notes on replacing transmission dipstick tube I6 EXT 4WD

JerryIrons

Original poster
Dec 20, 2011
This job was so easy that it doesn't even need a write up, but a few things I noticed for my application. My tube was so rusty that holes were forming in it, and when I would try and refill my transmission, fluid would run out the holes down onto the floor.

1) There is a nut holding the tube on to the engine via the bracket, in a pretty accessible obvious place at the top. Mine was so rusty and corroded I was worried about stripping or snapping things, so after trying about 1/2 second I broke out the oxy torch and heated that nut up to burn off some rust, it's small and doesn't take much. Came off pretty easily then with a little persuasion. (I warmed it up a couple of times and put penetrating oil on it to get wicked into the threads)

2) I probably could have manhandled the tube up and out from the top, but again with all that rust I was worried about snapping the tube off or dropping pieces of rust down into the transmission pan so I elected to drop the pan.

Pic1.jpg

Circled in red is the end of the tube, I put a block of wood on the end of that and hip upward with a hammer. One or two shots and it popped up and out easy peasy, clattered around up there. So no need to lower transmission, move engine etc which was a nice surprise, I was expecting the usual shenanigans required sometimes pulling parts out of our vehicles :smile:

I would get a new tube and the rubber grommet as well, the old grommet looked pretty worn:

Pic2.jpg

To install I put transmission fluid on the bottom end of tube and the grommet. Grommet slides right on and the tube goes right in from the top. Gave it some jiggling and pressure and it goes right in, nut goes on and you are done!

Parts: (rockauto had both, genuine gm parts (tube made in mexico)
GM GENUINE 15913563
GM GENUINE 1259475
15913563_Primary__ra_p.jpg

1259475_Primary__ra_p.jpg

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
The BEST Short Stories on Earth... Are GMT Nation FAQ-Worthy Write Ups!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.