NEED HELP No sound from radio

Ryanmcduffee

Original poster
Nov 8, 2020
Indiana
Hi folks. 1st time owner of a 2005 trailblazer extended lx. I was told when purchased it needed a new radio. Figured it was more than that or they would have done it...anyways as I started to trouble shoot I began filtering through the testing I am capable of.

1. Replaced Fuze for radio. It was totally missing. Put new one in, key off radio off and rear passenger side began humming. Radio would power on, tune to radio stations but no sound.
2. Found bose amp. Pulled it looking for loose wires. Reconnected it a few times. No change.
3. The dash tweeters do not work either. Which is leaning towards a new radio.

Is there anything I can check on the amp to make sure it is good?

Should I be worried about the juice that was going to the speakers even with no power and Keysout?

I am as armature as it gets to working on vehicles and stereos so appreciate any and all help

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
To me it sounds like the amp went bad. But thats only a guess. It might be a good idea to pull the radio out, and make sure someone hasnt wired it for a aftermarket radio, and screwed up all the wiring doing it.

Ryanmcduffee

Original poster
Nov 8, 2020
Indiana
I was leaning that way too. Is there a way to test the amp?

I had not pulled the radio yet but mainly due to procrastination and not having a fix in hand. I suppose I pull the radio and leave the radio hole open until I get it all fixed.

Thanks

KEEBZ489

Jan 16, 2018
Howard Beach NY
was your door open or were you sitting in the car , doors closed whith the speaker humming ? when you turn the truck off the radio will play until the door opens.
when you pull the radio , does anything seem spliced or tapped into in the wiring ?

Reactions: Ryanmcduffee

Stugar

Apr 17, 2019
Michigan
You have a bose system, did you use an appropriate adapter module like the Metra GMOS04? With the Bose system the amp needs line level inputs, not speaker level inputs, which the GMOS04 handles, but I guess could be done with a bunch of line level converters, though that'd be more expensive and time consuming than just redoing the adapter harness with a GMOS04

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
You have a bose system, did you use an appropriate adapter module like the Metra GMOS04? With the Bose system the amp needs line level inputs, not speaker level inputs, which the GMOS04 handles, but I guess could be done with a bunch of line level converters, though that'd be more expensive and time consuming than just redoing the adapter harness with a GMOS04
Thats a good point, I never asked, and he never said if it was a factory radio, or some after market model.

Stugar

Apr 17, 2019
Michigan
If it were a new factory radio he would be seeing the security warning from the radio not being paired to his VIN. So it's probably an aftermarket radio.

I recognize the symptoms because they're the exact same I had when I swapped the radio over from my Envoy without Bose to my Trailblazer with Bose, I initially just thought it would be a straight swap, then I wasted money on the lower end GMOS module that allows door chime and retained accessory power and steering wheel controls, then when that didn't work I got the GMOS04 and that solved my issues. I should have read more carefully, hopefully I can save OP some money and frustration.

Ryanmcduffee

Original poster
Nov 8, 2020
Indiana
Everything is factory original. Previous owner didn't try to fix their car.

Rear driver door was always open because I was inserting the fuse. I will say 1 time I put the fuse in and it did not buzz until the driver door opened. My guess the buzz is the door chime.

It does not have sound to the tweeters and those are powered by the head unit right?

Thanks for the help guys. Keep it coming

Ryanmcduffee

Original poster
Nov 8, 2020
Indiana
was your door open or were you sitting in the car , doors closed whith the speaker humming ? when you turn the truck off the radio will play until the door opens.
when you pull the radio , does anything seem spliced or tapped into in the wiring ?

I have not pulled the radio yet.
Door typically open. I think the buzz was the door chimes and then radio. Will test that theory later this week.

Thanks

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online