no 3rd or 4th

chris6822

Original poster
Mar 29, 2021
moses lake washington 98837
so i have an 04 Rainer i picked up for 800 hoping it was a solenoid but most of what i have seen on here tells me that it usually gets stuck in a gear when that happens any one have some wisdom on this issue

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
When you get to a point where it should make the 2 > 3 shift... does the RPM just climb / 'flare', at that point? Does it do it even when you shift manually, or put the trans in '3'?

If so, there's a good chance you have a bad 3rd clutch -- it's a fairly common thing with the 4L60E, especially if the trans fluid overheats. To fix it requires remove / rebuild (or replace). Plenty of threads here on trans issues, I'm afraid.

GM is known for having created some great transmissions in the past -- the 4L60E was put in just about every rear-wheel drive vehicle between (approximately) 1993-2013. But it's not 'bulletproof', and there are known issues with it. Some can be improved on. A couple can't be, due to design / engineering limitations.

That being said... if you keep it serviced at appropriate intervals (fluid / filter changes, using the correct fluid), it'll last close to 200,000 miles. Longer, if a few dollars are spent to rectify some of the more common issues (aka: corrective shift kit), which can be done with the trans in-vehicle (and many here have done it).

For now, though... you'll probably need to decide whether you want to cut your losses on the $800 you spent so far... or if you want to spend $500 - $2000 for another (junkyard, all the way to a rebuilt / remanufactured). It's not something that can be done by a novice, either.

Given the book value on a typical '04, fixing & flipping won't return the investment you make, either. If you do repair it, it should be with the idea that you're going to hold onto the truck and get the value of the money you spent to fix it.

Last edited:

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Can you give us a bit more info, did it just start doing this or was there no 3rd or 4th from the start?

What does the fluid look like?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online