New wheels and tires for lifted Envoy

seanadooley

Original poster
Jan 31, 2015
I put a 3" suspension lift on my 08 Envoy. I am wanting new wheels and bigger tires. Wanting to stay with 17" wheels but bigger tires. Can anyone guide me as to how big of tires I can get without cutting and hammering too much to the fenders. Also, what specs do I need to look for in wheels as far as offset versus spacers. I have very little technical ability so take it easy on me lol.

10363849_10101242543530041_4749367687622344609_n.jpg

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
Welcome to The Fam. You will find everything associated with our trucks and GREAT people who Love their GMT's.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Stock wheel width is 7" with a stock backspacing of 6". 1.5" spacers will clear your upper ball joint, which effectively makes your wheels have a 4.5" backspace. So you can use that info for aftermarket wheels.

Thing is, there aren't that many aftermarket wheels with our 6x5 bolt pattern. Far more available with 6x5.5. A lot of those wheels have a lower backspacing though so that plus adapters (which are also usually 1.5") can lead to the wheels sticking way out if you aren't careful.

*edit* sorry got my backspacing and offsets mixed up. I think I got the terms straightened out.

minisuv

Apr 17, 2015
Hey Guy's I am new here I always ran fullsize SUV's still have 1 lifted 95 GMC'burban diesel but the wife gave me her '04 Envoy as she got a new ride only has 70k on it and is show room condition. AS most I want the 17x8 wheel 265/70/17 BF A/T's plan on a lift of 2"-2.5" marcs set up since he devoted time for us or is there another? Bilstein struts n gas shocks rear. I cannot find wheels 6 on 5 bolt pattern and a +25 off set as they say no wheel spacer is needed. I have looked at many forums on here but they are all over. Is there a machined aluminum wheel 17x8 with the right offset to run those tires with no spacers. I saw 1 a guy used a wheel gunner 6 discontinued like most 6 on 5 +25 off set 265/70/17 and had 1" clearance from ball joint. Or do I use stock wheels. I am in a area where we get 250 inches of snow yearly lake effect and 2 month mud saeson. Any help or guide me to the right forum would be great thank you. look forward to see'in your rides and the help.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
You could run those tires on stock wheels, with Mark's wheel spacers no problem. That's what I did (with the equivalent 16" wheel tire size). I would go with MarkMC just because it is proven and he's been such an active supporter. I suggest the 3" lift just because with the 2.5" lift you need the stock style upper mounts to put the spacers in, and you likely will need new mounts and that'll just put the total price similar to the 3". The 3" is more durable a design overall than the stock mount anyway.

One of these days I'm going to look into aftermarket wheels again as well to avoid adapters/spacers if possible, but with our fairly unique bolt pattern it is hard to find much.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011

minisuv

Apr 17, 2015
I like both sets of wheels, I am trying to avoide spacers if possible thank you, I heard the 3 inch lift puts tomuch stress on the front axles the 2.5 which ends up being 2" reduces this a bit is there truth to that was told to add Bilstein struts when I install. I want to raise it up a bit with all the snow n mud here. then will come the auburne locker. If I go up 2 inches do you recomend a different tire size I know about clearing the ball joint on height but you here so many opinions thats why I went with that tire size heard it was a perfect fit with 17x8 wheels +25 offset so spacers.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Not a lot of options in our bolt pattern. For what it is worth, the spacers we recommend using aren't the ones that just go between the hub and wheel utilizing the same studs. The ones Mark has uses the hub lugs to bolt onto, then you bolt the wheel to the spacer. In that sense it is more of an adapter than spacer, just retaining the original bolt pattern.

They look like this

image-trailblazer_spacer-small.jpg

Just wanted to clear that up in case you were thinking of these;

F19700954.jpg

minisuv

Apr 17, 2015
I knew the spacers but rather just use a good offset wheel as the ones showing. I hope I picked a good size tire but what about a 2 inch lift rather then 3. A 3 will eat up front shafts correct? And is Bilstein struts the way to go or is there others? And for the rear do you go with spacers or Z71 off road springs? I want to do it right the first time around. Thank you for your help..

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
False. 3 wont eat shafts. I had no issues with boots and the ones that do just repack and use a muffler clamp on the boots. Many do it now as cheap preventative when installing cause it is simple with it all apart.

The Bilstien HD are on backorder, but are the way to go. Not sure when they will be around, but no others seem to be as satisfactory in the years I have been around this platforms lifted rigs.

I hated the z71 rear springs. Rode way too stiff and beat my truck on city streets. But others love them. They are cheap enough to try., The spacer will give a bit more lift than just the z71. If you go with 3 inches you could pair with Skyjacker C25R springs but they are near 4 inches rear lift.

Not sure why you say the 2.5 wil only give you 2 inches of lift. What brand are you referring to? MarkMC stuff is generally right at lift advertised, but what model front springs you have will make a difference as well. You can get heavier spring or use one or both parts of the 2.5 lift in the front and dial in the stance you need.

minisuv

Apr 17, 2015
I am learning you see many threads of people who say this n that then they are gone. I will get marcs 3 inch lift as this is a northeast truck so im sure it will need parts anyway but she is clean. so with the 3 inch lift guess im waiting on the bilsteins and 17x8 wheel +25 no need for spacers? how tall can you get to the 265/70/17 or can i get a bit more height but not wider? A little wider would be nice. it will see action im sure it will go everywhere my buddys jeep sport goes with 32"s on it. All you guys have been very helpfull, thank you.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I would stick with the 265 70 17 or if you do find something not wider but taller, you will have an oddball and not only pay more up front but maybe in trouble if you ever need a spare in the middle of nowhere as that kinda thing always seems to happen.

There is nothing wrong with the 2.5 really and may be just right for you. It is not much cheaper though when you add in the replacement pieces.

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
minisuv said:
I am learning you see many threads of people who say this n that then they are gone. I will get marcs 3 inch lift as this is a northeast truck so im sure it will need parts anyway but she is clean. so with the 3 inch lift guess im waiting on the bilsteins and 17x8 wheel +25 no need for spacers? how tall can you get to the 265/70/17 or can i get a bit more height but not wider? A little wider would be nice. it will see action im sure it will go everywhere my buddys jeep sport goes with 32"s on it. All you guys have been very helpfull, thank you.
A 17x8 wheel with +25 offset will only gain you at most a half inch of ball joint clearance. You have to remember our stock wheels are only 7 inches wide with +50 offset.

minisuv

Apr 17, 2015
With the bigger trucks offset was never a prob. If I an to run a 17x8 what should I use for back spaceing so I do not need spacers? I got the envoy today on such a deal (divorce) clean and ready to be messed with.

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
minisuv said:
With the bigger trucks offset was never a prob. If I an to run a 17x8 what should I use for back spaceing so I do not need spacers? I got the envoy today on such a deal (divorce) clean and ready to be messed with.
How much clearance you obtain from lower offset depends on how much wider the wheels are. You should really look at backspace. Stock backspace is ~6 inches you want at least ~5 inches or lower. On an 8 inch wide rim, you need +12 offset to obtain ~5 inches of backspace. Here is a really helpful chart:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/attachments/f9/36730d1189135036t-wheel-backspace-vs-wheel-offset-offset-bs.gif

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
I'm in a similar situation. I recently ordered custom drilled wheels, 17x8 with a zero offset, i.e. 4.5 inches of back spacing to hopefully fit 265-70-17 inch tires. On the "other site" people with this set up have indicated you still need to trim some of the wheel well and/or fender yet others said no mods needed with just 17x8 wheels with a +25 or +30 offset. I'm now worried the lower offset pushes the tire out to far causing fender clearance issues and I may have been better off with a higher offset. I'll guess I'll find out when my wheels come in approximately 2 weeks from now. Fingers crossed they don't stick out too much.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Can you get a front or rear shot of the outside of fender overhang?

