Now I have to explain this to my wife...

06Envoy

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
This is what happens when your friends get you all drunked up on a Friday night.

'Hey man, I know this guy who is selling something.'
' Ya? What?'
' A grader man!'
'Oh cool!'

I spent all day yesterday bringing it home.
6423-img-20120428-134936.jpg

6424-img-20120428-162034.jpg

I was told the following about it;
- It was built in the forties during the war
- It was used to help build the Alaskan highway.
- The motor was rebuilt in the 80's.
- It has been sitting not started since '03.

What I noticed about it.
- It has a 2cyl gas 'pup' motor used to start the deisel motor.
- It has not one hydrolic cylinder. It is all mechanical.
- The tires still hold air.
- It's not fast.
- Everything works! Well except the front tire lean. Gears may be seized.
- I butchered our road.
- I'm gonna try again today.
- I rescued it from going to the scrap yard.
- It cost less than my dog's vet bills last week after she got into a fight with a bear.

Now, my wife is on a weekend training course in Toronto.
She has no idea I bought this thing.
How in the hell am I supposed to tell her tonight about this giant yellow thing in the yard when she gets back?
'Hi Hon. Enjoy your trip? Pass your coarse? BTW, I bought a grader.'
It just doesn't flow well.
Man oh man...leson of my tale? Don't drink and buy graders...

EDIT: No that's not my 12yr old son actually driving it. Just poseing for pics.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
It's easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission. Having said that, I think you're fucked. :raspberry::rotfl:

Opeth

Mar 25, 2012
I'd leave out the skewed judgement due to alcohol, and say we'll always have an even road once you figure out everything on it. Lol

06Envoy

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Opeth said:
I'd leave out the skewed judgement due to alcohol, and say we'll always have an even road once you figure out everything on it. Lol

Good Thinking!
Along those lines; I can tell her I bought the grader to save wear and tear and $$$ on supension repairs! :thumbsup:

06Envoy

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Matt said:
It's easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission. Having said that, I think you're fucked. :raspberry::rotfl:

Ya, unless you guys can come up with some quick thinking!

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Tell her it's a giant snow plow, and when it snows like hell she can look out her window and see the big yellow machine plowing the snow just for her! :biggrin:

BUT. I agree with Matt :yes:

Good luck buddy, hope this isn't your last post lol But if it is, can I have the denali? :thumbsup:

(And yes I know it's a grader, but it could be used for snow plowing?)

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Tell her ur selling it for one of ur buddies. And when u sell it u get to keep all the $$. (Dude ur FUCKED) haha

BO TIE SS

Nov 18, 2011
Too bad you live so far away. I'd love to borrow that for a few hours. :biggrin:

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
It must be nice to have that kind of cash laying around TO get INTO trouble with!!! :rotfl:

That said, when she divorces you for being weetahdid, and gets your Envoy, this big yellow thing is gonna be your new ride. :crazy:

Ya better leave today to get to work for Monday. :biggrin:

P.S. I don't think your efans will work on that thing. Nor am I fixing that for you. :raspberry:

(BTW, you need a special license to drive that thing on public roads... plz don't get nailed. If you survive this purchase, having to bail you out may break the camel's back!!)

Lord luv a duck... WTF were you thinking?!? :blinkhuh:

LordBear

Dec 22, 2011
it followed you home?
u traded the dog for it?
ur storing it for some one?
happy birthday honey?
won it in a poker game?

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
Now every one on a dirt/gravel road is going to want their own grader.. :yes::yes: Look want you have started. :undecided::undecided: It is all your fault.. Good luck with the new toy..:wootwoot::wootwoot:

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
Can u say couched for a period of time for this purchase :frown: Or you could tell her it'd help out in the winter time clearing the drive way of snow :biggrin::thumbsup:

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
HAHA, seriously one if not THE funniest thing Ive ever seen. Have to try and convince her that it was worth rescuing from the scrap heap and you promise to repaint it so its pretty. Other than that, you're SOL man!

I have a buddy who bought a motorcycle off of Craigslist one friday night in college, but this takes the cake!

Figure out how to use it, then take some videos of it in action! :cool:

JRTAHOE

Nov 20, 2011
"It's my God Given right to buy and purchase large, powerful, inefficient vehicles." :raspberry::rotfl:

06Envoy

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Thanks for all of your helpfull top tips!
I managed to repair the road and actually level it out today. Or at least my neighbors didn't want to kill me anymore.
One neighbor actually thanked me!

