Noobs on the OS, crying out in the dark, looking for an active Trailblazer Forum

The_Roadie

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
We can't help them; we can't even post the answers here because the lurking nooberators will only drag the answer back there like a dog eager to please their owners will bring back a dead chipmunk and lay it on the doormat.

But some of the unanswered questions are just so plaintive I had to share a few:

Somebody who thinks that 100% of the tongue weight is NOT going to the tow vehicle, and other minor math errors:

A lot goes into figuring what you can and can not tow. For instance. The tongue weight is a hard and fast limitation. When hauling a trailer, roughly 2/3 of the tongue weight is tranferred to the tow vehicle. In my case, this is entirely too much weight. But, when a W/D hitch is properly setup that 2/3's is divided between the two axles of the tow vehicle, (1/3 and 1/3), and the trailer takes the other 2/3's. This is very doable.

Question from a Chevy, non SS, owner:

how is the suspension for towing. air bags or some kind of helper spring recommended? will be using it to tow 4 quads total weight under 4k. reason I ask is I had half ton pickup towing 5500# camp trailer and had very soft springs and drove terrible (soft and squirrely). Had to put overloads on it just to get it to stand up. putting more weight into the w/d made it ride very choppy. Didn't some of these come with some kind of factory air leveling system? If so whats it called, how does it work and whatis the coding to tell if I have it.

In the stepper motor thread:

stepper motors
where do we get them at web site or somethin

Actually, you're a bit late :frown::

Glad to be on board
been using the site since oct. when i got my trailblazer and finally signed on. Bout time right.

No replies to a trivial question :confused::

i recently bought a Hunter full grill guard and installed it. i noticed it was drilled for lights so i bought a cheaper set from advance auto and put them on tonight. now, i had them hooked up, and the switch was lit, but the lights weren't working. i messed with the grounds on each light and they went on. then, everything went out. the inline fuse doesn't look blown. i'm wondering what is wrong, or at least which forum to look in. i checked off road and the 02-09 forum.

Remember, this isn't a thread to display how WE would answer the noobs. We KNOW all the answers. That's not the issue. It's just a sympathy thread for the poor noobs who need to find US instead of the OS when they Google for things like "trailblazer forum".

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
We could start posting BS answers for the "nooberators" to take back with them, but that would make us look like dumb-asses here.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Short Bus said:
We could start posting BS answers for the "nooberators" to take back with them, but that would make us look like dumb-asses here.

Not really they would still take full credit for it anyways.

I lost all access to the website, so no more PM or anything. not like I really care.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
blazinlow89 said:
Not really they would still take full credit for it anyways.

I lost all access to the website, so no more PM or anything. not like I really care.

What about when/if they find the same BS over here, you need to think ahead a little.

mapanch

Dec 2, 2011
They'll just ignore the issues or have them throw worthless parts at it without help from here. Or refer them to the stealership....

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Short Bus said:
What about when/if they find the same BS over here, you need to think ahead a little.

After we see noob 1 or noob post it, or a shill account for that matter. We remove it from here

mapanch said:
They'll just ignore the issues or have them throw worthless parts at it without help from here. Or refer them to the stealership....

You mean like the guy who had his truck towed for what I think was a dead battery. Every time I had the key get stuck in the cylinder with lots of clicking was from low voltage. Don't worry I already PM'ed the user over there. I could be wrong but I like starting with the simplest solution first, kind of like a mental flow sheet.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
blazinlow89 said:
After we see noob 1 or noob post it, or a shill account for that matter. We remove it from here.

:undecided: Maybe, we all know they'll read this, then again they aren't that bright.

The_Roadie

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Short Bus said:
Are you working on a book?
Actually, I write at least one technical manual a year at work for my test systems. Last one was 500 pages. Quarterly updates and Release Notes are about 100 pages per quarter. I figured once my body of work at Trailvoy was the equivalent of 3-4 Harry Potter novels or 2-3 Tom Clancys. Thank goodness I type quickly. :wink:
If so, how do you find the time between work and helping us here?
Don't forget I was one of the founders of ORTB, and they demand a bit of support, too. :yes:
Hell, I don't know how you find the time to go off-roading.
What's that? Hehe. Actually, I had to shorten my yearly week-long Sierra Nevada expedition this year to 4 days. Broke my heart. My new signature pic and ORTB calendar photo came from that trip.

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
the roadie said:
...the lurking nooberators will only drag the answer back there like a dog eager to please their owners will bring back a dead chipmunk and lay it on the doormat.

