New Truck Order is IN!

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Well. the XUV is likely getting replaced. She is still running good, but its just time for something new/newer.

In the market, newer is just overpriced. And if you can find a dealer that isnt charging some HUGE markup for a new truck/car, than its a buyers market.

As some of you know, I am very particular. High HP was the highest on my list this time round, but without breaking the bank.. Most of the vehicles I considered did break the bank!
I considered a-
  1. Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk and Trailhawk
  2. Ram TRX
  3. Cayenne
  4. Q7
  5. Escalade-V
  6. Escalade Hennessey
  7. Tesla Model X
  8. Genesis QV80
  9. Durango SRT
  10. GMC Hummer
  11. Ford F150 Lightning
  12. Silverado/Sierra EV
  13. and I am sure a few more
Having never driven one, or seen one... I decided on the Rivian R1T. 835HP, and 914TQ.. Its quite the ball buster.

I went out to one of local dealers today, and they were holding their first day opening today. Got to get my hands on one, see it, feel it, hear it, take a ride in one. Some of the color options are.... grotesque! But I optioned one out for LA Silver, with black interior. I ordered one a couple months ago, and got the price locked in at 73600. At the start of this month, they raised the prices 20%! (AKA, PriceGate). Glad I got locked in when I did! My build should be around 1st quarter of 2023. So I got 1 more year in my old faithful XUV! Then she will likely be for sale. Keeping my wives Aztek for now.. I wont buy her anything new. She just doesnt drive enough to justify it. On her Aztek, she has put on 75k miles, in 17 years! 4400 miles a year. And she loves her car, although it was just totaled for the 2nd time since owning it. 1st time from an accident (I repaired it), this time from hail. No repairing this one. But my wife still loves it, although she has hinted it was time for a new car. Since her car is also her business car, told her to increase her business income, and we will pay for it there. She took on 2 new clients this week!

Rivian R1T - Wikipedia

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
They're really cool and well equipped. It's a little rich for my blood... but most new trucks are now. I lucked out getting the colorado when I did. I looked EV long and hard but, I have a lot to update on my end to make it work... widen the driveway, update the house electrical to support more than one, fell a ton of trees if I want solar... its a lot.

But will be something I plan for when I eventually start house hunting again... it just got way too expensive for me to even stomach looking. Houses that could be had for 180k as fixers are going in the upper 400 range now and even at double my pay... just the taxes alone at something valued at that price would kill me. I basically own out right the colorado so when I do eventually start the only real debt I'll assume or even have is the house. The area I'm looking they all are built facing the optimal direction already for solar and they're newer enough I can do some trick efficiency stuff with them to keep monthly costs pretty low.

And build my workshop with a lift I always wanted. For the one time a year I'll be able to afford a tank of 94 for the vette. :tongue: Dream big, right?

Do keep us updated when you get it. I know of 1 person with one and they like it quite a lot. There were some compromises to be had with it they said but overall what new it brings to the table kind of washed it. Good luck.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You might not get as much for your XUV when the time comes to trade it unless gas prices come back down. Apparently dealers have been told to lower trade ins on gas guzzlers by 20%.

EVs will be/are in high demand because of current world events and will be harder to get. The price increases, I think, are more because of demandflation. You did a great deal on it before that happened.

I'm sure it's a great vehicle, but that front end, I see this...

Madilyn-Smith-Entity-Squidward1-1320x720.png

Just my personal taste though. I'm more a traditionalist, which is why I went with the Sierra instead of the Silverado. Sometimes you have to go beyond the looks.

• Haha
Reactions: northcreek

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
They're really cool and well equipped. It's a little rich for my blood... but most new trucks are now. I lucked out getting the colorado when I did. I looked EV long and hard but, I have a lot to update on my end to make it work... widen the driveway, update the house electrical to support more than one, fell a ton of trees if I want solar... its a lot.

