New Truck!

rjpoog1989

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
So to make a long story short. I no longer have a Chevy Trailblazer. But, I now own a GMC Canyon SLE! I'll be staying around the forum and will post a build thread and some pics very shortly! I like that when we moved from Trailvoy that now this includes all GMTs, because I'll be here more now and unfortunately on OffroadTB much less... :thumbsup:

edit: forgot I have this pic!
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/600412_10151819306745385_821969521_n.jpg

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Canyon was just rated as the second most dangerous car in America.

2. Colorado Crew Cab
> Make: Chevrolet
> Bad ratings: side-poor; rollover-marginal; rear-marginal
> 2011 sales: 31,026
> Price: $17,475
> JD Power Initial Quality: 3/5

The Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon crew cab are fundamentally the same light truck made by General Motors (NYSE: GM) with differing cosmetic features. The small pickup performed quite poorly in the IIHS tests, earning a “poor” side-impact grade and “marginal” grades for rollover and rear safety. Sales of the Colorado have been especially poor in recent years; GM sold 75,716 such cars in 2007 and only 31,026 in 2011. Making matters worse, a November, 2011, recall of 5,220 Colorados and Canyons due to seat belt safety concerns did not help either the brand’s sales or its safety record.

Read more: The Most Dangerous Cars in America - 24/7 Wall St. The Most Dangerous Cars in America - 24/7 Wall St.

rjpoog1989

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
That kinda sucks but there's not much I can do now except not wreck lol. At any rate I'm still excited about the truck!

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Hey I can't stand to watch the 35mph offset crash test video of one of my cars. They even say in the NHSTA video for my car that ther is little room for survival for the driver. Drove that one for nearly 10 years with luckily no crashes but that was always in the back of my mind.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Nice truck. WOuld love to have one like that myself.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Jkust said:
Canyon was just rated as the second most dangerous car in America.
<snip>

lol way to be Mr. Downer :tongue:

I do suspect that the IIHS tests change over time, so "marginal" today would very possibly have been "good" few years ago before 10 million airbags and rollover sensors and whatnot.

Wex

Dec 4, 2011
The trailblazer has a weakpoint that I was aware of before I purchased. It was not awarded 5 star because the knee next to the radio would probably take a hard hit. Now I wonder how I should position myself if I see something I will not be able to avoid. Another fault was drivers head impact on the b-pillar.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Wex said:
The trailblazer has a weakpoint that I was aware of before I purchased. It was not awarded 5 star because the knee next to the radio would probably take a hard hit. Now I wonder how I should position myself if I see something I will not be able to avoid. Another fault was drivers head impact on the b-pillar.

True. At the same time, how often does either of those instances happen during an accident? Also depends a bit on the driver (posture, seat position, etc). Even though I'm 5'11" I don't think I have the seat back far enough for me to really hit my head on the B pillar too easily. I could see bashing my knee on the console, but then I would think that is a possibility in any vehicle really.

rjpoog1989

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
CdnGMan said:
Nice looking truck... I like the colour...
I imagine that you're going to be lifting it soon... right?? :thumbsup:

I love the color as well, but it was just icing on the cake as far as this truck is concerned. In my mind it wasn't missing any pieces to the puzzle, other than a bed liner, which is the next thing on my to do list. Once I get some spare change I'll be doing a Hurculiner kit.

A lift may be on the way but not for a while, as I have no money. This truck was not planned for, now was it kept within budget, like I said, there is a long story behind it... All that said it's in the driveway, I paid all cash for it so no loan or anything, but no money in the bank account anymore...

I took it wheeling for the first time this afternoon to see how well the Z71 package performs. It did real well. This truck has 31X10.5R15 Kelly Safari Trex tires which performed flawlessly. My buddy and I spent the afternoon plinking with .22 rifles and shooting sporting clays with 12 gauge shotguns. We had a great time and got the truck a little dirty in the process:wootwoot:. I have some pics of where we were shooting that I will post soon.

Ghost

Jun 1, 2012
rjpoog1989 said:
So to make a long story short. I no longer have a Chevy Trailblazer. But, I now own a GMC Canyon SLE! I'll be staying around the forum and will post a build thread and some pics very shortly! I like that when we moved from Trailvoy that now this includes all GMTs, because I'll be here more now and unfortunately on OffroadTB much less... :thumbsup:

edit: forgot I have this pic!
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/600412_10151819306745385_821969521_n.jpg

Nice ! Wish I'd gotten a p/u insted of a soccer mom suv lol roll

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Sparky said:
lol way to be Mr. Downer :tongue:

I do suspect that the IIHS tests change over time, so "marginal" today would very possibly have been "good" few years ago before 10 million airbags and rollover sensors and whatnot.

Ha, Mr Pragmatism, not Mr. Downer. Actually literally I just read the least safe cars report and the post popped up.

rjpoog1989

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
So, now I'm royally pissed off. Today I was driving about two blocks to my parents house and for some reason my transmission refused to shift up to second gear from first. You can imagine my frustration now. I may kill someone, I've only had this peice of shit for about a week and put around 600 miles on it. I was dealing with all the little petty things like scratches I didn't notice when I purchased and things of that nature but this I will not look at positively. FML...:hissyfit:

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
rjpoog1989 said:
So, now I'm royally pissed off. Today I was driving about two blocks to my parents house and for some reason my transmission refused to shift up to second gear from first. You can imagine my frustration now. I may kill someone, I've only had this peice of shit for about a week and put around 600 miles on it. I was dealing with all the little petty things like scratches I didn't notice when I purchased and things of that nature but this I will not look at positively. FML...:hissyfit:

Did u buy a warranty?

rjpoog1989

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Yes it will be covered under warranty. They are coming here tomorrow to tow the vehicle to the dealership and service the transmission. I get to borrow my brothers car to get to work and back the next few days. He has a chevy cobalt, which I can't stand, but he's off at school and it's a point A to B vehicle. Any who, I'm still a little frustrated, but that's life, and used cars...

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
rjpoog1989 said:
Yes it will be covered under warranty. They are coming here tomorrow to tow the vehicle to the dealership and service the transmission. I get to borrow my brothers car to get to work and back the next few days. He has a chevy cobalt, which I can't stand, but he's off at school and it's a point A to B vehicle. Any who, I'm still a little frustrated, but that's life, and used cars...

Those cobalts are so small. I barely fit in them haha but things do happen, back when my parents picked up our Yukon brand new it twice won't start because of the battery failing but if you have warranty like we did its cool it will fixed in no time! We even got the warranty to change there tires :biggrin:

Transmission is a sticky part to play with! Good luck man! My buddy has the same truck as well, just I recommend a bed cover for the rear unless you have one already :thumbsup:

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
rjpoog1989 said:

Did you get it at a GM dealer? Thomas? or uhh what's the other one, Stocker? I have a hard time keeping up with the dealers around here... Yea, I just noticed where your from, I live about 5-10 minutes from J-town.

rjpoog1989

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
Transmission is a sticky part to play with! Good luck man! My buddy has the same truck as well, just I recommend a bed cover for the rear unless you have one already :thumbsup:

I actually have the bed cover which is nice. It keeps air out of the bed and seems to help gas mileage, I've been getting around 20-21 mpg.

rjpoog1989

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
McGMT said:
Did you get it at a GM dealer? Thomas? or uhh what's the other one, Stocker? I have a hard time keeping up with the dealers around here... Yea, I just noticed where your from, I live about 5-10 minutes from J-town.

I got it at Zeigler Chevrolet in Claysburg. I can't stand Thomas. I've never dealt with Stocker, which is in State College where I go to school. Also, I looked at Cover Chevy in Windber, don't go there, they tried to dick me over... It's nice to see someone else from the area though. My parents live in Richland, which is where I'm living at the moment.

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
rjpoog1989 said:
I got it at Zeigler Chevrolet in Claysburg. I can't stand Thomas. I've never dealt with Stocker, which is in State College where I go to school. Also, I looked at Cover Chevy in Windber, don't go there, they tried to dick me over... It's nice to see someone else from the area though. My parents live in Richland, which is where I'm living at the moment.

Good deal, yea I figured you didn't actually live down in j-town.... You actually speak english haha. I am over a mile or two outside New Florence in Indiana Co.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
rjpoog1989 said:
I actually have the bed cover which is nice. It keeps air out of the bed and seems to help gas mileage, I've been getting around 20-21 mpg.

Yes it does help a ton with mpg and the truck rides a lot smoother also!

rjpoog1989

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Update:
So the truck has been running good since that small hiccup a while back so now I'm regaining confidence in the vehicle.

I never did get to post pics of the truck, so I figured I'd throw up a few:

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

31x10.5x15 Kelly Safari Trex
IMG_0064.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online