Nexus 7 in dash install

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
I'm going to be installing a nexus 7 in my dash over the next few weeks and have a couple of questions.

What i plan to do is relocate my JVC headunit to the armrest storage. Can anyone tell me if THIS will work to move my headunit? It looks like it will.

Second, does anyone know if there is an easy way to get the wiring to that particular spot? I was thinking about just using a nylon fish tape and push it through to see where it comes out...

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
I don't thnk so. that is meant to hide your head unit so you can keep it for sounding chimes. just buy a regular wire harness for the OE side, your jvc harness, and get spool of wire to connect the two

its not hard to take out the center console, just pull it and you'll know where to run the wires

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
jimmyjam said:
I don't thnk so. that is meant to hide your head unit so you can keep it for sounding chimes. just buy a regular wire harness for the OE side, your jvc harness, and get spool of wire to connect the two

its not hard to take out the center console, just pull it and you'll know where to run the wires

What gauge would you suggest?

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Best thing for you to do would be to get an aftermarket wiring harness that plugs into the factory one. Make your extensions coming off of that and wire your head unit harness to the extensions. Also keep in mind that I did something similar for a fiend with a DVD player, mounted vertical. When he would make a turn the disc word skip. Switched to the glove box and never had another issue. So if plan on still using it for CDs keep that in mind. However all digital media would be no issue.

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
thanx for the heads up. I'm planning to only use it for radio and Bluetooth

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Got my head unit relocated to the arm rest today
y7u3upy2.jpg

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Got the dash mount done, now i just have to finish wiring the power. I'm putting an extra 12v socket in the dash. Functional for now though until the rest of the parts get here.[video=youtube_share;O6YCEtFYRIE]http://youtu.be/O6YCEtFYRIE[/video]

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
So i plan to add a power outlet that will power the tablet and a usb hub. I'm planning to wire it from the brown acc2 wire so that i can have 12v switched. Would a 10 amp inline fuse be sufficient for this use? Also, is it safe to wire it off the brown acc2 wire in the dash? Would there be an easier 12v switched source to access without overloading another circuit?

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
mikekey said:
How about some day time photos.
will get some up when I get a chance. I've been working late so I haven't had any daytime. Lol

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
dcmtnbkr said:
So i plan to add a power outlet that will power the tablet and a usb hub. I'm planning to wire it from the brown acc2 wire so that i can have 12v switched. Would a 10 amp inline fuse be sufficient for this use? Also, is it safe to wire it off the brown acc2 wire in the dash? Would there be an easier 12v switched source to access without overloading another circuit?

If you have the wall power adapter handy, take a look at the fine print on it. Should see an amperage rating on it, I'd use a fuse close to that number, then you should be good to go. If you're worried about overloading a circuit, you could always run a small relay off 1 of the constant powered cigarette lighter wires, and use the acc2 wire as a trigger to turn on/off the relay. :twocents:

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Blckshdw said:
If you have the wall power adapter handy, take a look at the fine print on it. Should see an amperage rating on it, I'd use a fuse close to that number, then you should be good to go. If you're worried about overloading a circuit, you could always run a small relay off 1 of the constant powered cigarette lighter wires, and use the acc2 wire as a trigger to turn on/off the relay. :twocents:

You know, i do have a spare auto relay. A relay doesnt really draw much from the switched power does it? Because if that's the case, i can use the switched 12v that im using to turn my stereo on and then i dont have to take the knee gaurd off.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
dcmtnbkr said:
You know, i do have a spare auto relay. A relay doesnt really draw much from the switched power does it? Because if that's the case, i can use the switched 12v that im using to turn my stereo on and then i dont have to take the knee gaurd off.

Minimal. Just enough to power a tiny electromagnet, to move the armature and overcome some spring tension.

Kuchar09

Dec 4, 2011
How do u plan on doing audio? if your going to do it over bluetooth or the 3.5mm headphone jack I would take a look at getting a dock to put in there then you don't have to try and mess with the usb plug when you want to remove it. Of course with out the usb plug you can't do a joycon, usb dac, flash drive, dvb-t tuner or even a backup cam lol. But it would be sweet to just drop the tablet in there and have it automatically connect to the 4 pins on the tablet for power and audio.
Looks sweet though keep up the awesome work!
Dock

If you need any help setting things up such as apps or tasker settings just let me know.

djez015

Jan 28, 2013
does that have a video out

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Kuchar09 said:
How do u plan on doing audio? if your going to do it over bluetooth or the 3.5mm headphone jack I would take a look at getting a dock to put in there then you don't have to try and mess with the usb plug when you want to remove it. Of course with out the usb plug you can't do a joycon, usb dac, flash drive, dvb-t tuner or even a backup cam lol. But it would be sweet to just drop the tablet in there and have it automatically connect to the 4 pins on the tablet for power and audio.
Looks sweet though keep up the awesome work!
Dock

If you need any help setting things up such as apps or tasker settings just let me know.

If the dock did usb, i'd be all over it. Eventually i plan to add a hard drive and a backup cam, so unfortunately it wouldn't work in my case. I had initially thought of making my own usb dock and go in from the side, but there is a mounting bracket for the trim piece in the way and i didn't want to cut through it. I'm using bluetooth for audio and so far it sounds really good.

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
jusy2ypa.jpg
9a6ynyzu.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361226793578.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361226793578.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 8