Well the road is done.
The grader is parked.
All that's left is for my wife to come home tonight.
I expect her around 9-10pm.

If I turn off the yard light, it'll be too dark for her to notice it right away???

harmless said:
It must be nice to have that kind of cash laying around TO get INTO trouble with!!! :rotfl:
Um, not really. It tends to just get a guy into trouble...:no:

harmless said:
Lord luv a duck... WTF were you thinking?!? :blinkhuh:
Funny. That's the exact same thing that went through my mind this morning when I went to fire it up. The SAME EXACT THOUGHT!

Fire06 said:
Now every one on a dirt/gravel road is going to want their own grader.. :yes::yes: Look want you have started. :undecided::undecided: It is all your fault.. Good luck with the new toy..:wootwoot::wootwoot:
Cool! I get to be a trend setter!
Sorry about that. :crazy:

Voymom said:
Tell her it's a giant snow plow, and when it snows like hell she can look out her window and see the big yellow machine plowing the snow just for her! :biggrin:
Voymom, your a genius!
That's exactly what I needed. A womans perspective!

I'm going to tell her that I love her so much that to show her how much I care, I bought a grader just so that I could grade and level out that mean old nasty gravel road JUST FOR HER comfort! :cool:
I hope it works! :biggrin:

EDIT: I wonder if I could use this as a wedding anniversary present too?

06Envoy

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
harmless said:
(BTW, you need a special license to drive that thing on public roads... plz don't get nailed. If you survive this purchase, having to bail you out may break the camel's back!!)

Hmmmm, I think you should PM with details please! :redface:

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
Anniversary present what an idea!!:eek::eek: I bet your wife will be all over you thanking you for such a present.:wootwoot::wootwoot:. Lucky dog for sure this will get you laid!!!:yes::yes::yes: NOT... :no::no::no:

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
LordBear said:
happy birthday honey?

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I can better that... Mother's Day is coming up... Put a BOW on it.

Report back with your results. :biggrin:

ScarabEpic22 said:
HAHA, seriously one if not THE funniest thing Ive ever seen. Have to try and convince her that it was worth rescuing from the scrap heap and you promise to repaint it so its pretty. Other than that, you're SOL man!

:rotfl: I can confidently say that tonight (and possibly the rest of the week) may not be so kind to our fellow member with the big yellow machine...

Garnet, if ya need a place to crash, come on down... LOL Leave the grader at home though, K? I got no place to park that. :crazy:

07 TB RIDER said:
"It's my God Given right to buy and purchase large, powerful, inefficient vehicles." :raspberry::rotfl:

IF that were the case, he'd have bought a TBSS. :raspberry: Just sayin'. :dielaugh:

Man, oh man... I'd almost want to be sitting there with some popcorn and a beer to see how this conversation unfolds... :popcorn:

06Envoy = :missing:

:biggrin:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
06Envoy said:
I wonder if I could use this as a wedding anniversary present too?
Take it from me.....as a noob engineer, just married in 1973, I gave my wife a frickin' VACUUM CLEANER for a 1st anniversary gift because we needed it. :crazy: :confused: :no: I was quite sternly educated how inappropriate that was. :hissyfit: :redface: Must have endeared her to me, though, because we're still happily married 38 years later. :thumbsup:

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
06Envoy said:
Thanks for all of your helpfull top tips!
I managed to repair the road and actually level it out today. Or at least my neighbors didn't want to kill me anymore.
One neighbor actually thanked me!

Well the road is done.
The grader is parked.
All that's left is for my wife to come home tonight.
I expect her around 9-10pm.

If I turn off the yard light, it'll be too dark for her to notice it right away???

Um, not really. It tends to just get a guy into trouble...:no:

Funny. That's the exact same thing that went through my mind this morning when I went to fire it up. The SAME EXACT THOUGHT!

Cool! I get to be a trend setter!
Sorry about that. :crazy:

Voymom, your a genius!
That's exactly what I needed. A womans perspective!

I'm going to tell her that I love her so much that to show her how much I care, I bought a grader just so that I could grade and level out that mean old nasty gravel road JUST FOR HER comfort! :cool:
I hope it works! :biggrin:

EDIT: I wonder if I could use this as a wedding anniversary present too?

