O2 sensor issue from wire damage

Hawaiianbasshead

Original poster
May 2, 2021
Kailua Kona HI
So I had p0141 and p0036

I previously had lean codes also since the wires were destroyed and left it dangling for a year. When I got a guy to do my rear main seal he pulled trans and spliced the wires back together with some blue speaker wire it looked like for extensions.. I pulled it today and put a new sensor but had to hardwire it again. I soldered wires on and I'm thinking maybe he had them crossed originally as I just put them back how he had them with better splicing. I checked for impedance and than voltage and that's how I decided it was indeed heater. Heater wires did have voltage with key turned which I was thinking was normal. Basically was laying around on my back almost all day and didn't solve anything so I'm definitely irritated. Basically trying to figure out the heater to see if I can get rid of the codes since it's possibly making the envoy run crappier than it could. Also need to fix knock sensor harness from when my buddy and I did the oil pan baffle a year ago 😩 thanks for any help.. tired and need to eat... raining so probably won't mess with it again today but if I do it'll be adding male/female disconnects or checking fuse type stuff. Unsure if the wires were in the right position to begin with but I figured if it was wrong it would've tripped a fuse... 20220921_112644.jpg

Attachments

• 20220921_152901.jpg
    20220921_152901.jpg
    338 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220921_155043.jpg
    20220921_155043.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20220921-183316_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220921-183316_Chrome.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 6
  • O22.PNG
    O22.PNG
    76.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited by a moderator:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I had the same issue on my Caprice when I installed headers where I tried to extend the sensor wires myself by splicing and soldering. I eventually wound up getting sensor codes. Reading online, found out this is a no-no. I had to get a new sensor and a pre-fabbed extension. Problem solved.

Use only Denso or ACDelco sensors as others are not as good.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
+1...^...

ACDelco has this video clarifying the need for NOT using After-Market O2 Sensor products with Extended Wiring Lengths or Alter and Modify those harnesses by Bundling Functions through splicing that might look 'Kosher'... but will cause problems when the PCM takes in those Exhaust Sample Readings.

The Reason for This?

It is Paramount to Seal Out Invasive Atmospheric Oxygen from 'sneaking in the back door' that can creep in along any breaks in the Harness Wire Protection and accessing the Piezo-Electric Zirconium Sensor Plate inside of the O2 Sensor as this will skew its readings.

So when ACDelco manufactures their sensors... they Hermetically Seal the wires in between the Base of the O2 Sensor and and its Connector(s) and use its "Limited Length" Wiring Harness idea to minimize the chances for this issue to occur:

ACDelco = OEM = FTW!

Last edited:

Hawaiianbasshead

Original poster
May 2, 2021
Kailua Kona HI
Mine is cut and spliced above tranny also... so 3ft from exhaust side is there another plug? Seems to me the factory harness is cut 🙃 also love my helpful fuse box diagram 🤦‍♂️ online pix are rubbish also

Attachments

• 20220922_073851.jpg
    20220922_073851.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 4

Hawaiianbasshead

Original poster
May 2, 2021
Kailua Kona HI
May have tossed the corroded speaker wires definitely added resistance but I checked fuses 55 and 54 and they were fine but also did get voltage down when checking wires that went to heater 🤷‍♂️ heater ground is the control so I suppose that's the one I need to check and maybe just splice the old one back in and see if that helps since it's probably original. Like I said unless splicing I need a new harness is my guess and I'm fine running this pos into the ground. Broke my rear hatch after the glue gave on glass and wouldn't close right... I picked up an 07 escalade ext that's my new project. My gf's brother totalled her 4runner a couple weeks ago so she's been using my damn caddy. Changed headlights and led fogs and reverse, ceramic tint and a jvc double din touch screen... I'm loosing love for this thing because of my stress level. It's hard to stay motivated when shit keeps hitting the fan. Got the caddy to mod, has some minor body damage and needs some love but all in all an 07 L92 6L80 with 87,000 miles for 9gs (10 now with lights and stereo and tint) wasn't too bad. Anyway, gonna try to clean old o2 but heater element resistance was double at like 15ohms iirc and new one was like 7ohms so heater was definitely having issues also but like I said, speaker wire was greenish on conductors probably whole way through. New wire is new. Off to work 🤙

Attachments

• 20220921_121733.jpg
    20220921_121733.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220922_080204.jpg
    20220922_080204.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220922_075754.jpg
    20220922_075754.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 3

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The wires for the sensor in the truck's harness can be repaired or extended with good quality wiring, soldering and shrink tubing. It's the wires from the sensor to the connector that must remain unviolated.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
...and 'along that same Wire'...

"Speaker Wire" does not meet the proper Standard for Automotive Wiring. Instead... Choose to get a Wire Bundle Set that not only sports the proper AWG (American Wire Gauge) but also comes in proper 10-12 Colors that fairly Match the OEM appearance, too.

These selections from Amazon have the correct Pure Stranded Copper, High Temperature Insulation and Corrosion Resistance for such as encountered in under-hood, under-body or Trailer Wiring Applications:

81Z76VZ+MZL._AC_SL1500_.jpg71YpZejt7VL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Hawaiianbasshead

Original poster
May 2, 2021
Kailua Kona HI
...and 'along that same Wire'...

"Speaker Wire" does not meet the proper Standard for Automotive Wiring. Instead... Choose to get a Wire Bundle Set that not only sports the proper AWG (American Wire Gauge) but also comes in proper 10-12 Colors that fairly Match the OEM appearance, too.

These selections from Amazon have the correct Pure Stranded Copper, High Temperature Insulation and Corrosion Resistance for such as encountered in under-hood, under-body or Trailer Wiring Applications:

View attachment 105483View attachment 105484

Preaching to the choir my friend. I wanted the wire so I could get a pic. I'm an electrician, I didn't put that speaker wire in. I replaced it with some copper 16awg 105*c 300v rated stuff I had kicking around since it was the easiest quickest fix I had on me

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Sorry About That... But judging from your Level of Frustration and Exasperation, I really had no idea of your Skill Set and any actions you might have taken with using the Correct Wire Materials, since nothing like that was mentioned in your prior Posts.

So... Not 'Preaching' per se. Just trying to be as Comprehensive as Possible whenever suggesting possible solutions and linking to hopefully helpful information for You and Anyone else Reading, Following along with your Thread, or having to Deal with their own, similar O2 Wiring Issues to your present dilemma.

"The Road to Hell... Is Paved with Good Intentions..."

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawaiianbasshead

Hawaiianbasshead

Original poster
May 2, 2021
Kailua Kona HI
Sorry, just meant preaching to the choir regarding the use of speaker wire. I definitely get stressed out dealing with stuff. So sorry if I somehow project that as a response as that's not how I intended it. Thank you for replying and giving helpful advice. Just stressed out on it and tried to get it going better than it was which I do believe I did achieve. Just still not good enough for actually solving the o2 codes 🤣🙃 I'll post back if I do make any changes. I did order the female harness side so I'll order a new ac delco o2 sensor and hope for the best 🤞

Hawaiianbasshead

Original poster
May 2, 2021
Kailua Kona HI
I didn't check harness until I got the delco o2 and I ordered the same male harness the o2 sensor has 😩 Hopefully new stuff comes soon. Rims for the caddy came in last week also 🙃

Attachments

• 20220929_164231.jpg
    20220929_164231.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 1

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online