But will be something I plan for when I eventually start house hunting again... it just got way too expensive for me to even stomach looking. Houses that could be had for 180k as fixers are going in the upper 400 range now and even at double my pay... just the taxes alone at something valued at that price would kill me. I basically own out right the colorado so when I do eventually start the only real debt I'll assume or even have is the house. The area I'm looking they all are built facing the optimal direction already for solar and they're newer enough I can do some trick efficiency stuff with them to keep monthly costs pretty low.

And build my workshop with a lift I always wanted. For the one time a year I'll be able to afford a tank of 94 for the vette. :tongue: Dream big, right?

Do keep us updated when you get it. I know of 1 person with one and they like it quite a lot. There were some compromises to be had with it they said but overall what new it brings to the table kind of washed it. Good luck.
I'm curious on when he got his? They just started deliveries last week!

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I'm curious on when he got his? They just started deliveries last week!
I'm honestly not sure. He's like a friend of a friend and I just shot him a text when I saw the photo is all. Maybe a month ago. But he's had some one offs over the years that were pretty cool.

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Well... I changed my order... 2 kids, 2 dogs... Looking forward.. Soccer/baseball/football/etc camps, friends, etc... A pickup would be nice, just doesnt make sense

So I switched it for the Rivian R1S. Luckily I got my order in before "Price-Gate" and I am still locked in at 76450. They are currently being sold for 95150. So happy about that..

Changed the color from Silver to White, keeping the same black Pleather interior (kids!).

Rivian - Electric Adventure Vehicles

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO

I have also come to the conclusion that most of the people that are buying Rivian cars are a bunch off a$$holes.

They criticize people for buying such a expensive truck that question the affordability of it all... "These are life choice trucks, a hobby, a luxury, and you dont need it". While I get the Luxury part, the rest is pure BS. This is going to be my primary vehicle, driven every day (into the ground!), driven within a inch or two of its, and my, life.

The reason I say this, the government is giving rebates to those who lock in their orders before a certain time line. At a 7500 federal, and 3500 state, thats 11000 off a brand new vehicle, which can potentially change the payment of the truck to the tune of 150-250 bucks a month. Now I aint rich, but 200 bucks in my pocket, every month, for just buying a vehicle I was already going to purchase, and some idiot somewhere is going to force me to buy anyways.. Its just common sense I think.

Well to some of these "life choice vehicles" people, I should not be getting the rebate, and if 200 is going to change my mind on buying the vehicle, I was never going to afford it anyways.
:jawdrop2::mad::explode::hissyfit:

Im buying one only because to get ANY vehicle on the market to do what a Rivian does, in its size class, weight category, etc.. I would be spending WELL OVER 76k. Porsche Taycan, Lamborghini Urus, Bentley Bontega... I dont know about you... I dont have a quarter million sitting in the bank! Or buy some Tahoe/Yukon/Esky, or other big SUV, and dropping boat loads of boost, and other supporting mods on it... I would again, be well over 76k... For a vehicle that does it out of the box, with warranty!

Anyways.... :rant:

Last edited:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I pass the same 5 going to work everyday... Assholes I concur. Now how there are 5 in my area? Don't know. I see more broncos than jeeps now too... There are 2 lightnings in the parking lot at work now too. :confused:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I saw a couple on the road when I was in LA. Apart from the front end I just can't get used to (sorry, it just looks like Squidward to me), looks OK. Don't mind other people. Just do what's right for you and screw the rest.

So, when's it scheduled to arrive? Summer 2024? :laugh:

Reactions: Redbeard

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Wow... Didnt know I was so far behind in this thread..

The first Rivian I specced got delivered to the local dealer November 2nd. Went and talked to my tax person.. And it would have been a bad move.

Told Rivian I was on vacation from Novermber 17th to December 29th, as the first day for delivery option was November 18th.

To my surprise, they said no problem, took the VIN/Truck back, and resold it to someone in Ohio.

They put my order back in December 19th, and I optioned to modify it some. Went from the 20" AT Rims and tires to the 22" Bright Sport. Changed the interior from black to White. And was planning on changing the color to something else. But before I could, my order was built on December 21st!

