SOLVED! No Blower 1 - 5 speeds. Blower tests good.

jhenry999

Original poster
Jun 28, 2015
04 Envoy. Six months ago had issue with MANUAL,( slider), AC . Got only 5th speed. Was bad resistor pack, which I replaced. Now, suddenly, get no blower coming on at all. . Compressor comes on, have power to wires on blower, all fuses good, ground block looks good, wiggled everything, removed blower to bench test, tapped on relay in new resistor pack, swapped out ignition module with my other TB, no other weird electrical issues or codes. Invented new swear words. Mooseman: What have I missed checking?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Sorry, I'm not that familiar with the manual system yet as I have had autos previously and haven't had issues with my manual one yet. Maybe someone with more experience than me can chime in.

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
When you replaced the resistor pack, did you also replace the connector? They can get damaged when the resistor pack heats up, so the internal connections get flaky, but it's not always obvious.
If the ground connector isn't connecting properly, that would cause all speeds to not work. Sometimes the plastic that holds the contacts in the plug gets slightly melted so when the plugs
are reconnected, they don't make a solid connection.

And, as djthumper notes above, check the fuse if you haven't already. Flaky connections can always take the fuse out.

Good Luck!

Chris

Reactions: Reprise

jhenry999

Original poster
Jun 28, 2015
Resistor pack came complete with connector to all wires. Which wire in the resistor pack plug is the #5 speed wire, the straight -in power bypassing all resistors? I "bench tested" the blower by setting it on the engine and touching wiring to the battery...,BIG splash of spark and the motor spun great. Wondering if the big splash was because of a SHORT in the motor, or does it just draw a lot of amperage? With key in ON position and probing with test light, seem to have power at all wires...but blower not working.

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
OK. Sometimes people just swap the resistor pack and don't bother replacing the connector.
Do you have a multimeter or just a volt meter/test light? If you have a multimeter, use it to check resistance on the resistor pack terminals. That'll be faster than me searching for the right wiring description, as I'm in the middle of a few projects at the moment. :wink: Oh..and yeah, the blowers draw a decent amount of current especially at startup, though depending on *where* the sparks came from there might be a problem. If they were just at the battery where you were hooking up, probably OK. If they came from the motor itself, I wouldn't consider that to be a good thing.

When you replaced the connector, did you use crimps or solder to splice the wires? I've had crimps that I thought were crushed enough still add resistance to a circuit.

Look through Mooseman's manuals (linked in his signature in above post) for schematics, btw.

Cheers-

Chris

Last edited:

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
If I remember right, there are two fuses for the blower, I think speed 5 has it's own fuse.

The other thing, the blowers themselves can get worn out, creating more resistance that will eventually blow the blower resister pack that you already replaced. The blower still works, but draws a lot of current that can ruin a resistor pack. I had that happen with mine, eventually I replaced the blower motor, resistor pack, and the connecter for the resistor pack. I soldered mine in to make sure it was clean as well.

I guess if I had your vehicle I would measure to see if proper voltage coming to the blower motor or resistor pack first when you try and run it.

jhenry999

Original poster
Jun 28, 2015
Mystery solved! Our Winner today is ......CHRISTO829! He suggested a crimped wire connection that wasn't connected well and that was it. It was one that controlled the relay in the Resistor Pack so 1 - 4 speeds couldn't work because the relay stopped in the wrong position for them. Somehow that also prevented speed 5 from coming on also.

I discovered the problem by poking my test light point on BOTH sides of EVERY crimped Butt Connector until I found one side that didn't have power.

What did I learn from this? SOLDER ( thanks JERRYIRON )...don't use Butt Connectors on high amperage components...like A/C Blowers.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online