NEED HELP No Pwr Steering

Sailor Mo

Original poster
Jul 5, 2020
Fairhope,AL
04 GMC Sierra 1500 225K Miles Recently purchased for restoration.
Among new hoses, pulleys, Front seal, Valve cover gaskets etc. I changed the pwr steering pump that was leaking, in addition new suction hose to pump, new "O" rings on press hose at union and entering R&P.
Flushed system w/fresh Pwr Steering fluid until clear, bled air from system manually & with engine running while truck was still on blocks. Lowered vehicle drove 5 miles to fill tank returned home and attempted to make a 90 DEG turn to go in my garage heard a pop noise and lost pwr steering. PS oil was on hoses and surrounding components. Wiped everything down put vehicle on blocks, started engine and with no load condition was able to turn wheels lock to lock w/out oil leaking from any part of steering sys. Pump, hoses, R&P etc. Lowered vehicle had helper turn S wheel a small amount in both directions and immediately oil began to drip from pump area w/o pwr steering assist. Problem is I cannot tell where it is coming from? Could shaft seal be blown Does anyone have a hydraulic schematic that shows what is pressurized when pump is under load as I have factory manual but it is short on flow diagrams, ETC. Pump was purchased from Rock Auto a rebuilt Cardone P/N 20661 pump w/o reservior. Any help would be appreciated.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
ETC. Pump was purchased from Rock Auto a rebuilt Cardone P/N 20661 pump w/o reservior.

Lets just say that Cardone's name here isn't too good. Myself had a whining pump out of the box. replaced it with an ACDelco rebuilt, problem solved. If the R&P worked with the old leaky pump, I would suspect a bad rebuilt pump.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online