It finished final quality control on December 30th, and they are working on getting it on a train/transporter to Denver now.

I think I am glad I did this... It likely saved me some cash... It changed my MY production from a 2023 to a 2024. So if I trade it off later, this will net me about 10-15k!

My order looks like this..
1704217778622.png

1704217592824.png
1704217885481.png
1704217904169.png

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Got her picked up today... I was not able to do the checklist... Which is a fault of my own. Its just way to damn cold out there. -10F during pick up.. FUDGE THAT!

Got home, and looked it over pretty good, and cant find anything wrong, other than it has .46 version instead of .50. It will update, hopefully sooner than later. Did notice the New Style FOB.

Dont have the Rivian charger installed yet, so its trickle charging from the little one. Hopefully will have the L2 installed in 2 weeks, and use the little one/ChargePoint for now.

Took my wife for a test drive in it, and my room mate, his wife, and one of his kids.. They all squealed a bit when I laid into it. Wasnt able to go full bore, as traction control, and snow/ice was on the road. But it was still fun.

Met another Rivian owner at the SC, who I purchased the OEM All Weather Mats from. And then the SC installed them for me! Put the Chilewach mats in the trunk for now.

Put 40 miles on it. No complaints so far. No wind noise on the highway, but I also was blasting some music. Sounds pretty good over my 2004 GMC that I am coming out of.

Now I just need to get it to stop locking/unlocking constantly in my garage!

Pics!
419456543_10227466676226623_2758531289865056459_n.jpg419473259_10227466677786662_405243484925623421_n.jpg419480240_10227466677186647_5200672849414012578_n.jpg419496964_10227466677586657_3080314351954982179_n.jpg419513312_10227466676706635_143870226816965477_n.jpg419530935_10227466676026618_3755376799562844575_n.jpg419690215_10227466677466654_5631250564736042048_n.jpg

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Congrats! Don't you just love looking over a new vehicle.

It'll be interesting to hear about the range in winter as I have heard that it can be a problem having to use some of the juice for heat.

Eric04

Dec 3, 2014
West Michigan
That's an impressive ride! Honestly, the price wasn't bad either. I thought it was going to be closer to 100k. Rivian specs are quite good, and feedback has been overwhelming positive.

Eric04

Dec 3, 2014
West Michigan
It'll be interesting to hear about the range in winter as I have heard that it can be a problem having to use some of the juice for heat.

There is definitely a winter punch in the range sack. Some of that is attributable to the cold, just as mileage suffers with ICE too. Each EV will have different mitigation methods, but regardless, yes, it will take more energy during winter whether from the grid or the battery pack. My Bolt has no other similarity to his Rivian, save they are both EV, but I was down 20% on range with cold temperatures. Added aggressive winter tires, lost another 15%. Between the resistive heater use and increased energy use due to tires and snow covered roads, my daily commute that used to consume roughly 10kWh during mild weather is now consuming 15kWh. Many contributing factors and variances between manufacturers but they all take some kind of hit. It'll be cool to see his differences from now to spring.

Plugging in at home kinda makes the cold range issues moot. Road trips in winter are where you'd have to plan accordingly.

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I think the biggest hit to my battery pack is my getting used to having 835hp/915tq at the tip of my foot. And so far I have been "dipping" into it A LOT! Its quite addictive this 0-60 in 3.0 secs. And it being a truck that weighs OVER 7000 lbs... Its quite impressive!

Eric04

Dec 3, 2014
West Michigan
I think the biggest hit to my battery pack is my getting used to having 835hp/915tq at the tip of my foot. And so far I have been "dipping" into it A LOT! Its quite addictive this 0-60 in 3.0 secs. And it being a truck that weighs OVER 7000 lbs... Its quite impressive!
Right?! Lol. Dude. I just got through rolling my eyes at a coworker telling me how electric trucks don't have the HP to tow. I mean, damn! There are a lot of dumb people. 🤣

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Towing is another world in a EV.. problem is no range. My normal range is estimated around 300 miles. I think towing my Triton 2 place enclosed it would drop to 200ish. I bet it's down to 100 with a bigger heavier trailer

Last edited:

Eric04

Dec 3, 2014
West Michigan
True. The HP and torque? No problem. Range is hobbled like a gasser. Diesel still rules for distance towing. This fellow gives an honest look.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Towing is another world in a EV.. problem is no range.
Yep. Was talking with a client and he told me the story of a buddy who raved about his Lightning until he tried to tow a trailer with it. Midway to Sudbury, he ran out of juice and was stuck in the middle of nowhere. When the tow truck came, all he could do is unhook the trailer, leaving it there, and tow the truck somewhere to have it charged. He got back and gave it back to the dealership, who actually refunded his total amount, and then turned around and resold it for more money. That was before the EV downturn.

• Wow
Reactions: Redbeard

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I am curious to see what it does with my 2 place Triton enclosed, with 3 ATV's in it. On my Envoy, fuel mileage went down going to the mountains, but would be higher than normal, by 2mpg, on the return.

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
That's an impressive ride! Honestly, the price wasn't bad either. I thought it was going to be closer to 100k. Rivian specs are quite good, and feedback has been overwhelming positive.
The build spec is $97250. But back in 2023, they had a event that Rivian owners call Price-Gate.

For no other reason, other than they could, they raised the prices, for all orders, by $16-25k.

All of a sudden, they had about 40%+ of their pre-orders cancelled.

2 days later, they back pedaled, and said only new orders would have the price increase.

I had a pre-order, so I was locked in at $75500. The total bill at the dealer, for purchase, registration, delivery fees, etc., was $84355. Of which I get $8750 back next year in tax breaks for the EV purchase.

The part I am wondering about, if my math is correct, it will cost me $80 bucks a month in electricity to drive this thing. Which is, at current gas prices, about $25 bucks cheaper than my gasoline powered Envoy. I wont really know on this one until I get my L2 charger installed in my house this weekend (I hope).

The Rivian I ordered came in 3 weeks early, so I was not ready for it when I got the call last Monday to schedule delivery.

Reactions: Eric04 and Redbeard

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Had the truck for 5 days now, only 126 miles.. I am still getting used to it, and all its electronic gizmos and gadgets. Disabled the lane keep assist. Most annoying thing ever. Disabled the automatic windshield wipers.

Range anxiety is a real thing. Still dont have the L2 charger installed. Hoping to have it installed Saturday. The little L1 charger is not able to keep my head above water. Drive 40 miles a day, charge back 20. I am running out of battery! At 57% state of charge right now, but I still got to drive home. I think I might be out of range by Friday. Which means having to pay and get it charged at a public charging station!

Eric04

Dec 3, 2014
West Michigan
Had the truck for 5 days now, only 126 miles.. I am still getting used to it, and all its electronic gizmos and gadgets. Disabled the lane keep assist. Most annoying thing ever. Disabled the automatic windshield wipers.

Range anxiety is a real thing. Still dont have the L2 charger installed. Hoping to have it installed Saturday. The little L1 charger is not able to keep my head above water. Drive 40 miles a day, charge back 20. I am running out of battery! At 57% state of charge right now, but I still got to drive home. I think I might be out of range by Friday. Which means having to pay and get it charged at a public charging station!

Once you get the L2 going you'll be fine. I get by with L1, but the Bolt is an efficiency model, so in summer I can do that 40 miles with 10 kWh or less. 15 in average winter temps here(20s-30s). I'm sure a beast like the Rivian will drink more. It's like a cavalier vs. a tahoe fuel situation, but that hoe can do a lot more than get you from a to b. I assume you'll be ripping at 48 amps or so once L2 is in? 12A is my L1 draw, so yeah, it'll be worlds better.

In the meantime, if you haven't already, get Plugshare app on your phone. Not only location of public DC fast chargers but feedback on current working condition and availability. Takes a lot of the nuisance out of public charging.

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
My ChargePoint app has the public chargers.. Its what I have been using all week!

