Not sure if I’m in the right forum but my Trailblazer isn’t starting

MzVanity

Original poster
May 8, 2021
Lakeville
So my 2006 trailblazer is not starting (such a bummer). The fuel pump has been replaced, fuel filter, throttle body, cam sensor, crank sensor,& the exhaust cam sensor. When those got replaced there was no more codes left on. No codes are popping up. Checked the fuses & relay...those are fine. The wires are fine as well. We are baffled and frustrated at this point. also the spark plugs have been changed as well. Someone help me.

MzVanity

Original poster
May 8, 2021
Lakeville
So my 2006 trailblazer is not starting (such a bummer). The fuel pump has been replaced, fuel filter, throttle body, cam sensor, crank sensor,& the exhaust cam sensor. When those got replaced there was no more codes left on. No codes are popping up. Checked the fuses & relay...those are fine. The wires are fine as well. We are baffled and frustrated at this point. also the spark plugs have been changed as well. Someone help me.
& Oh! I forgot to mention what happened...so I was driving the truck & while driving my lights start 2 flicker on the dash (I noticed the air bag light come on with the other lights that were already on like the engine light & abs) the truck started cutting on & off or something while I was driving...it was kind of like when your about to run out of gas...then maybe a min or 2 later it stopped doing that. A few days later I was driving it & it just completely shut off 😕 & would not start again. it’s cranking but not starting.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It could. All switched power is controlled by it, including ignition.

MzVanity

Original poster
May 8, 2021
Lakeville
Hmmm...that’s interesting...I guess I’ll have him look at that next. I honestly don’t understand whats going on but hopefully that’s the prob. If not, I’m going to scream lol

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I guess I’ll have him look at that next.
"Him" meaning a shop or a friend? Sure went wild with the parts shotgun and still didn't fix it. All those parts have nothing to do with lights flickering, obviously pointing to an electrical issue as the source, which could make codes pop up while running and may not come back until it's actually running. Multiple codes don't happen at the same time because all those parts broke at the same time.

Apart from the easy and cheap fix of the ignition switch which has been known to fail regularly, there has been a rash of broken copper wire traces in fuse boxes lately, which could be a sign of this platform's age. There could be other causes. Diagnose and find the source before replacing parts.

Reactions: budwich

MzVanity

Original poster
May 8, 2021
Lakeville
He’s not a friend...he has a shop that he operates from home...but all those parts were parts that already needed replaced...as for the starting issue, he diagnosed the fuel pump because the pump wasn’t coming on (now it is but still no start)...and I will not be replacing any more parts until we find out exactly what the problem is...I mentioned to him about the ignition switch long before I got on here and he said “that’s in the steering colum...I know it’s not that” 😕 and he also checked the wiring as well...I’m not sure which wires but he did check

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
has "he" ever worked on a trailblazer before??? Has he looked at the electrical diagrams to see how things are connected up? Providing "second hand" info is a tough way to resolve issue... but if its "free first hand" then it is what it is. There are proper electrical checks to determine whether the ignition switch / wiring has a problem.

Lastly, when you say "no start", are you indicating that it cranks but doesn't fire or that it doesn't crank? Note: fuel pump coming on is only the first step of the sequence. Also what dash lights are on with "key on" but not in the "start mode"? Posting a picture of the dash indicators may help clarify things.

edit: I reread your earlier posts. It does indicate a crank but no start. then, the one check that you need to do is spray in starting fluid to see if it "fires" and check the fuel pressure also. Go from the result.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman

MzVanity

Original poster
May 8, 2021
Lakeville
The guy said he’s only worked on a couple of trailblazer’s before. He has my truck at his shop so I’m not sure what lights come on when in the ”on” position. He texted me yd & said he’ll check if it “fires”. He has already checked the fuel pressure. It shot out really well. & yes, it tries to start but won’t. I forgot to mention, the day before it completely just shut off on me while driving I was at a gas station. I went inside & by the time I came out the truck was off. I tried re starting it numerous times until it did start. I drove it home. The next day is the day I was driving it & it completely shut off on me while driving. Idk that helps or not. The guy has a partner whom he works with & both of them seem to be stuck or something.

Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
I'm just going to ignore all of the red flags from your posts and get straight to it... this person does not belong working on your vehicle.

"It shot out really well." - not what I want to hear when I ask about fuel pressure.... I'm expecting a measurement in PSI or kpa not inches through the air.
"that's in the steering column... I know it's not that" - outstanding, he can locate your ignition switch.... however, it could EASILY be that.... when they fail you'll get all sorts of interesting symptoms. It's also fairly inexpensive and pretty easy to replace.
"he also checked wiring" - wonderful... but, of the literally hundreds to thousand plus wires in the vehicle, which ones did he check? There are no less than NINE grounds under the hood alone. If he's not experienced in working on these trucks, he has no business touching the wiring...

These vehicles are complex, advanced pieces of automotive engineering. It's many systems are integrated and interrelated and the failure of one can rapidly and very negatively affect other systems.

We need more info to help you. Please describe, in detail, what happens when you attempt to start your vehicle, as in "fuel pump comes on, starter turns engine over but engine doesn't fire". or "turn key and nothing happens".

We literally have some of the most experienced trailblazer owners in the world on this site and we are all willing to help.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
As others asked, I was also going to ask what it does when you turn the key to START. This can determine which path to follow. We have LOTS of info for either case in our FAQs.

MzVanity

Original poster
May 8, 2021
Lakeville
Idk the psi...because I don’t work on cars, he said it in a way that I could understand...if I had access to the truck right now I would be more than happy to take a photo of the dash for you guys but he & his partner has my truck...I had it towed to the guy because I didn’t know anyone else & from my experience, sending it to one of these little shops around my little town would’ve been too expensive...he’s worked on my cars before & there hasnt been any issues...idk...he’s had my truck almost 2weeks now trying to figure out what’s wrong...he hasn’t given me an update on whether or not it’s firing yet

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
time for a compression check.... BUT there is a serious question about the repair "effort" with all the work that was done to date but appears to not have done some basic checks.

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
Oil IN spark plugs, as in the spark plug hole? Pretty normal, unless the hole is filled to the top. Oil leaks in around the valve cover gasket. A little oil in a couple of the holes won't affect starting. It would have to be a LOT of oil.

Or, did he mean oil ON the spark plugs. That is different.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
No fire meaning no spark on any of them? IIRC, that could be the crank sensor or a wiring issue. And as mentioned, a little oil in the plug well is pretty normal for this engine.

MzVanity

Original poster
May 8, 2021
Lakeville
He said there was oil from the valve covers...he said when he finds oil on the spark plugs that means seal is broken? He said he didn’t break it down to check that for sure. & I asked could that be why the truck isn’t starting & he said no...they cleaned it & put in new spark plugs. & all he said was it wasn’t firing...he mentioned something about a computer? Replacing it??? He said other than that I’ll have to take it to the dealership??

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, he doesn't sound too knowledgeable of this platform. The ECU (computer) is the last thing to look at. Many other causes like a blown fuse, wiring, bad crank sensor, bad ignition switch. A competent shop should be able to find it fairly quickly.

Do report back with the final diagnosis and repair. Would still be interesting to know.

MzVanity

Original poster
May 8, 2021
Lakeville
And you know what? I think I’m going to just get it towed to a new shop because at the end of the day, I’ve paid out so much money already & it’s still not fixed...I’m so frustrated

c good

Dec 8, 2011
I read a thread somewhere, possibly here, where the main fuse box block under the hood needed to be replaced. The open wires on the underneath of it are prone to corrosion. This can cause this type of problem also. I would go with key switch first. I had problems with coil packs ground faulting and blowing my fuse #28 resulting in no crank/no start. After replacing numerous coils and still having problems, I read about cleaning all the body ground points. The one under the console on the passenger side was cleaned and re tightened and I'm pretty sure it solved my problem. Fingers crossed. Please keep us posted.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online