Well stated! :dielaugh:

Wyle

Dec 4, 2011

Attachments

• untitled5.jpg
    untitled5.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 54

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Wyle said:
The caliber of posts is starting to approach the caliber of replies.
View attachment 3872

Muffler bearing, straight up. Wont spin right when its cold and only 5 min of warm up, no where near enough to get that puppy turning good enough to keep the truck going.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011

woody79

Dec 3, 2011
Dec 4, 2011
Short Bus said:

Nice to see reaction followed by logic. :thumbsup:

blazinlow89 said:
Muffler bearing, straight up. Wont spin right when its cold and only 5 min of warm up, no where near enough to get that puppy turning good enough to keep the truck going.

Short Bus said:
It's not the muffler bearing, with a bad muffler bearing it would stall, not just shut off. It's a bad Piston Return Spring.

Piston Return Spring - $14.99 : KaleCoAuto, Hard to find automotive items!

woody79 said:
Well if that doesn't work it is probably just a dirty motor. They should just use this:

Engine Scrub [ESCRB1] - $9.99 : KaleCoAuto, Hard to find automotive items!

:thumbsup:

:rotfl:THANK YOU GENTLEMEN FOR MY MORNING CHUCKLE :biggrin: (shouting on purpose)

4wVoy

Feb 4, 2012
piston return spring, if that wasn't enough to make me chuckle, i read the description and this put me over

Rotary engines require install of pistons for full compatibility.

The OS makes me want to cry, poor new guys. if i wasn't halfway smart with doing research and looking for answers via another forum then i could possibly still be stuck over there

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
All spinning round and round taking up space on VS' servers.

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
I have never tried their piston return springs, but I ordered KaleCoAuto's cross-drilled brake lines last year, and I LOVE them.

If you think about it, unsprung weight is the worst kind of weight you can have on a vehicle as far as handling is concerned. GM suspension engineers spend a fortune in time and money researching the best suspensions (which is why GM OEM shocks are still the only ones that us experienced folks in here would ever recommend to anyone who is serious about handling) BUT everything hanging off that wheel BEFORE the springs is simply unsprung weight and they can't do a thing about it.

I seriously questioned whether a few ounces saved with the cross-drilled brake lines would ever make a difference ... but DO they!

Saving half a pound of unsprung weight is like taking 200 pounds of sprung weight off your truck.

My 1/4 mile times went WAY down. (WELL, at least for the first run. I only did one run because I had this slight incident with the guardrail at the end of the track, but once I get my Trailblazer rebuilt, look out! I am going to take on the first SS I see!)

Wyle

Dec 4, 2011
Someone on the OS was asking how difficult it is to replace a water pump and about mixing different brands of Dexcool compatible coolant.

shorty said:
links for how to water pump, t-stat
How to replace water pump (pics) - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum
Thermostat repair- how to- pics included - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

if your at all mech inclined you can do this
you don,t have to use dexcool your engine has know idea whats in it
same goes for the spark plugs and the engine oil
i have used autolite plugs, whatever oil is cheapest as well as peak antifreeze and i have had 0 problems
95000 mi :smile:

:yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

The_Roadie

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Somebody who DESPERATELY needs to be rescued from a criminal dealership who can't diagnose their way out of a paper bag:

Went the the Stealer today with a couple issues
Hey everyone!

So I had a couple issue.

Service Engine Soon

Service 4WD

I thought you know I am not the most 4x4 inclined. So I thought I would go ahead and take it in. They billed me $89 for a duo fee. And told me the issues were.

Engine code popping for O2 Sensor which he said the catalytic converter needs to be replaced... $1,015.75

Also when it snows, I can hit a little slush or ice, I then pop a 4WD service light and stays on till the weather warms up and then it shuts off. I told them this, and they said that it's the front differential and that they need to do a tear down and inspection ($390.00 labor) and parts to fix can cost $1,200.00.

I love my Voy and have been tackling my won project. I went to Carquest and then told me a ($403.00 for the C.C. (stealer wasted $721.00) and $89 for the Bearing replacement kit for the Front Diff.)

Lastly the switch on the driver seat to go fwd and backwards is out, It's the switch, with a little coercing it will move. They wanted $292 for the switch)

I need to save money, take pride in doing this myself and I need parts and tutorials. I've got tools, (getting a jack stand 4,000lbs kit. today). thanks guys!

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
Tis the season for ABS warning lights ... or so it would seem on the OS.

It almost makes me cry to know that some of those folks are going to break down, go to a dealer to have their ABS code read and then be told they need to replace their EBCM.

It's really too bad because the solution is a $100 scan tool that will read OBDII, ABS and SRS codes if you can't find a garage or parts store in your area who has an ABS code reader, plus a quick pass with a whiz wheel on a certain spot.

(Sadly, my photo of the EBCM ground seems to have disappeared off the old site.)

Trying to diagnose ABS problems without the code is like trying to plug leaks in an Italian cruise ship with a pair of hastily-discarded Captain's epaulets.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online