter than me can give me an idea of what it could be cause I'm at a loss right now. Also sometimes it gives off a almost pulsating buzz which makes no sense to me.

Here's a link to the video:

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
If I had to guess I'd say exhaust pipe rubbing.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It sure sounds like a piece of sheetmetal vibrating, or something like it. Maybe lie next to the truck listening and looking under while someone changes the gears with parking brake and foot brake on.

LouisTB

Original poster
Apr 12, 2016
Tampa, FL
It sure sounds like a piece of sheetmetal vibrating, or something like it. Maybe lie next to the truck listening and looking under while someone changes the gears with parking brake and foot brake on.
Yea I'm planning on doing that my next day off. It's just such a puzzling sound.

LouisTB

Original poster
Apr 12, 2016
Tampa, FL
Update:
Good news is I seem to have solved the noise problem. This last Sunday I decided to do my motor mounts, seeing as I was at 150,000ish miles I felt it was time. With the new mounts in, it's a whole new vehicle and drives so much differently. Bonus is I haven't heard that odd buzzing since changing the mounts. They where pretty compressed so my thought is that's where the noise was coming from.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online