No bass/subwoofer response

CakeBlazer

Original poster
Jan 22, 2019
USA
2002 Trailblazer LTZ. Has the Bose sound package.

Bass/sub was working fine up until a few days ago when the bass just went out. For clarification, the stereo works fine it's just that the sub is no longer functioning, there's a total lack of subwoofer bass response now.

Does this thing even have an actual sub somewhere or is it just a simulated sub effect? I couldn't find good info on this.

Point being I can switch the subwoofer options around in the settings and it does nothing, so it appears to have lost subwoofer functionality. What should I check? I remember my left door speaker once came unplugged and I had to open the door panel and plug it back in. Could this be a similar scenario?

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
There is no Sub-Woofer that I know of. Its just the front door speakers that reproduce the low tones.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It can happen that those go out, as well as the others (I've had the dash tweeters go). Your only option for replacements might be to find some in a boneyard. Should be fairly cheap.

CakeBlazer

Original poster
Jan 22, 2019
USA
It can happen that those go out, as well as the others (I've had the dash tweeters go). Your only option for replacements might be to find some in a boneyard. Should be fairly cheap.

Guess I'll check if the front door speakers are out but I'm pretty sure they aren't, I remember I noticed immediately I had a speaker out when the left one got unplugged. It doesn't sound at all like they're totally out.

If they're otherwise fine what does it mean that they've stopped producing bass? I mean how have they ceased to produce bass without going out entirely?

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Then it could be the amp.. But you would loose the whole channel, not just the low tones of the channel.

Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
Not to state the obvious, but:
Have you ensured that the tone settings weren't changed?
If I recall, with my wife's Bose TB there was a preset for "talk radio" or something like that and it removed virtually all bass.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
For your edification, the front doors in the LTZ Bose are 8" mid drivers, so they are your "subs". If it's dead, you have a tough choice. Do as @Mooseman suggested and get one from a junkyard or take out the whole Bose system. The Bose speakers are close to 2 ohms for the front and I for one can't find a 2 ohm 8" mid driver that will fit depth wise to replace mine.

My problem is that when it's cold I lose the front passengers speakers (both of them) intermittently. My solution is to replace all the speakers with what I want and run them, for the time being, straight off the deck.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I always used 4 ohm with my f-body Bose and had zero issues.

If you replace a 2-ohm speaker with a 4-ohm speaker, you will cut the power in half which results in only a 3dB reduction in volume (about one click of the volume knob). It takes ten times the power to double the volume so you would have to go from 2-ohm to 20-ohm speakers to cut your volume in half. Also, the amp runs cooler because it is pushing less current through the speaker. Besides, many aftermarket speakers are at least 3dB more sensitive (efficient) than the stock speakers so that there ends up being no noticeable change in volume.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online