No crank, no start

Rick

Original poster
Jul 18, 2016
S. Arizona
'06 trailblazer ext, 4.2l, 4x4. Had issue with power steering line leaking. Took it to a local shop to replace. Also replaced battery. When new battery installed, had issue with HVAC actuator, that selects between air vents on window, face or floor. Ordered and replaced actuator today. Went to go try and start, and there is no crank. I drove it home right before I started the actuator swap out.

All dash lights turn on, when key goes to crank position, lights go out, gauge needles drop (like when a dead battery) and there is no crank. Interior Lights and head lights all stay bright.

Checked battery voltage and it's good, it's only a week old. Pulled and tested starter relay, and it all tested fine. Jump 12 volts to pin 87 and I have crank. I found a video online about resetting the PCM by removing HVAC fuses and reinstalling them, which I did.

I am at a loss and don't know where to go back up stream and why the actuator replacement would have anything to do with all of this. This is our primary vehicle and need to get it on the road quickly. Thanks for any help or direction!

Rick

Original poster
Jul 18, 2016
S. Arizona
I disconnected both pos and neg battery last night before turning in. It was a shot in the dark as it just wasn't making sense. Came out this morning, hooked it back up, and she fired right up. Multiple times without any issues or codes. So, not sure what happened to scramble things or what, but it works for now. I don't like when they fix themselves as I may be stranded later, but I can go to work this morning!

Reactions: Blckshdw

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Normally I would assume it was a connection issue since the battery got replaced, but strange you were able to crank it by jumping the relay contacts instead. On first read, I thought maybe it could be the ignition switch. Those can lead to funky key related issues after some time and they wear out. I had an HVAC blower issue that traced back to the ignition switch. 1st time I ever heard of such a thing. :twocents:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
It would not hurt for you to get your hands on a "Back Up" Ignition Switch. Review its R&R Instructions and requisite tools here at GMTN so you can perform this Swap at a Moment's Notice if needs be ...and never be stranded.

Having an ACDelco version for your 2006 Trailblazer would be best... but check out the alternatives available on Amazon via this as well and keep one handy in the Glove Box:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
That was my thought as well, possible ignition switch going wonky. Not too hard to swap out, and always good to have a spare if it turns out not to be the problem, because it will be at some point in the future!

Reactions: Mooseman and mrrsm

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online