No movement any gears

John Koda

Original poster
Dec 9, 2020
Rural Maine
Hey all
I have an 05 trailblazer 4.2l v6 and a 4l60e tyranny .....having a problem with no movement in any gear ....I was moving my Chevy to plow for snow and got stuck so i see sawed it back and forth till i freed it up ......I parked it and then had to put it into reverse ,,,but it went no place ......seems it was stuck in neutral.....so after being mad and swearing i shut it off and let it sit awhile ,,,fired it back up and it moved in forward and reverse ...then once again nothing ,,Fluid is fine ,,cable is fine ,,no burn smell nothing ......Help I live in Maine and 4 wheel drive is a must

Thanks any help is appreciated

mntegra01

Mar 26, 2018
Virginia
any CELs? Only thing I see could be temp differences with cold fluid is thicker and applying pressure, but when it gets hot, it is thin and fluids slips past seals.

Reactions: John Koda

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Sounds like it's either low on trans fluid or a clogged filter.

The cheapest and least invasive thing I can recommend is to remove the pan and replace the filter, fill with something like Valvoline MaxLife. Then hope for the best.

Don't keep trying to drive it as it doesn't take much to smoke a clutch pack.

The back and forth you mentioned worries me as under conditions like this if not careful, can damage the sunshell if a gear was not fully engaged by the time you stepped on the gas. However you said it moved later so that's good.

I would replace the filter before you did anything else, based on what you described.

John Koda

Original poster
Dec 9, 2020
Rural Maine
Thanks for the advice ...yeah it moves after I start it but then goes back to nothing ..I'll start with the filter an go from there....never had this happen b4 fluid is fine I check for burnt smell but nothing ...there's no codes on it at the moment

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
When you replace the pan gasket, use the OE rubber-like gasket, no RTV needed.

There's a metal plate alongside the trans, loosen the two 13MM bolts to gain a little room for the pan.

Don't overtighten, only takes 9 foot pounds or 108 inch pounds. If you have an inch pound torque wrench (recommended) go around the pan at half the value, then about 3 times at 108 inch pounds.

@MRRSM recommended to me a black mixing pan avail from Home Depot. This has been a godsend with projects like this.

Screenshot_20201209-180925_Chrome.jpg

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
If its a truck you plan on keeping a while, and doing the maintenance yourself, I would also suggest replacing the pan with one with a drain plug!

Edit: Speaking of, is there one that is recommended over others? I see the Dorman 265-811, are there ones that are better?

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
If its a truck you plan on keeping a while, and doing the maintenance yourself, I would also suggest replacing the pan with one with a drain plug!

Edit: Speaking of, is there one that is recommended over others? I see the Dorman 265-811, are there ones that are better?

I think everyone just uses the Dorman. I did and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.

John Koda

Original poster
Dec 9, 2020
Rural Maine
I have had this truck for a long time im the 2nd owner i want to keep it..it only has 126 .000 for miles on it never let me down till now..I also have 2 por15 the frame because shes rusting

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
At that mileage, it is due for the fluid and filter change. See what happens and report back.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
You will need the deep-pan filter. This is not because of the Dorman pan, your stock pan uses the same filter.

When you remove the filter, if the seal still has a good hold on the filter, you can reuse it if it doesn't appear to be damaged. The seal is tricky to R&R so be advsed that removing it may require a tool or some ingenuity, it's not hard, but tucked up inside a bore. I reused my OE seal about 3 times before I replaced it.

Rjaime

Dec 15, 2020
300BlackOut##
Sounds like the same problem I'm having. Last week the problem started. Did some research couldnt find anything positive except a did see a hack on a forum page about turning the key on but not starting and shifting the trans back and forth from "P" to "1" a couple times then starting the vehicle. Idk how but it works for a little while. Everytime the transmission looses the gears in my 02 Envoy I pull over and do the hack and then its able drive again. Do yall think it's the filter?

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Without dropping the pan, can't tell. Maybe the action of stopping and turning off the engine dislodges some dirt from the filter without the suction.

Rjaime

Dec 15, 2020
300BlackOut##
Ok, I'll try and do the filter and fluid change this weekend, I'll let yall know how it goes. I have 186k miles on it, had it since 136k miles and ive never serviced the transmission. I dont even know if its ever been serviced. So what does the shifting from P to 1 do if anything?

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Who knows. Maybe it activates some solenoids and bleeds internal pressure.

Reactions: Rjaime

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Bad shifts maybe but no gears, I doubt it but anything is possible. If you're so inclined, you could replace them while you're in there for the fluid and filter change.

JayArr

Sep 24, 2018
Mission BC Canada
When you remove the filter, if the seal still has a good hold on the filter, you can reuse it if it doesn't appear to be damaged. The seal is tricky to R&R so be advsed that removing it may require a tool or some ingenuity, it's not hard, but tucked up inside a bore.

