Noise coming from the rear

GregT

Original poster
Jan 12, 2012
I been searching for a rubbing noise in the back I continue to think it's something with the brakes. I took the rear brakes off twice and didn't see any rubbing. It is hard to describe I'm going to putting up a video of it soon as I can right now it's snowing and blowing outside crummy weather. The noise is noticeable at crawling speeds up to 45 mph. I keep thinking it's a rotor since it's like a noise than quite noise then quite it's not constant. Maybe I will tie up the caliper somewhere run it around see if that's indeed what it is. Any thoughts?

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
did you check the squeal bars on the pads, are they touching the rotors?
Does the sound change when you press the brakes vs not pressing the brakes?
Does it speed up the faster you go?
Do you hear it from one side, both sides or in the center?
Any recent hard stops or dash lights or anything?
How many miles on this set of brake pads? My rears went out at almost the same time as my front, when were your fronts replaced?

Any recent accidents, modifications like new bigger tires, a lift, lowered etc?

crash2e

Dec 5, 2011
Is it possible that your e-brake shoes are sticking? I used to use my e-brake daily, but one day they stuck on, and within 25 minutes of driving, the pads become mini pieces of pad sloshing about inside the rotor.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I would guess the ebrakes as well if dragging your foot on the regular pedal doesn't change the nature of the noise.

Whatever you do, DO NOT remove a caliper, and tie it up out of the way, and expect you will have full brakes on the other wheels. Your loose caliper will eject its pistons in protest against the absence of backpressure. :eek:

GregT

Original poster
Jan 12, 2012
the roadie said:
I would guess the ebrakes as well if dragging your foot on the regular pedal doesn't change the nature of the noise.

Whatever you do, DO NOT remove a caliper, and tie it up out of the way, and expect you will have full brakes on the other wheels. Your loose caliper will eject its pistons in protest against the absence of backpressure. :eek:

Thanks guys for the replies yes Roadie I know not to tie up the caliper out of the way what was I thinking after typing that I started to think that the piston would eject it self. :yes:

GregT

Original poster
Jan 12, 2012
As for my problem with the noise I can pretty much rule out the brakes all together including the e brake. It still makes the noise when I using the brakes and the e brake I already removed both of them thinking that was it but same noise. This is really a tough one it extremely difficult to pin point where its coming from but sure sounds like its towards the back. When I start moving it sounds like a rubbing sound then when going over 10 mph it's sounds more like a rattle noise. When get on expressway around 60 mph I will hear a hum but not bad. That could be due to a slightly leaky muffler some exhaust is starting to leak out of the seams on the muffler. I'm not sure if that would be a wheel bearing? Everyone at work (I work in a truck shop) says no that can't be it you would know it if it was a wheel bearing. I had a guy at work walk along my truck he said it sounds like its coming from the back he thought pass rear. I'm at 88,000 now. It has stock size tires 235/75/16 Uniroyal liberator AT's It's lifted with smaxx in the front and Z71 in the back. Going to be looking again this weekend.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
GregT said:
... what was I thinking after typing that I started to think that the piston would eject it self. :yes:
Every five years, I work on brakes, remove 2 or 4 calipers from the rotors at once, change the first set of pads, forget about the other calipers, and go and press the brake pedal to start the bleeding process. So I'm speaking from embarrassed experience. :redface:

GregT

Original poster
Jan 12, 2012
Finally have video up I was getting frustrated with my wife driving so fast go ahead and laugh I did LOL. The noise is herd more towards the end of the video. Sound like a click noise I'm stating to think it's a wheel bearing. This noise gets louder seams to come and go though it is not always there. I was afraid I wasn't even get this much recorded. I am getting roar noise too now only after 55 mph. Past 65 seams to disappear. Rear axle bearing require some tools I don't have too.

[video=youtube;08fKlXHFAKI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08fKlXHFAKI&context=C3e815d0ADOEgsToPDskJULL0CMmEcpqq5NjRVxY73[/video]

GregT

Original poster
Jan 12, 2012
TB is in the shop getting new U joints. Possible work done on the 4x4. They told me it docent seam to be engaging all the way. :eek:

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Honestly it was difficult to tell by the vid, alot of excess noise. One thing you can check is the backing plate on the inside of the brakes. They will rust and begin to flake pieces off but rub the inside of the rotor first.
I would support the rear by the diff then have someone turn the opposite wheel....listening for the noise. Mine was rusting and I had to tap parts of the plate with a hammer to keep them from rubbing the rotor until I get a new set of plates.

You will need to pull the caliper bracket to remove the rotor....as well as likely needing some jacking screws to remove the rotor.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online