No recirculate (Door wont open)

brianlibby791

Original poster
Feb 25, 2017
New Jersey
On my 04 sierra the recirculate doesn’t work. @littleblazer and I have already replaced the actuator, it worked once and now it wont work anymore. Im kinda at a loss of what it could be.

It has the dual zone digital climate control system. I cant seem to find anyone else who has had this problem.

And in 95 degree weather it kinda sucks because it just blows out 80 degree air back at me.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Throw the tech 2 on and scan body codes. See what's there. My garage door is open.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This data is for a 2005 Silverado so it may not apply to your 2004 Sierra as the information coming from GM for the Re-Circulation Operation. The only reason I'm posting it is that there seem to be certain conditions that allow the Recirc to Work... and some that do not:

Recirculation Operation

The HVAC control module controls the air intake through the recirculation actuator. The recirculation switch closes the recirculation door in order to circulate the air within the vehicle. The outside air switch opens the recirculation door in order to route outside air into the vehicle. Regardless of the blower motor switch position, recirculation is available only in the panel and bi-level mode switch positions. Including the OFF position. The mode switch must be placed in either the panel or bi-level position before the blower motor switch is placed in the OFF position. In order to reduce windshield fogging, outside air is circulated when the mode switch is in the defrost or defog positions. If the recirculation switch is pressed into the ON position when the mode switch is in an unavailable mode position, then the recirculation switch LED will flash 3 times. If the HVAC control module detects a fault with the recirc door the HVAC control module will try to drive the actuator for a predetermined amount of time, to outside air, which is the defaulted position for the recirculation actuator.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Small h/j for a Question...

@littleblazer... With your Tech2 ...Do you use the PCMCIA Card Ver 33.004 and TIS2000 Software on your Full Sized GM Trucks with no OBD2 access and programming difficulties?

brianlibby791

Original poster
Feb 25, 2017
New Jersey
This data is for a 2005 Silverado so it may not apply to your 2004 Sierra as the information coming from GM for the Re-Circulation Operation. The only reason I'm posting it is that there seem to be certain conditions that allow the Recirc to Work... and some that do not:

Recirculation Operation

The HVAC control module controls the air intake through the recirculation actuator. The recirculation switch closes the recirculation door in order to circulate the air within the vehicle. The outside air switch opens the recirculation door in order to route outside air into the vehicle. Regardless of the blower motor switch position, recirculation is available only in the panel and bi-level mode switch positions. Including the OFF position. The mode switch must be placed in either the panel or bi-level position before the blower motor switch is placed in the OFF position. In order to reduce windshield fogging, outside air is circulated when the mode switch is in the defrost or defog positions. If the recirculation switch is pressed into the ON position when the mode switch is in an unavailable mode position, then the recirculation switch LED will flash 3 times. If the HVAC control module detects a fault with the recirc door the HVAC control module will try to drive the actuator for a predetermined amount of time, to outside air, which is the defaulted position for the recirculation actuator.
It acts as if it does work but it just doesn’t. Light blinks if its not on bi level or face vent position. Light stays on as if it is on when it is turned on.

brianlibby791

Original poster
Feb 25, 2017
New Jersey
Throw the tech 2 on and scan body codes. See what's there. My garage door is open.
Bring it to work tomorrow? We could look at it some point tomorrow during work.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You should be able to actuate it and possibly see if it's responding properly with the Tech 2. Have you tried an HVAC system reset?

brianlibby791

Original poster
Feb 25, 2017
New Jersey
You should be able to actuate it and possibly see if it's responding properly with the Tech 2. Have you tried an HVAC system reset?
Ive reset it by removing the fuse but i will try to do it with the tech 2 today whenever @littleblazer is at work.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Because of that I'm taking off today.

Reactions: Matt

brianlibby791

Original poster
Feb 25, 2017
New Jersey
So a little update, i stopped at @littleblazer ’s house and he hooked the tech 2 up. He cleared the past codes and did a relearn and pushed the door a bit and now its mint.

Also scanned my abs system and found why my light comes on when it feels like it.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014

brianlibby791

Original poster
Feb 25, 2017
New Jersey

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014