NY gets tough on exhaust mods..

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Saw that. Kinda what we did here for sleds but the fines are a joke. I have a modified exhaust in the Caprice and is not that bad. I chose the exhaust system for the increased performance with a nice and mellow throaty sound. What I do object to is the idiots that just lop off their mufflers or use loud mufflers. That's just noise.

Maybe this will encourage other states to do the same. We have a similar law here but it is loosely enforced or just when there is a complaint. Also used during enforcement blitzes when they can't pin you on anything else. When I'm near cops, I just feather my throttle and my noise level is low.

I had to look up "Hollywood muffler". That's a term older than me!

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
It just cleans up guidelines iirc and I think imposes new fines... but in reality will probably only be enforced if you're an idiot about it... like the guy woth his gt350 and cutouts bombing down my 25 mph street at 90 at 4 am...

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Exactly. Or you get pulled over for whatever and you keep running your mouth. The more you talk, the more they will find to give you coupons for.

One of the last operations I did before I retired was enforcement in a park after a couple of kids killed themselves in a Miata. We used every law at our disposal. Mufflers, wheels sticking out, safeties, illegal mods, tinted windows, illegal lights, seat belts, alcohol, valid registration, etc. It didn't take long before they stopped going there. Then regular patrols and enforcement keeps them at bay.

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
like the guy woth his gt350 and cutouts bombing down my 25 mph street at 90 at 4 am...
I swear, you've just described the guy doing that,same car, on my street...must be a Ford fad.

• Haha
Reactions: Redbeard

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I swear, you've just described the guy doing that,same car, on my street...must be a Ford fad.
I think they mentally are a little on the slow side and try to compensate by doing that. I feel like they whisper to themselves I am speed while doing it. He lives a bit away, about a mile but my street has a fire road at the end everyone uses as a cut through... I've clocked people doing 75-80 in broad daylight. PD won't do anything about it because they're football parents running late to practice at the far end. The fact there has only been 1 car to ever get hit in the 20 years I've lived here is nothing short of astounding because it's a regular occurrence by a lot of people....

Reactions: Matt and Redbeard

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The fact there has only been 1 car to ever get hit in the 20 years I've lived here is nothing short of astounding because it's a regular occurrence by a lot of people....
They're being reactive instead of proactive/preventive. Until somebody actually dies, they won't do anything. They're either lazy or short on manpower.

Reactions: littleblazer

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
Two words: speed bumps.
After enough people bounce there heads off the roof of their cars, they'll slow down.

Speed bumps generate more complaints based on noise than the original speeding complaints. Ultimately it does end up shaping traffic away from subdivisions to more rural arterial like roadways. I feel the most sorry for those folks as it focuses traffic volume and brings speeding,noise and everything else. With housing density lower on those side roads, it ultimately generates fewer complaints as far as the city is concerned. Problem solved I guess. The rural lifestyle is great....but I can feel the population pressure we all face here in North America. Too many people competing for the same aging infrastructure......our roads.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Yeah its just annoying. Playing on my street as a kid was like playing on the shoulder of the turnpike. :bonk:

My solution was to rechain the service road at the end off so its actually a dead end street again. The through street is two blocks up. Actually has shoulders, and used to be 35 mph. They complained that was too fast and it actually worked and was lowered to 25. The point is the end is a fire service road joining two dead end streets... it was chained off long ago and someone sawzalled it off one night and it just never was put back.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Exactly. Or you get pulled over for whatever and you keep running your mouth. The more you talk, the more they will find to give you coupons for.
That's called the attitude adjustment, where I come from.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Neighborhood near me uses removable ones. They aren't very effective though because they have to be relatively flat

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Speed bumps are definitely not the solution. May slow down anything smaller than an Equinox but SUVs and trucks just make a point of going faster over them at the detriment of the people that live right in front of them constantly hearing "thump thump".

Our city has been putting radar signs that show your speed that turn red and blink when speeding everywhere. Seems to help somewhat but people get used to them and get back to their old habits. We just had the speed limit on our residential street reduced from 50 km/h to 40 km/h (31>25 mph). Has helped somewhat but the real problem is non-residents that use our streets to cut through to get to/from their own neighbourhoods. Have confronted a few of them and they then mysteriously disappear. Was especially bad during construction on the adjoining major artery. We don't have sidewalks so walking can be perilous at times.

Reactions: Matt and cornchip

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Speed bumps are definitely not the solution. May slow down anything smaller than an Equinox but SUVs and trucks just make a point of going faster over them at the detriment of the people that live right in front of them constantly hearing "thump thump".

Our city has been putting radar signs that show your speed that turn red and blink when speeding everywhere. Seems to help somewhat but people get used to them and get back to their old habits. We just had the speed limit on our residential street reduced from 50 km/h to 40 km/h (31>25 mph). Has helped somewhat but the real problem is non-residents that use our streets to cut through to get to/from their own neighbourhoods. Have confronted a few of them and they then mysteriously disappear. Was especially bad during construction on the adjoining major artery. We don't have sidewalks so walking can be perilous at times.
The newer ones at a local store are like driving over 5 inches of curb. I've made a point not to return to that store because even at a crawl they're violent. But I don't think you could do that on a 25mph street either.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I just wish they would start going after the ass hats on the Harley's and the kids with the bumblebee Hondas.

Reactions: Matt and Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online