No reverse lights

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
Are you getting power to the connector that plugs into the tail light circuit board?

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
Suggest using a trouble shooting light and not just a Voltage meter. Years ago a circuit I was having problems with showed 12 volts, but yet no light would illuminate. Thankfully one wiser/older gentlemen saw what I was doing and mentioned that "maybe not enough current" was getting to light the bulb and use the test light instead. Lo and behold he was right. And maybe to add to that thought for today I wouldn't suggest using a LED test light either. I have seen some LED bulbs illuminate with nearly zero voltage. It might be picking up stray voltage from poor grounds or something, but for me use a trouble shooting light with the old filament bulb inside. Plus the
incandescent doesn't care which end is positive or negative (and an led bulb would be).

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
I suggest following Redbeard's instructions then. I agree with him about the use of an incandescent bulb.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
If I remember correctly, isnt there a reverse light wire in the trailer hitch plug? If there is, see if its getting power. Its on a different fuse (IIRC).

Reactions: Mounce

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Not sure to be honest.. I know some had a reverse wire in the rear plug, and some didnt (My Tahoe Did, my XUV does). But the point I am making is that you need to set the parking brake, turn the ignition on, but not started, and put the truck in reverse. Then test that wire at the rear trailer harness. If that wire has power, that means the neutral safety switch is working, at least thats the way I understand it.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
From what I can find they called front cornering lights. Are they tied in to reverse lights?

They are tied to the turn signals, they stay lit, instead of flashing.

Reactions: Mounce

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Test at socket for power, test at socket for ground. Find what you're missing. Best way to test a circuit is loaded, ie: bulb installed, or at the very least an incandescent test light as mentioned, but even then that might not provide enough load to show the issue. But to test it loaded with the bulb would require probing the wire unless it has a removable socket in which you could back probe with a T-pin.

Once you find what you're missing, back track from there.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online