IF all else fails, blame it on the wife. Knowing or thinking that our husbands/boyfriends buy things with us in mind will make SOME women a bit happier with the unnecessary purchases you men make lol. I have already caught on to the tactic so my poor hubby doesn't get away with much, but as long as he doesn't buy a hooker....I could care less what he spends his "play" money on. Boys need their toys too! Plus a dozen roses or nice bouquet of flowers sitting next to something so ugly and yellow might help to. It might not be a good anniversary gift though, I don't recommend that lol

DucatiSS

Nov 19, 2011
Just tell her it was on sale. :rotfl:

All women will understand that one. My wife will buy shoes that don't fit if they are on sale. :raspberry:

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
jbones said:
Two things I've always loved Steam Locmotives and Graders. You da Man!:thumbsup:

Here you go, someone to take it off your hands :cool:

06Envoy

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
DucatiSS said:
Just tell her it was on sale. :rotfl:
All women will understand that one. My wife will buy shoes that don't fit if they are on sale. :raspberry:
Also a very good one. Mine also buys stuff because its on sale. :crazy:

jbones said:
Two things I've always loved Steam Locmotives and Graders. You da Man!:thumbsup:
Thanks!
So could this possibly be classified as a 2-4-0 then?
Do you know anything about graders?
Like what kind is it? What decade it was actually built in?
I looked for and found the builders plate, but it had been painted over at some point in it's life.
It has a 6cyl diesel Caterpillar motor in it. LOL...

Man, I'm getting nervous.
She is not home yet.

Sir ffeJ

Dec 1, 2011
This is the nail biting moment... Can we get a drum roll please.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
CdnGMan said:
This has got to be one of THE funniest threads I've read in ages!!! :rotfl:
Same here I have been LMAO. :rotfl:

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Voymom said:
IF all else fails, blame it on the wife. Knowing or thinking that our husbands/boyfriends buy things with us in mind will make SOME women a bit happier with the unnecessary purchases you men make lol. I have already caught on to the tactic so my poor hubby doesn't get away with much, but as long as he doesn't buy a hooker....I could care less what he spends his "play" money on. Boys need their toys too! Plus a dozen roses or nice bouquet of flowers sitting next to something so ugly and yellow might help to. It might not be a good anniversary gift though, I don't recommend that lol

I'm guessing renting is also out of the question?! :biggrin:

06Envoy

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
harmless said:
...Garnet, if ya need a place to crash, come on down... LOL Leave the grader at home though, K? I got no place to park that. :crazy:
Thanks buddy! I knew I could count on you to bail me out! But Good News! it's not required. :thumbsup:

Voymom said:
I could care less what he spends his "play" money on. Boys need their toys too! Plus a dozen roses or nice bouquet of flowers sitting next to something so ugly and yellow might help to. ...
Unfortunately, flowers are in town and I didn't go to town all weekend. That would have been a nice touch though. Thanks for the suggestion.

Short Bus said:
Here you go, someone to take it off your hands :cool:
I checked, he's too far away. :frown:

bigytwotone said:
are you still alive?? did you get the death sentience??
I'm alive! I'm alive! No death sentence for me!

Sir ffeJ said:
This is the nail biting moment... Can we get a drum roll please.
chshshshshshshshshshshshshshshshshshshshshsh

And the answer is!!!!!!
I'm good! I'm Okay! :wootwoot:

Here's how.
- She was tired when she came home.
- She did notice how much smoother the road was on her way in. She was wondering who did that.
- I told her that I cared for her and her comfort and that I borked away my free hall pass weekend JUST FOR HER and I was thinking of her the entire weekend!

- AND most important....I told her that I can't remember how much it cost! :eek: :rotfl: :wink:

However, she is reserving the right for future repercussions. :no:

DucatiSS

Nov 19, 2011
06Envoy said:
However, she is reserving the right for future repercussions. :no:

Nice, now you can forget about it, because there is no reason for 2 people to remember the same thing. :rotfl:

Believe me, some day, somewhere, some how, this will be brought up again. You would be wise to have a small stash of money put away for gifts for her.:biggrin:

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
Imma gonna keep this thread handy for the day I do something really silly (sillier than spending $800+ on a Xbox360) that I know bribing with a Keurig won't fix. :biggrin:

Ok, so Garnet, here's my list of mods so far for your new toy.

- Repaint it. Custom job with flames.
- Install a sound system.
- Train Horns.
- Chromed Rims.
- Fuzzy Dice.
- LED & HID lighting.

Sound about right so far? :biggrin:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I want one!!!!

Forum Statistics

Threads