Buy a 12" long 1/2" piece of steel pipe. It doesn't matter if it's black or galvanized.

With the filter out, thread the pipe into the old seal up in the case. The threads will destroy the old seal so this is a point of no return. Once it's threaded up into the old seal rock the pipe back and forth while pulling downward to get the old seal out of the case. If it's particularly difficult you can add a 90 to the pipe and another short section on to the 90 to give you a horizontal pipe to lightly tap with a hammer.

Not my idea, I found it on you-tube and used it and it worked.

John Koda

Original poster
Dec 9, 2020
Rural Maine
Hi everyone
Ok not about the TB but anyone have suggestions about a mid priced code scanner that reads everything ....I have three that just doesn't cut the mustard ......I haven't started on the trailblazer......I have no garage and I live in Maine.....So the dam thing cant break down in July ......So any thoughts on a scanner .....lemme know
Thanks All

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I would suggest a Bluetooth ELM327 adapter and the Torque app on Android. If you also need the ability to scan for other codes like ABS, there is also the Car Gauge Pro app. Our resident SME @TJBaker57 can give specifics on brands/models.

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
As Mooseman suggests, for the small investment, about $12, the Bluetooth OBD Adapters are hard to beat. The caveat is they are not as 'plug & play' as most code readers plus practically all of them are Chinese knockoffs of a chip designed by a Canadian company. As such it's hard to know what you are getting. The claims of "newest model" and "newest version" are completely bogus. I have 4 of them acquired over a ten year span.

They require a smartphone app and a fair amount customization to get more than the standard fare. The biggest issue is what data points can be seen. Beyond the emissions related data that is required by legislation to be standardized manufacturers are not required to publish what data is there or where it is. Fortunately enthusiasts have toiled long and hard to uncover much of what we want to see.

For this current transmission issue there are some data points that can possibly help with the diagnosis. The system has built in codes for many issues but the codes are not immediately set at the first sign of trouble. You may have "pending" codes that code readers don't report.

John Koda

Original poster
Dec 9, 2020
Rural Maine
I have an Icarsoft code reader and a foxwell that show no codes at all ....The tranny crapped out on me last week ...seems it moves when first starts up then nothing ..I am thinking somehow the pressure is not getting to were it needs to go

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
I have an Icarsoft code reader and a foxwell that show no codes at all ....The tranny crapped out on me last week ...seems it moves when first starts up then nothing ..I am thinking somehow the pressure is not getting to were it needs to go

I have a bad feeling that you have burned up some clutch pack or band (?) while trying to free the truck from the snow.

First off I have to say I have next to no hands on knowledge of the inner workings of an automatic transmission. I do know a little about the reading of sensors and such. Things like the TFP (transmission fluid pressure switch) that reads the fluid pressures in various circuits and as such should maybe help to show what is happening inside? There is some data for solenoids also.

I can read the output of the TFP with my Bluetooth OBD adapter and a smartphone app.

Screenshot_20200911-125400.png

John Koda

Original poster
Dec 9, 2020
Rural Maine
im hoping its the Transmission Pressure switch ..or something around there ..Dam Im In Maine with no garage ..COldddddddd ..couldnt do it in July

John Koda

Original poster
Dec 9, 2020
Rural Maine
Im looking at the Autel MaxiDAS DS808K expensive but Mechanics around this area will tell you everything but what is actually wrong with it and charge you to boot

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Im looking at the Autel MaxiDAS DS808K expensive but Mechanics around this area will tell you everything but what is actually wrong with it and charge you to boot

If I had a dozen different vehicles to work on I 'might' consider a scanner like that. I have only an 02 Trailblazer and an 05 Yukon. I have a Tech 2 that I bought for less than half of that Autel.

Frankly I'd put that money towards a transmission rebuild!

John Koda

Original poster
Dec 9, 2020
Rural Maine
I am considering it due to the fact im an old school mechanic ...But in today's world with all the sensors......and gizmos its harder to figure out this crap ..I have three an 05 TB a 2014 Chrysler 200 and a 04 ford ranger....Working on cars and trucks is not my profession its more of a necessity

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
ranger....Working on cars and trucks is not my profession its more of a necessity

I was trained in Auto mechanics in high school in southern California in the early 70s. The standard 3 year auto shop variety in one school and a county occupational program in another nearby high school. Fully equipped with all the fancy state of the art machines from Sun diagnostics. Scopes, distributor testers, exhaust analyzers, even brake shoe arcing machines to match your shoe radius to the drums you just turned! Didn't pursue it as an occupation though.

The 2014 is new enough that a fancier tool might be handy. For the Trailblazer at least I can say this much... There is no 'magic hardware' in any scanner that permits it to do something that can't be otherwsie done. It is the software that makes the difference. Licensing the proprietary intellectual property from GM and others is expensive.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest