Not sure which head unit I have

UnionJack72

Original poster
Mar 29, 2012
I'm looking to upgrade my 2007 Trailblazer 4.6 LS with a new head unit but I'm not sure which stereo I have.

It doesn't have Nav, just 6 disc player.

When I use the "Outfit my Car" on the Crutchfield website it asks me if it's a Bose system or not.

Now there is no label or badge that says Bose on my current unit, but I thought it flicked up on the screen once but I could be wrong.
It certainly doesn't say it everytime I turn on the stereo.

EDIT: It DOES say "Bose" when system powers up, see attached image... I'm still not sure which adapters I need know

So which of the 2 system adapters do I need for my truck if I was to fit a "Alpine CDE-123" head unit?

I picked this unit because I like Alpine, and it has "Rear USB" connector to hide iPod cable and run it to glovebox.
The Alpine CDE-123 also comes with some bezel adapter and an Antenna adapter.

GM Factory Integration Adapter General Motors Class II data bus interface — retains OnStar system, factory door chime, and Bose system with aftermarket radio at Crutchfield.com

GMOS-100 GM Factory Integration Adapter Retains satellite radio, OnStar, Bluetooth, backup camera, rear-seat DVD, warning chimes, and steering wheel controls in 2000-up GM vehicles at Crutchfield.com

As far On-Star I don't pay for it or use it, I don't have a backup camera, rear DVD, bluetooth, or satellite radio, and I wouldn't cry over losing the door chime thing. (what about other warning sounds??)

FYI, as for speakers I was going with Polk Audio db651s (6.5" front) and Polk Audio db5251 (5.25" component system for rear)

Thanks Guys :thumbsup:

Attachments

• TBstereo.jpg
    TBstereo.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 96

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
to determine if you have BOSE, its very simple... look in your glove box at the RPO codes... if you see the code UQA, you have BOSE... or you can look on the top of your dash where the vents are.. if you see tweeters/speakers in there, you have BOSE... or, you can peel back you passanger rear cargo area panel, and if you see an amp there.. you have BOSE... just because your stereo flashes BOSE, does not mean you have it... my SS' factory stereo flashed BOSE, but i did not have it...

as for a wire harness... here is some reading for thought...

http://gmtnation.com/f35/those-dont-want-pay-$70-harness-903/

UnionJack72

Original poster
Mar 29, 2012

Yeah I do have the Bose (UQA) code, and tweetes in the front dash.

I'm going to change the head unit, and maybe the door speakers (front & rear), not worried about a sub or amp at this point.

I'm just trying to confirm what wiring harness or adapters I may need.

From what I can gather on the Crutchfield.com website, I need the following adapter:

GM Factory Integration Adapter General Motors Class II data bus interface — retains OnStar system, factory door chime, and Bose system with aftermarket radio at Crutchfield.com

Which is currently 50% off as well, so it's only $49, if this is all I need.

Various threads around on speakers but some are confusing LOL, I think 6.5" will just drop in (hopefully) in both the front and rear.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
yup, the GMOS-04 is what you need then...

and thats what i did with my speakers... just bought all 6.5" and dropped um in...

UnionJack72

Original poster
Mar 29, 2012
Boricua SS said:
yup, the GMOS-04 is what you need then...

and thats what i did with my speakers... just bought all 6.5" and dropped um in...

No brackets or cutting requied...?

Crutchfield says 6.5" don't fit in the rear, they list 5.25" speakers.

And their 6.5" for the front come with free mounting brackets.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
UnionJack72 said:
No brackets or cutting requied...?

Crutchfield says 6.5" don't fit in the rear, they list 5.25" speakers.

And their 6.5" for the front come with free mounting brackets.

cuttting, no... but i reused my factory brackets... when you pop off the door panel, you'll see what i mean... and crutchfield is corrrect... but 6.5" do fit in the rear doors.. at least in mine they did..

AbsoluteZero

Nov 21, 2011
Recently replaced the OE radio/tape player in my 95 S10 and really like the USB feature. I can load up a 8 gb thumb drive and replace many CD. So I looked at Crutchfield's site for suitable radios for the 03 Envoy with 6 disc player, non Bose. RPO = UC6. The recommended adapter was the GMOS 100 which appears to be "do-all" adapter. However the deal breaker is the GMOS 100 doesn't retain the rear audio controls RPO = UK6. My guess the rear audio controls are a built-in function in the radio itself so unless there's an aftermarket radio with this function rear function would be lost.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Black LT said:

no i did not have BOSE...there was some sort of factory bracket that was there to begin with... i'll try and dig up some pix... or if worse comes to worse, i'll just pop my panel off to show... i was mainly wiring up my HU and gauges, while my friend was doing the speakers.. so we knowcked it out quicker...

edit: just saw your thread, and my "pods/pockets/brackets" whatever you wanna call them, did not look like that IIRC... looks like i'll be crackin open my door panel to see for myself as well :rotfl:

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Boricua SS said:
cuttting, no... but i reused my factory brackets... when you pop off the door panel, you'll see what i mean... and crutchfield is corrrect... but 6.5" do fit in the rear doors.. at least in mine they did..

