No movement any gears

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
im hoping its the Transmission Pressure switch ..or something around there ..Dam Im In Maine with no garage ..COldddddddd ..couldnt do it in July

I hear ya, it's all good until you can see your fingers but the brain doesn't register anything past the wrist.

I believe the pressure switch just tells the PCM what gear it's in once engaged. I want to speculate another member here not too long ago had a similar issue with a clogged filter.

Rjaime

Dec 15, 2020
300BlackOut##
I ordered a trans filter kit with 2 shift solenoids and gasket for a deep pan on Amazon. Yesterday I changed the fluid, solenoids. sprayed every place I could with brake cleaner alot of black fluid came out of all crevasses. Removed trans elec harness, cleaned and lubed and reinstalled. Oh turns out I have a shallow pan so had to go get a shallow filter at the auto parts store. Put about 50miles since yesterday and havent had any issues. Actually shifts smoother. Oh old filter looked like the filter element was caked up. Thanks everyone for all the help.

Reactions: TJBaker57

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Just bear in mind, with the old filter being caked, this might just be a band-aid.. Or it could last for a long time. It all depends on how much of that "caking" was burnt fluid, and how much was clutch band material.

Reactions: Rjaime

John Koda

Original poster
Dec 9, 2020
Rural Maine
I had almost the same class in votech mine was 2 yrs in the early 70s .....Anyhow back to it ...what do you suggest. for the scanner ? And apps I will go bluetooth
...my scanners as I said doesn't cover anything as far as trans mission yada yada I'm not getting any codes at all it's a good truck but this transmission issue is a pain and bad timing....it still moves after I start it but after once back then fourth nothing

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Put about 50miles since yesterday and havent had any issues

That's great news, fingers crossed. I would drive it about 2K miles max and change the filter again. I'm sure there will likely be more rapid accumulation but should hopefully diminish.

Oh turns out I have a shallow pan so had to go get a shallow filter at the auto parts store

Just curious how you came to that conclusion? Did you try to mount the pan and it hit the filter?

Someone please correct me but I believe all the GMT 360's had deep-style pans, even though they don't "appear" deep. If that's the case you need the deep filter to avoid starvation.

Not completely doubting you, but more or less concerned.

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
my scanners as I said doesn't cover anything as far as trans mission yada yada I'm not getting any codes

Having just read over a list of possible codes for a 2005 4l60e I am thinking you aren't going to see any transmission codes setting unless it is an electrical issue. Most of the codes I read don't activate unless the output shaft is spinning at least 150 rpm, plus a host of other prerequisites before the test even runs. If your not moving then the test can't even run to detect the trouble.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I bought a factory manual for my 05 TB holy crap

Any way you can return it? We have free manuals here. Just check my signature for the link.

Reactions: mrrsm

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
....The tranny crapped out on me last week ...seems it moves when first starts up then nothing ..I am thinking somehow the pressure is not getting to were it needs to go
I have a bad feeling that you have burned up some clutch pack or band (?) while trying to free the truck from the snow

FWIW when my tranny ate itself a couple years ago, it behaved similarly. Was cruising on the highway, then it was like it went into neutral. Pulled over and had no movement in any gear. After it cooled down a bit, it would roll forward a little bit in 1st, and then let go again. When they opened it up, they said I lost my clutch packs, and had pieces in the pan. :twocents:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Reactions: mrrsm

John Koda

Original poster
Dec 9, 2020
Rural Maine
Hopefully you get a short warm spell and can at least try a new filter, don't think "warm" and "Maine" ever go together during winter though.
The Filter is going to be starting point ,,New. Pan Oil,and cross my fingers..It has low miles and is a great truck never broke down or leave me sit till now ,,Couldn't do it in July

John Koda

Original poster
Dec 9, 2020
Rural Maine
Update.on the tb i change the oil and solenoids and the filter i am going to finish it 2morrow ..no burn smell or metal in pan had 4 1/2 qts in it ..if this doesn't work I'm going to check the seal and then head for the electrical....anyone here have a Launch 431 ? Wondering about the remote diagnosis

Thanks all

Reactions: mntegra01

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigboylove