No Cruise Control

htseat2000

Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
well today, i turned on cruise control, no problems on the 1st highway. stepped on brakes, everything good. got back on highway 20 minutes later and no cruise control. nothing. flipped the lever back and forth, pushed the button, still no cruise control. doesn't work at all. got home and checked fuse and fuse is good.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Below is a list of reasons the cruise will become inhibited. It appears the last thing you did was step on the brakes. So the ABS might be the cause. You would really have to check all the items below.

The PCM inhibits the cruise control operation when any of the following conditions exist:

* The PCM detects that the center high mounted stop lamp (CHMSL) is not operating properly.
* A Cruise Control System related DTC has been set.
* The vehicle speed is less than 40 km/h (25 mph).
* The vehicle is in PARK, REVERSE, NEUTRAL, or 1st gear.
* The engine RPM low.
* The engine RPM is high.
* The vehicle speed is to high.
* The system voltage is not between 6 volts and 16 volts.
* The antilock brake system/traction control system is active for more than 2 seconds.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Or a misadjusted/flaky brake switch. Check it out when at rest and make sure the brake pedal isn't on a hair trigger. Just look at the lights. Even with the ignition off the brake light circuit is active.

TangoBravo

Dec 5, 2011
Or the timing is out of spec because of faulty CPAS which was my case. But there was also other associated symptoms with that.

htseat2000

Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
CaptainXL said:
Below is a list of reasons the cruise will become inhibited. It appears the last thing you did was step on the brakes. So the ABS might be the cause. You would really have to check all the items below.

The PCM inhibits the cruise control operation when any of the following conditions exist:

* The PCM detects that the center high mounted stop lamp (CHMSL) is not operating properly.
* A Cruise Control System related DTC has been set.
* The vehicle speed is less than 40 km/h (25 mph).
* The vehicle is in PARK, REVERSE, NEUTRAL, or 1st gear.
* The engine RPM low.
* The engine RPM is high.
* The vehicle speed is to high.
* The system voltage is not between 6 volts and 16 volts.
* The antilock brake system/traction control system is active for more than 2 seconds.

i'll have to check 3rd brake light operation. antilock brake system/traction control never kicked on. no lights, no codes. took envoy out again later and it worked fine. weird

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
the roadie said:
Or a misadjusted/flaky brake switch. Check it out when at rest and make sure the brake pedal isn't on a hair trigger. Just look at the lights. Even with the ignition off the brake light circuit is active.

Yeah, the brake switch gets used a lot. I recommend just replacing the brake switch preemptively around 100-150K

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zenkick

Members Online