Newbie from Oregon

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
Hello all! New to this forum but very active at the Tahoe/Yukon Forum.
Recently bought a 2002 TrailBlazer LS for my girl Linda. I know I will need some expertise here and this forum was recommended by a member at my TYF. The new rig has only 70k miles on it. Does have the "sewing machine" valve train noise but no problems. Is out of the VIN window for the cylinder sleeves problems. Has already had the fan clutch replaced and does have a leak at the water pump but is completely leak free elsewhere. I will be doing the water pump and thermostat/water outlet, likely on Christmas day or the next day because parts will be here from RA and is supposed to be mid 50's here. The engine is peppier than I expected. Has no dents and was a one owner. I am posting pics and if you look close you can see the orange coolant leak from the bottom of the water pump pulley. I am open to any comments and to any help I can give to others.

Attachments

• IMG_20221219_180806.jpg
    IMG_20221219_180806.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20221219_140148 - Copy.jpg
    20221219_140148 - Copy.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • 20221219_140155 - Copy.jpg
    20221219_140155 - Copy.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • 20221219_140205 - Copy.jpg
    20221219_140205 - Copy.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 7

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Whats up brother from another forum!

Just going to copy and paste from my post there to here, so the others (like @Mooseman , and others) know what I have already posted to you..

I own 2 of these (v8 models).. I think you did great with that truck.. Other than over paying for it! I love that blue.

Speakers dieing are kinda a known problem. Does yours have BOSE of Standard? I always just replace them with junkyard/eBay OEM speakers.

For the GMT360, the changeover date was 12/12/2003 for the 2004 model year. My Envoy is a 2004 model built on this date, and has both old and new..

The 2002 models have a few things I like over other years.

Yours might have a cabin air filter, was a 2002 model year only thing
Yours should have a oil level sensor, another 2002 model year only thing
Yours DOES NOT have a SAIS system (secondary air injection system). This was brought in 2004 at changeover.
The TCCM (Transfer Case Control Module) is a known issue for this year. Just remember to exercise the controller regularly. Can be replaced with any other year 2004+ and is no longer an issue.
The valvetrain noise is a common issue. Singer Sewing Machine.
Check the exhaust manifold. They are known for cracking. Its a inherent flaw on large displacement I6 engines.
Yearly cleaning of the throttle body is correct. While cleaning, disconnect the battery.
DO NOT USE THE OLM (oil life monitor). Do the oil changes religiously at 3000 miles. The VVT/CPAS (Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid), and your wallet, will thank you!
Remember the oil pressure guage is FAKE. The pressure reading you see is a estimated oil pressure calculated by the ECM. It will read normal, even if there is only 3PSI.
Because of the design, and the way the engines run, if the thermostat goes bad, it tends to clog the Cat quickly. Be mindful of MIL lights.
The thermo-electric fan clutch is a known issue. Its advised when it goes bad to send the PCM out to get it tuned out, and replace the thermo-electric clutch with a normal thermal clutch from the 2008-2009 model years. I have this done on one of mine.
The 4x4 systems are always neglected, and the transfer case on these seem to be more sensitive to it. Change the Front/Rear/TC every 50k, and you wont have any issues.
Edit:
The door handle pull being loose/broken is another common issue. Repair kits are available.
Blend door actuators are another common issue.
Edit2: Most common question on these trucks are about lifts and wheels. I cant help with lifts, but the wheels are specific to the GMT360. Isuzu Ascender, Oldsmobile Bravada, GMC Envoy, Buick Rainier, Chevy Trailblazer, Saab 9-7x. The Chevy SSR also works, but those are staggered wheels, so cant be used on a 4x4/AWD truck.

I know way more about these trucks than I should... Although I know a lot more about the V8 and XUV models.
www.gmtnation.com has a lot of good info, and knowledgeable people.

Reactions: movietvet

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Ran the build sheet.. Peppy it should be, you have the GT4/3.73 gears, with the G80 locker. Should do nicely for you.

On your build..

I dont see the BOSE option. So pull the speakers, and try them on a home stereo and see if they work. This will narrow down the issue to a radio or a speaker.

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
Thanks @TollKeeper for the invite here. Does @Shaggy run this forum too?

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Thanks @TollKeeper for the invite here. Does @Shaggy run this forum too?
Nope different owner, from a different history.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here, but we arent as active as the TYF. They havent made this truck in 14 years, so...

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Your other post disappeared as soon as I responded to it!

70 on the 24th?

My son is 5 on the 23rd..
I am 46 on the 26th...

Did you ever feel Xmas was a ripoff when you were a kid? LOL!

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
My mom would tell all friends and relatives that if they gave me one present for the both days, she would never talk to them again or allow them in the house. My mom didn't take crap from anyone.

Reactions: christo829

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
Welcome aboard from another Oregonian!
You don't have to say the city, unless you want to, but where in Oregon are you from?

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
Your other post disappeared as soon as I responded to it!

70 on the 24th?

My son is 5 on the 23rd..
I am 46 on the 26th...

Did you ever feel Xmas was a ripoff when you were a kid? LOL!
My mom would tell all friends and relatives that if they gave me one present for the both days, she would never talk to them again or allow them in the house. My mom didn't take crap from anyone.

Forgot to quote you in the other reply.

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
I am in Eugene. I was actually at the airport in Portland and for some stupid reason made the wrong exit and almost got in the middle of the protests they were having, way back when. Beautiful city but crappy politics and loons on the streets.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Welcome! @TollKeeper covered pretty much everything. If you really want to dive in, you could go through the FAQs. The link to them is in my signature.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online