SOLVED! Noob Tech2 Help

NJTB

Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
Got a tech 2 to find the code on a service 4wd light. Spent some time setting it up, and a few days figuring out how it works.
If I'm not mistaken, 4wd codes are 'c xxx'. I can't get this thing to list any c codes.
There is a screen that you can put in specific codes, but the tech2 will only scroll through p and u.
Can anyone tell me what buttons to push, or where to find the chassis codes and have the thing list them?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Please follow "Eric Oh" from South Main Auto as he uses a GM Tech2 to Diagnose a problem with a 4WD Encoder Motor in a Chevrolet 1500 Truck. If you Download, Replay and produce some "Screen Prints" of his actions... You can learn how to access the proper areas of the Tech 2 Tool to analyze CXXX Trouble Codes... Hope this helps:

This link may also be 'Generically' Helpful...even though it focuses on 4WD issues with GMT800 Trucks that can parallel with the above Video:

Last edited:
Reactions: C-ya

NJTB

Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
Please follow "Eric Oh" from South Main Auto as he uses a GM Tech2 to Diagnose a problem with a 4WD Encoder Motor in a Chevrolet 1500 Truck. If you Download, Replay and produce some "Screen Prints" of his actions... You can learn how to access the proper areas of the Tech 2 Tool to analyze CXXX Trouble Codes... Hope this helps:

This link may also be 'Generically' Helpful...even though it focuses on 4WD issues with GMT800 Trucks that can parallel with the above Video:

MRRSM, thanks for the video, I now see what the problem is.
When I enter the data for the car (Chevrolet-light truck incomplete-body style S-diagnosis), the 4wd don't come up. In the video he shows 4 lines on that screen (one of them being ATC), I only get 3 lines.
I'm pretty sure the TB is a 'S' body style', maybe it's not. I'll try going to the different letters on the menu and see if a ATC shows up. Thanks again.

Reactions: mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
It may be an RPO Coding Issue... I don't have a Full Listing of what the Magic "VIN" Designator should be on Trailblazers and Envoys... I own a 2WD Version... So perhaps other Members with the 4WD Drive Flavors AND Owners of Tech2 Clones who are "In The Know" can jump in here " Like BDO" and offer a Helpful Suggestion or Two.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Yes, they are Product line "S". I'll check at lunch on my TB.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
IIRC, when inputting model info, it asks if it has an ATC or manual transfer case or none. Try manual. I think ATC is the AWD non-selectable version.

Try also T product line.

Reactions: C-ya and mrrsm

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
IIRC, when inputting model info, it asks if it has an ATC or manual transfer case or none. Try manual. I think ATC is the AWD non-selectable version.

Try also T product line.

Mine doesn't ask that in S product line. I checked out the T product line. Wow! Quite different for drivetrain stuff!

I don't have codes at the moment, so I'm not sure if this is where you would see the C codes.

After entering engine size, it shows this screen:

LPxHOg9.jpg

then this one:

dUhdE6f.jpg

Picking F7 shows this screen:

v2a8eY2.jpg

New stuff to check out!

NJTB

Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
Thank you everyone for the replies. I'm not going to have a chance to try the suggestions till this weekend, I'll reply back.
Thanks again.

NJTB

Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
It's amazing how well it works using then 'T' body code. Got right into the ATC, commanded the 4WD switch lights, front axle lock up, encoder motor, etc.,etc. Everything works.
The code was C300, rear prop shaft speed sensor, which you can also monitor on the Tech 2. Drove it around the parking lot and the sensor is reading correctly, so now I'm suspecting it's an intermittent code. The diagnostic screen text says once it's set, it takes 100 starts before the code resets if no problem is found. Later on today I'll take it for a ride while I monitor the speed sensor, put it up on jackstands and check the wiring and connectors.
By the way, when entering the information on the Tech 2, mine has the same screen as C-ya. In the videos I watched several screens were different.
I was so sure of the 'S' body code being correct I didn't even think to try something else. My thinking was 'S' is an LS Trailblazer, 'T' was an LT, optioned up. It surprised me when entering the info for 'T' one of the options was Trailblazer. Thought they'd be different, especially when 'S' comes up as Trailblazer.
Thank you everyone for all the help, I couldn't have done it without you all.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I think the S and T are from the old S/T trucks, which our trucks were the successors of. That's my thinking anyway.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
I have an LT and I always used S as that is what I found on the forums here and elsewhere. I never saw that T was a code we could use. I have thought about going through the codes and jotting down the models as trying to help someone that had something other than a TB meant you needed their product line.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Does this Tech2 Thread qualify as being...
SOLVED.jpg
...even without ALL of the Alpha-Codes for 4WD Issues being sorted out?

Reactions: Mooseman

NJTB

Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
Mooseman
Yes, that's correct, I remember it from my time in the business.
MRRSM
Yes, it's solved.
C-ya
Good idea. I REALLY hope this thread helps someone else. If the Tech2 came with any kind of owners manual I'd probably have more hair (from pulling it out trying to get it to work). Just so incredibly frustrating, from the sketchy USB to loading the TIS 2000.

Reactions: mrrsm and C-ya

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This Bosch PDF is the closest thing that comes to a "Tech 2 Service Manual" but...considering what a Wide Array of Car-Line and Truck-Line Series the Device "Manages to Manage..." such a Technical Printed Document would be "...as THICK as Tokyo Yellow Pages Telephone Book".

There is ONE additional visual resource that is handy to have Downloaded and stored in your Tech 2 Multi-Media Training Library along with the one mentioned in Post #2... and that would be a True GM ASE Mechanics Tech-Line Training Video that introduces the New User to all of the Manual Aspects of Using The Tech2. Pay particular Attention to the part about " Using the Question Mark Key for Additional Assistance":

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online