No 2nd No 4th No Problem?

Mesoholics

Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
Well my brother and I and the team members brought our Drag Car out from its winter hibernation and as usual there are some bugs to iron out...

This year we got new Intercooler Piping, Cams, and some additional weight reduction (re. everything not related to motor/tranny/tachometer)

It dyno'd at 360hp / 410 lb/ft, we estimate its race weight at about 1800+ driver, should be good for some quick times we thought...

Well with the new Intercooler Piping we had to re-route the shifter cable and its path now does not allow 2nd or 4th gear to engage quickly (have to let off the gas clutch, wait....wait... shift and hammer)

I uploaded an unedited video of the car running a 13.5 (one of the worst we have ever run since year 1) and you can hear the issues, still a fun ride and it our 12.53 best of the day run was good enough to once again pick up the fastest boosted car award at the show on sunday.

20120614_081216.jpg

[video=youtube;RgKHr7GV4Kw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgKHr7GV4Kw&feature=youtu.be[/video]

It is amazing how much time you lose when you can't hit most important gear change to save your life.... :hissyfit:

Lima Tango

Dec 4, 2011
I normally try to be a pretty open-minded guy, but man oh man FWD slicks/rear skinnies make me point and laugh my ass off.

Mesoholics

Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
strat81 said:
I was going to say put a Powerglide in it, but, uh, I don't think it'll fit. :no:

We were thinking of going Auto (way more consistent) but right now the budget is way too tight as during the dyno tuning they noticed a lack of compression in #4, later testing proved that one of the intake valves was leaking and we are going to be replacing them all. My dads 64 Impala SS has the Powerglide, we can do 55 MPH in first gear....

Lima Tango said:
I normally try to be a pretty open-minded guy, but man oh man FWD slicks/rear skinnies make me point and laugh my ass off.

Kind of backwards... but hey, we don't have a wheelie bar like some of the Hondas around here running 15's...

Lima Tango

Dec 4, 2011
Mesoholics said:
Kind of backwards... but hey, we don't have a wheelie bar like some of the Hondas around here running 15's...

Fair enough. I just noticed you were the fastest forced induction car with a 12.5?! Don't get me wrong, that's a respectable time, I'm just shocked there wasn't a turbo/SC car there that could run faster than 12.5.

Mesoholics

Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
Lima Tango said:

Fair enough. I just noticed you were the fastest forced induction car with a 12.5?! Don't get me wrong, that's a respectable time, I'm just shocked there wasn't a turbo/SC car there that could run faster than 12.5.

Neons only for that particular award / show hehe, there was a TT Vette that was dropping mid 10s with no traction in 1-3 sounded crazy... Our best in that thing is 11.7@121. I think if we can get the shifting ironed out and the engine back up to snuff we should be hitting mid 11 which is more then fast enough for us, and the stock 1997 Neon tranny... :yes:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.