Noise coming from rear of vehicle when in reverse

Dakota76

Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
I have a noise comming from the rear of the Envoy when in reverse.
I kinda sounds like a skeaking grinding sound.
I thought it was my differential so I checked the fluid thought it seemed low so I added some and the noise was gone.
But a few days later The noise came back. Not as bad as before.
So my thought are that there is a leak somewhere I checked the obvious being the diff itself but it seems dry.
Just wondering if there is anywhere else I could check.

If anyone has any other thoughts as to what it could be, i'd appreciate the input...

Thanks Dak

Dakota76

Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
Thanks for the quick reply Wooluf

Just so I know what im looking for, the dust shield is behind the rotor. The noise is not always there, and ive only heard it in reverse.
Also when i filled the diff it seemed to take care of the noise it wasnt till a few days later the noise came back.

Thanks Dak

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
You could check the shields but also give the diff loving anyway then you can take off your cover and investigate the leak your suspicious of.

Dakota76

Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
So I finally found the noise
It was the emergency breaks rubbing
I cant seem to fix it though

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Dakota76 said:
I cant seem to fix it though
What have you tried so far? Or have you not taken off the rotor to look at the shoes and the retraction springs yet? Lubed the cable and the activation lever?

Dakota76

Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
the roadie said:
What have you tried so far? Or have you not taken off the rotor to look at the shoes and the retraction springs yet? Lubed the cable and the activation lever?

No I havent done anything with it. I did take the rotor off and looked at them, they seemed kind a worn so i figured id get another set and change them.
I got them the other day so im going to change them out. Ill probably do it up today.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Just make sure to adjust them properly with the star wheel, and lube the actuation lever and check the cable to make sure they retract as designed, so they don't rub and wear out again. Don't just fix the SYMPTOM, find and cure the underlying CAUSE. :yes:

Dakota76

Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
the roadie said:
Just make sure to adjust them properly with the star wheel, and lube the actuation lever and check the cable to make sure they retract as designed, so they don't rub and wear out again. Don't just fix the SYMPTOM, find and cure the underlying CAUSE. :yes:

Thanks for the advice.
Checked everything out and all seems good. I did everything you mentioned. Only one was making noise, but like everything i do i do in pairs. The one making noise was quite loose, it came off quite easy while the other was still fairly snug. I lubed and ajusted them both, and all seems good. Oh yeah dont know if it means anything or not but the side making noise the shoe was quite cracked.

Next is the right outer tierod, but im going to change them both. Had them done last fall free courtsy of the dealer.

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
Hotness and I had the same noise. Only in reverse blah blah blah. We checked everything on our vehicles. It came down too 2 different ideas. Hotness said tranny, I said U-Joint. We went with the cheaper and put new U-joint in at the very back (in front of rear diff). His squeak is gone, and mine is gone.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online