I am putting that L2 in today (i hope).. It will be a 40amp. I already have 8awg wiring a short distance away, on a dual pole 50a circuit. So 40amp it is. No need to rerun the wire with a 6awg to get a 48amp circuit. The gains dont equate out..

I went to Lowes last night to get the wiring. Not sure what happened, but I got $160 in wire for $6.25. I didnt realize it till I got home. I am not going to complain..

Reactions: Matt and Eric04

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Charger installed!

Charged from 30% battery to 90% battery in 6 hours. Cost? $6.31

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
I went to Lowes last night to get the wiring. Not sure what happened, but I got $160 in wire for $6.25.
And I thought that I was doing good with my military discount.... :biggrin:

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Rivian keeps impressing.. Although I have found a couple imperfections.

The 0-60 in 3.0 secs is jaw dropping. My wife hates it!

I found a exterior panel mis-alignment, a panel fitment issue, and a center console that only opens when it wants to.

Been just short of 2 weeks now, 485 miles. Going to and from work, I average about 20-25 kWh. That translates to $2.12-$2.65 per daily fill up. Was costing around $6-10 per day with the Envoy. Its a 39 mile round trip. Was getting 16.2 mpg with the Envoy.

As I have said, I didnt buy this to save money, or even to be green. But if they are a side effect? Who am I to complain!

10.2 1/4 and 0-60 in 3.0 is why I bought it!

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Up to 1700 miles. And its still a great truck. Rivian @home service came and fixed most of my issues. 1 issue they couldnt, and I am not worried about it.

I have found that I REALLY dont like the front seats. Not made for fat americans...

Deposited in my bank the funds needed to pay off my house, my personal loan, and the Rivian.

Debt free in T-Minus 9 days!

Trying to figure out which Laptop to buy.. An Alienware or a Asus or a MSI or ACER. Surprisingly the MSI and ASUS or the more expensive ones, and the Alienware comes with a better warranty... Not sure about the ACER

I think I will be buying the Dell.

Alienware..

Acer

Asus

MSI (Stupid expensive)

Last edited:

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
So....

(MSP = Tesla Model S Performance)
(QM-T = Rivian R1T Quad Motor)

One of my Co-Workers with his Just-Purchased Tesla Model 3 Performance was nagging me that my R1S didnt stand a chance.... To be honest, I didnt think it did.

My work has a 1/3 mile private drive to get into the parking stalls for our equipment.

At first he was laughing at me, cause I had to put it into performance mode, and wait for the suspension to do its thing..
Lined up, side by side.. At first it was a win... He forgot to put it into DRIVE!
Now whos laughing... watching him go backwards, and me forwards. He stopped with just inches before hitting the fence at the end of the drive.

Lined up again, and it was a TIE! I mean maybe one of us had a couple inchs on the other. But we were window to window the hole way down. He was shocked.. and so was I.

I think I would have pulled on him a but if I wasnt at 47% charge.. Maybe?

I saw the track race on the Rivian forums inbetween someone with a QM-T and a MSP, and the MSP handily beat him... But he was on A/T's too. and I am on 22" Bright Performance.

It was all good fun while on a break.

Afterwards, I checked the 0-60.. And it actually went exactly how it should have. We are both 3.0 secs to 60

Last edited:

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Up to 1700 miles. And its still a great truck. Rivian @home service came and fixed most of my issues. 1 issue they couldnt, and I am not worried about it.

I have found that I REALLY dont like the front seats. Not made for fat americans...

Deposited in my bank the funds needed to pay off my house, my personal loan, and the Rivian.

Debt free in T-Minus 9 days!

Trying to figure out which Laptop to buy.. An Alienware or a Asus or a MSI or ACER. Surprisingly the MSI and ASUS or the more expensive ones, and the Alienware comes with a better warranty... Not sure about the ACER

I think I will be buying the Dell.

Alienware..

Acer

Asus

MSI (Stupid expensive)
Custom Dell Alienware M18R2 AMD Delivered today...

And its destroyed.

YAY!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobby2175

Members Online