No 4 lo

Grimor

Original poster
Mar 28, 2013
So, other than trying a few times to switch to 4-lo in neutral and park i haven't done any other trouble shooting. Just posting this so i don't forget lol.

4 hi works, switching to low the light flashes but never engages, it goes into 4-hi instead.

Reactions: BlazingTrails

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
My only thought is maybe your switch is worn out. When I tore mine apart to perform the LED mod on it, the little metal plates that are on the PCB were etched and had some carbon on them. I cleaned them up with some rubbing alcohol and added diaelectric grease on them to help it slide and resist the carbon from engaging. A lot of people complain of the same problem of intermittent shifting for 4 wheel drive and their switch is usually dirty from the contacts internally and a cleaning like I did will fix it up or you need to replace the switch. I'd try to turn the switch back and forth with the truck off quite a few times to try and clean up any minor corrosion in the switch, if that doesn't help then try to take the switch apart (really easy to do) and clean the contacts out and put a dab of diaelectric grease on them for longevity.

Reactions: djthumper

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Don't forget that it only shifts to 4Lo in N and moving less than 2 mph.

Reactions: djthumper

Grimor

Original poster
Mar 28, 2013
i'm not sure if it's a switch issue, it does flash the light for 4lo when i move the switch to it, it just doesn't engage. after 30 seconds of flashing, the light for 4hi lights up solid instead of 4lo. I've tried in neutral at a stop, slight roll and even moving the shifter around a bit. In neutral, at a stop moving the wheel back and forth a bit. All the same result. i know it worked about a month ago.

when i get home, I'm going to see if the truck will start in neutral. that should tell me if the truck knows it's in the right gear at least.

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
Can you get the transfer case into neutral and back (meaning the encoder motor can at least move the hi/lo collar)?

Also, the gear indicator on the dash shows the gear that PCM understands the transmission to be in. If the cluster shows neutral, all the other systems (including the TCCM) see neutral too.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I just tested on mine (once I got the system to respond again), and all I had to do was put the trans in neutral and then switch it to 4 LO. That's it.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I think it engages better at a very slight roll than sitting still. Did it work at Redbird?

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
No, he couldn't get it to engage at Redbird. Dennis, if you want to comedown Saturday we can trouble shoot and swap some parts around and see what is going on.

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ and Matt

Grimor

Original poster
Mar 28, 2013
Regulator said:
No, he couldn't get it to engage at Redbird. Dennis, if you want to comedown Saturday we can trouble shoot and swap some parts around and see what is going on.
I'm good with that, ready for me to bring a bunch of wiring stuff with me?

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Yes sir

Grimor

Original poster
Mar 28, 2013
well, i don't know why, but swapping the switch resolved the issue. the part i don't understand is that the old switch clearly knew what position it was in. the 4lo would flash. so are the logic circuits and stuff that control the 2wd/4wd mode all in the switch?

thank you Matt for being as big of a packrat as me.

Reactions: Matt and Regulator

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Interesting. Maybe lends more probability to my switch being the issue on my truck with it doing nothing but blink. I'll buy a new switch before winter gets here and hopefully that's the issue.

Reactions: Matt

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Switch is always a first check item. You should have a spare in your parts box at all times. It is well known and documented that the contacts can get corroded and stop working.

They also are very inexpensive, they have a habit of disappearing in my tool box at the you pull it yards.

Reactions: xavierny25

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Regulator said:
They also are very inexpensive, they have a habit of disappearing in my tool box at the you pull it yards.
And from your toolbox when you're looking for one! :rotfl:

Reactions: Regulator

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Regulator said:
Switch is always a first check item. You should have a spare in your parts box at all times. It is well known and documented that the contacts can get corroded and stop working.

I need a spare sometime...

Reactions: Regulator

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
I need a spare sometime...
He doesn't have any right now...we looked! :biggrin:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
His toolbox is always liable to collect a new one...

Reactions: Regulator and Matt

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Matt, I found it about a week after toy were there. You saw what my garage looked like, it is a surprise I find anything. Dennis got my spares spare, so it is tome to collect a couple more.

Reactions: Matt

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Regulator said:
Matt, I found it about a week after toy were there. You saw what my garage looked like, it is a surprise I find anything. Dennis got my spares spare, so it is tome to collect a couple more.
Figures! :rotfl:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timmerk

Members Online