NV-120 AWD t-case swap

Sylgeist

Original poster
Sep 14, 2019
Colorado
What would be involved making a 4WD trailblazer into awd using an SS’s parts?

doable or electrical/mechanical nightmare?

(I have an 04 LT if it matters)

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
SS doesn't use a 126. It's an NV120 and I believe it's a Torsen style transfer case - which would mean it behaves differently. I believe it's 100% mechanical, no electronic controls on it. There is some discussion on this board regarding differences but I'm having some difficulties finding the individual threads.
The SS has an upgrade tranny as well. I'm not 100 % sure but I think it's a 4L70E instead of the 4L60E the 4.2's get.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The question is why?

Sylgeist

Original poster
Sep 14, 2019
Colorado
my driving needs are more bad weather than off-road. I would rather have the day to day awd where I would benefit from them vs basically never using the 4WD (or going in and out of 4WD 10 times on a commute as I hit pavement, bad road, pavement, etc)

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
From my book of lessons learned. I would advise against the transfer. Unless however you are a tire fanatic.

I burned my transfer case VERY quickly after only swapping out two tires. The awd transfer case only allows about 2-3/32 of difference between the tire tread depth before it starts to correct for speed variation between the tires. That is how it gets burned.

Sylgeist

Original poster
Sep 14, 2019
Colorado
I might have been lucky in my few units of ownership but I’ve put a lot of miles and sets of tires and never had issues with torsen based products. I always replace tires as a set - not worried about it.

Sylgeist

Original poster
Sep 14, 2019
Colorado
I did it! I got a use nv120 with 60k miles and did the front diff disconnect swap to awd while I was in there. Now I just need to wait for some snow and see how it does!

swap was super easy. Since the 120 is all mechanical I only removed things and didn’t have to fuss with a lot. I need to remove the service 4wd light in the dash and then it will be completely invisible to someone driving it.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Any length differences for the drive shafts?

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
You could have left the encoder motor connected and then the system would have no idea that there is a different TC. Same with the disconnect actuator. No service 4wd light then.

Sylgeist

Original poster
Sep 14, 2019
Colorado
Just an update for anyone curious. Still working great with the new t-case. I removed the light from the dash cluster since it's no longer needed.

Drives smooth, is great in the snow, no engine codes and I haven't noticed any mpg differences (I'm sure there is, but it's small enough to not be of significance for my amount of driving).

Reactions: Mektek and Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online