Not the standard shift cable problem

Tinker

Original poster
Aug 26, 2021
Southern Ontario
I've been hunting since I bought my 2007 Trailblazer last weekend.

Every answer I find for shift problems either tells me to replace the bushing(s) which are in perfect condition or to replace the whole cable.

Thing is...

The bushings are perfect & the cable is fine except for a weird mistake made by a previous owner.

The grey plastic clip that holds the adjustment seems to have been completely removed.

Does anybody know of a source for a replacement? Or, am I going to have to get a complete cable?

I really like my new truck, but someone who previously worked on it needs a few beatings.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Welcome to GMT Nation...

Take some images of what you have going on down there and Post them back here so we can all figure out What is missing from Where.

Note:

In all 'Bicycle Hand Brake Style Cable and Tube' Designs... the Outer Cable Housing Tube MUST be Held FAST where it meets BOTH Tube End Brackets or the Force being applied by the Shift Lever on the One End cannot have any affect upon the Transmission PRND123 Shifter Pawl on the Other End.

If it comes down to cases... and you must replace this Shifter Cable... THIS is one of the Better R&R Videos:

Last edited:

Tinker

Original poster
Aug 26, 2021
Southern Ontario
I'll have to run her back up on the ramps to get pics.

But from a picture off Amazon, it's the grey tab on the left that's missing.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2021-08-29 17-50-51.png
    Screenshot from 2021-08-29 17-50-51.png
    44.3 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
That works... THAT Gray Lock is meant for adjusting (and HOLDING) the Cable Length to ensure its proper tension inside of the housing tube. You might call around to Advance Auto or Autozone and see if they have any After-Market versions of that Clip-Lock that can work.

Otherwise... a trip to the Salvage Yard and ready access to get a used one with a pair of Stout End Cutters will yield just the parts needed for this repair.... hopefully without having to remove the entire Used Cable. Once it is adjusted correctly for tension... Binding up the Gray Lock afterwards with a Zip-Tie will ensure that it stays in place.

Last edited:

Tinker

Original poster
Aug 26, 2021
Southern Ontario
Otherwise... a trip to the Salvage Yard and ready access to get a used one with a pair of Stout End Cutters will yield just the parts needed for this repair.... hopefully without having to remove the entire Used Cable.
That's kinda what I'm expecting...

At least as the next step. Really not looking forward to replacing the whole cable if it's not needed. (2 days convincing myself to pay a shop to replace the cooler lines was frustrating... :tongue: )

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
When you get some time... visit the Introduction Thread and tell us more about yourself and your SUV. Sometimes...we can see "What The Next Thing To Do..." is... like Merlin the Magician and give fair warnings and hints about forestalling problems before Winter and the Cold Weather arrives. :>)

Tinker

Original poster
Aug 26, 2021
Southern Ontario
When you get some time... visit the Introduction Thread and tell us more about yourself and your SUV. Sometimes...we can see "What The Next Thing To Do..." is... like Merlin the Magician and give fair warnings and hints about forestalling problems before Winter and the Cold Weather arrives. :>)
Have now done so...

Thanks for the welcome.

Tinker

Original poster
Aug 26, 2021
Southern Ontario
If it comes down to cases... and you must replace this Shifter Cable... THIS is one of the Better R&R Videos:

Finally got the chance to watch...

Between bouts of camera operation induced nausea & rage at his abuse of that poor cars interior...

Looks like the actual cable replacement is pretty easy.
Hopefully, finding & replacing that grey clip will solve my issue. But, at least I'm not worried about the replacement procedure if it has to happen.

Tinker

Original poster
Aug 26, 2021
Southern Ontario
Well...

Got the part by chopping the end off the shifter cable of a wrecked Envoy.
Climbed under my truck.
Found part of the missing one jammed into the cable.
Cleaned it out & put in the "new" one.

No change. Bummer :sadcry:

Attachments

• 2021-08-30 16.17.58.jpg
    2021-08-30 16.17.58.jpg
    399.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Sad
Reactions: Redbeard and mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
There are three places where this Cable-to-Housing Tube arrangement can fail:

(1) Either the Cable Housing adjacent the Gray Lock is damaged or loosened and cannot freeze the housing in a solid holding position...or...

(2) The Square-Grooved End of the Locking Cable Housing Tab (Yellow Hi-Lite) has slipped out of the Lower Plastic Console Square Channel (Red Hi-Lite) after the Locking Pin came loose (Blue Hi-Lite) and the cable has nothing to brace against.as depicted in the three images below.

SHIFTERCABLE1.jpg
SHIFTERCABLE2.jpg

(3) The Black (or White) Plastic Pin-Zip-Tie meant to plug into the bottom of the Floor Pan to restrict the movement of the Cable Housing has snapped off. This Pin-Zip-Tie is definitely necessary to be in that precise position in between BOTH ends of the Cable Housing ...to act as a Brace against the Motion of the Internal Steel Cable when actuating the Shifter Handle Back and Forth.

SHIFTERCABLE4.jpg

Attachments

• SHIFTERCABLE3.jpg
    SHIFTERCABLE3.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 3

Tinker

Original poster
Aug 26, 2021
Southern Ontario
Hhhmmm...
The ends of the cable seem good. Everything where it belongs & moving appropriately as far as I can tell.

That white "Pin-Zip-Tie" might be worth investigating.

Guess I'm making time to put her back up on the ramps sometime today.

Gunner

Jan 23, 2019
Minnesota
I've been hunting since I bought my 2007 Trailblazer last weekend.

Every answer I find for shift problems either tells me to replace the bushing(s) which are in perfect condition or to replace the whole cable.

Thing is...

The bushings are perfect & the cable is fine except for a weird mistake made by a previous owner.

The grey plastic clip that holds the adjustment seems to have been completely removed.

Does anybody know of a source for a replacement? Or, am I going to have to get a complete cable?

I really like my new truck, but someone who previously worked on it needs a few beatings.
I would be making a trip to the local you-pull parts junkyard to harvest such a part!

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Damn... Well... At least RockAuto carries the OEM flavor (among others):

GM GENUINE Part# 15785087 {#10357836, 15079394, 15101412}

Reactions: Redbeard

Tinker

Original poster
Aug 26, 2021
Southern Ontario
Aaannnddd...
There's yer problem dude...
Silly plastic part got attacked by a monkey on crack.

This was in no way obvious without watching it try to shift into park. And, without previous experience, would probably still have been less than obvious. But looking at the replacement part & then getting someone to try & shift while watching underneath made it rather clear what was wrong.

w00t!
Fixed!

Attachments

• 2021-09-10 18.02.39.jpg
    2021-09-10 18.02.39.jpg
    337.7 KB · Views: 7

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online