Nice little fishing boat.....

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This first video covers the basic description and performance of the same GE T-58 Jet Engines that we used (in Pairs) on the Sikorsky HH-3F Rescue Helicopter when I was in the USCG back in the 1970s. At only 305 Lbs without the cowling at the front and back...each of these Tiny Engines could make 1,200 HP ALL DAY LONG:

As only part of my Aviation Machinist Mate and SAR Duties... I worked in the USCG Base Jet Engine Shop re-building GE T-58 Jet Motors like these every six months for a FULL Engine Tear Down, Inspection and Dove Tail Turbine Blade Inspection and Replacement if we found any FOD Damage and inhalation friction wear from Atmospheric Dust and Dirt. Adjustments for the "Throttle Cables" had to be EXTREMELY Precise.

They are so incredibly simple...from Nose to Tail, sporting ...Roller, Ball, Roller, Roller, Ball Internal Shaft Bearings and having a Four Stage Compressor up front that would turn at around 26,000 RPM. The Fuel Injected Power Generation from burning (GULPING) JP-4 was with the Free-Wheeling Aft Gas Turbine Section spinning at around 18 Grand. You had to be VERY careful installing the Tail Turbine Take-Off coupling which was THE most delicately balanced "U" Joint your EVER saw.

The Power Reduction Main Rotor Head converted all of that Free Wheeling Spin from 18,000 RPM down to 212 RPM of the 65' Diameter Five Blade, Fully Articulated Sikorksy Rotor Head.

This translated into a 98:1 Gear Ratio making for some INCREDIBLE Torque. But when placed inside a Light Fiberglas Race Boat..Your Balls had Better Be as Big as Church Bells ....since THIS Single Motor can propel that craft to over 140 MPH on Flat Water. Ohhhhh Yeahh... I LOVE THIS DAMNED GE T-58 JET ENGINE!!!

T58_00_1__41379.1433052785.1280.1280.jpg

Check out this Canadian GE T-58 (Recently Re-Built) Jet Powered Race Boat from around 7:30 onward in this Video. The Boat Pilot starts a bit late... but then easily catches up to the Yellow and Red Speed Boat Competitors and passes them by like they were standing at a Bus Stop. This Nautical Creature is called ,,,"The Un-Natural Disaster" :

"Pistons... What are THOSE...?"

Last edited:
Reactions: m.mcmillen

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online

No members online now.