Non Bose stock speakers in the rear are 6.5 inch. Aftermarket Kickers dropped right into the existing speaker mount for me.

AV8ER

Apr 19, 2012
My non Bose had 6.5" all around. Kicker ds65 dropped in the rear no issues but I ended up getting infinity reference 6030cs(6.5") in the front which were component so there was some slight cutting to get a mounting spot for the tweeters in the doors. My friends 03 Tahoe with Bose had 5.25" all around so it may be good to pull pannels to check what size.

UnionJack72

Original poster
Mar 29, 2012
Well as I have the Bose, I ended up getting this:

Alpine CDE-123 (with rear USB iPod Control) Head Unit
GM GMOS-04 Integration Adapter
Kicker KS652 6.5" with components for the front.
Kicker KS525 5.25" for the rear
Alpine F300 4-Channel amp to drive the speakers.

I do have another question though.....

Do I just run the Head Unit RCA pre-outs to the new 4-channel amp, then wire the amp to the door speakers.
Basically leaving the existing Bose amp in the trunk, but the speaker output wires wont be connected to anything.

Or do I have to tap into some other wires, and/or bypass the Bose amp in some special way?

Black LT

Dec 4, 2011
Well, that's kind of what I did.
You're saying, cut the front outs of the bose amp - and hook the new amps outs to the wires going to the front speakers - and cap off the bose outs.

If you do that for the fronts and backs, the bose is a 6 channel amp and it will still power the dash speakers. If you disable them you'd lose onstar and chimes as well as the dash speaker fill.

As far as your front components, not sure if you have a plan or not. Just for some info., here's a link to what I did.

I really have to take time and get my stuff over here, I know.

UnionJack72

Original poster
Mar 29, 2012
Black LT said:
Well, that's kind of what I did.
You're saying, cut the front outs of the bose amp - and hook the new amps outs to the wires going to the front speakers - and cap off the bose outs.

If you do that for the fronts and backs, the bose is a 6 channel amp and it will still power the dash speakers. If you disable them you'd lose onstar and chimes as well as the dash speaker fill.

As far as your front components, not sure if you have a plan or not. Just for some info., here's a link to what I did.

I really have to take time and get my stuff over here, I know.

I think thats what I'm saying HaHa.

I guess as I want to replace the amp, I have to run RCA's from the head unit to a new 4-ch amp.
Then speaker wires from the new amp to the doors. (I'll probably run new speaker wires.)

I also have the GMOS-04 which is needed to fit the head unit (right?) to get power etc etc

So I assume the other wires (not RCAs) from the head unit (via the GMOS) goes into the cars existing wiring harness, that would ultimatly link to the Bose trunk amp.
Which the Bose speaker wires wont be connected to the door speakers after I actually wire those to the new amp.

The old Bose amp will still be getting power, and be connectted to the dash tweeters correct?
So do I need to cut anything, and/or disconnect the Bose amp etc etc.

I'm not super worried about the chimes but it would be nice to keep them.

If I'm missing something here, how else am I meant to connect the head unit and GMOS to the new amp?

I was planning on mounting the new component tweeters in the front doors somewhere, I don't mind doing some cutting to get those in.

Black LT

Dec 4, 2011
Sounds like you got it.:cool:

When you get your stuff, you can solder the wires between the new radio and the gmos before taking the stock radio out.
Then you just unplug the stock and plug the new one in.

Ahh - wait. The gmos-04 gets the rca's hooked to it, and you want them for the new amp.
Don't tell anybody, but I got some rca splitters - for front and rear - and have the gmos-04 and rca's for the aftermarket amp hooked up. It works fine for me but I ain't sure of the kosherality of it. I'm saying that I'd do it again without thinking twice about it - but I don't want to say to do it - but go ahead and do it - if it don't suit ya, you can try just not hooking the rca's to the gmos-04 and not have chimes, dings (key in/headlight/??), and onstar.

UnionJack72

Original poster
Mar 29, 2012
I just opened my GMOS-04 and there are no RCA's on it???

Looks like 2 big gray connectors to vehicle harness, and a couple of small black connectors that fit the GMOS itself.

Then a bunch of wires....

Instructions give no details...

Some of the wires have faint text labeling which are speaker wires and power and remote.

I guess I need to wire these to head unit harness to get warning chimes.

And then just RCAs from headunit to my new amp, right??

Black LT

Dec 4, 2011
Well, it appears that Axxess Interface has changed the GMOS-04.
Here is a link to the new one's directions. (the one you have I suppose)

And to show I wasn't just making stuff up, here is part of a copy that I saved a few years back when I did mine.
View attachment 21392

But I still think you are correct. Wire the GMOS to your new head unit. As far as the speaker wires - probably would only have to do the front - but may as well do the back too - no harm, + they are there if plans change later. Then the rca's to the new amp.

If you have things apart at the facory amp, the pink wire is the 'remote on' that you can splice into to tell your new amp when to power on.

Attachments

• Project1.jpg
    Project1.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 5

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online