NJ Inspection

NJTB

Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
My TB was due for state inspection last week, and for me it was a very interesting trip.
In the old days, they used to check the headlights, brakes, emissions (with a tailpipe sniffer), etc. The last time I went, 2 years ago, they did some of this stuff (tailpipe sniffer, brakes) but this time it surprised me.
I pulled up to the inspection line and went right in, where they checked the credentials, informed me there was a minor stone chip in the windshield, and the inspector drove it in.
This is where it got interesting. The guy opened the fuel door, checked it had a fuel cap, walked around the front end (checked for damage?), then they SCRUTINIZED the registration, scanned the bar code on the VIN, checked all that against the label on the drivers door, then plugged a scanner into the OBD port. No codes, DONE. Put a new sticker on, drove it out, said have a good day, and I was on my way.
I remember in the 60's they'd have 5 or 6 people on the inspection line checking various things, the wait was an hour just to get in, and you would always fail for something that you had to go back for (headlight alignment, front end alignment, etc.)
I'm having a 'what's happening to this world' since then.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I don't know about the safety portion since we don't have regular inspections, the emissions checks have changed over the years. Before Ontario cancelled the program in April, all we had was plug into the OBD for no codes and ensure all the I/M readiness was good. OBD is advanced enough that it self-sniffs the tailpipe with the downstream O2 sensors and it assumes that if no codes are set that all is good.

Vehicles are so clean now that some states have been dropping the emissions tests altogether, like here in Ontario and BC. Quebec never had them. Safety inspection rules are also different province to province. In Ontario, it's only required at ownership transfers, Quebec only when a vehicle is brought in from another province or registration lapsed for more than a year. Others have regular inspections at registration renewal every 2-3 years.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
The central jersey stations just plug it in and let it go... takes roughly 30 seconds. I watched a guy come in on a flat and pass... now if it's a commercial vehicle you get it every year and it's the full everything inspection. They even fail you for tint. :rotfl:

Ilikemy3s

Dec 3, 2011
jersey got rid of safety inspection long ago (don"t understand why) just do an smog test now.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online