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Can you get a front or rear shot of the outside of fender overhang?
Here is more or less the angle it sticks out most at.

Attachments

• Bad Angle.jpg
    Bad Angle.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 47

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I think it looks OK. Would actually be perfect if you were lifted *hint hint* lol

Where does it rub at?

Reactions: djthumper

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
Here's the culprit and I just trimmed that portion off so hopefully the rubbing issue is resolved.

Attachments

• 20150516_134353.jpg
    20150516_134353.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 30
Reactions: Sib

minisuv

Apr 17, 2015
they do not stick out too much, looks good. if worried about the paint you can use the rubber lip flare with the metal bar in them to keep it stiff. but i would leave it. this is the size I want but with the lift. thumbs up man. My stock wheels are shot so need to find decent machined wheels but do not think since the gunner wheel I will find anything decent. if i go with 18" wheel 6 on 5.5 need to figure out the offset when i get the spacer. I love the little rig but miss my straight axle up front.

minisuv

Apr 17, 2015
Question to all in the NY area. I am in Northern NY, I am getting Marcs lift BUT, I am starting stem cell therapy for APL and CML (2 forms of leukemia) and the dr's have told me I cannot do anything for min. 2 months and ths kills me. I will pay not looking for charity but need help. Even if I have to go to NJ or CT I will. The treatment will be in NYC but if any body is able or knowes someone PLEASE let me know. THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
minisuv said:
Question to all in the NY area. I am in Northern NY, I am getting Marcs lift BUT, I am starting stem cell therapy for APL and CML (2 forms of leukemia) and the dr's have told me I cannot do anything for min. 2 months and ths kills me. I will pay not looking for charity but need help. Even if I have to go to NJ or CT I will. The treatment will be in NYC but if any body is able or knowes someone PLEASE let me know. THANK YOU SO MUCH.
Sorry to hear about the medical issues you are going through. If you are interested I will consider selling my wheels to you and have them shipped to your home. The noticeable sticking out of the tires/wheels beyond the vehicle body is really bothering me; not the look I was going for.

minisuv

Apr 17, 2015
thanks for the offer. I have the same rig as you and was going for the machined look though since you have them mounted on a black rig can you take a good side shot for me to get a good look it may work. thanks. now I just need to get it in the air. thank you.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Something about those looks off... Not dogging them... Just kind of like they're not right. Do you have spacers in there? If not those looks like they're not the right wheels for these trucks. Offset wise or something. Nice wheel though

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
He has 4.5" backspace on them without spacers. They look about the same as someone putting spacers in. What doesn't look right is the tread on those tires. They look like high way tires.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Nah, what doesn't look right is the rear door seal :tongue:

Reactions: djthumper

minisuv

Apr 17, 2015
I ordered a 2.5 inch lift from MARC, I went to many old threads but could not find my answere but found other answeres to other questions, my buddy removed from his brand new jeep bridgestone dueler A/t 255/70/18 now I have stock 18's so with that lift and 1.5"spacers and my stock wheels will they fit and clear the upper ball joint. this saves me buying wheels for now they are 32.2 inches tall. Are they decent tires (if you have had them) for $150 all 4 I cant go wrong. I get to lift and add tires and save money for other things. If you know another post where this is then if you can point me to it or answere that would be great.ty

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I responded to your PM about this.

But--they seem similar enough to the 265 75 16 many run with that setup so you should be good but may need a lil plastic trim

minisuv

Apr 17, 2015
I wonder if spacers are needed. I guess there will be a little bit of a bulge since im staying with stock wheels and a taller and a little wider tire on a 7" wide wheel. better safe then sorry just will need another set when I go to 6 on 5.5.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
YES spacers are needed due to the height of the tire. Unless you want to cut them up on the ball joint if you can even mount them up...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online