New Tires

Envoy09

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Hi guys,

Thinking of changing my tires. Current set are Goodyears, they've run 65,000km. Thread is not really worn out but I see some cuts & nicks. Considering they've completed 3 harsh summers here, I think it would be better to have them changed. What's the opinion on Pirelli Scorpion Verde? They cost around 170$. Size is 255/60 R-17

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR

Envoy09

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
I did read the reviews thru Google. Mixed reviews. ..some say quiet others say noisy. I am confused. Just to add....my driving is only on paved roads, mostly highway.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
They look decent. Nice siping for any wet conditions.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Mainly highway......Michelin Latitude Tour....Do not get the "HP" version.

Another option is the new Bridgestone Dueler Alenza "Plus"

Envoy09

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Went around looking for tires. Available choices are as below:
Bridgestone Dueler H/P Sport
General Grabber GT
Yokohama Geolander
Pirelli Scorpion Verde
Continental 4x4 Contact

Price is not a factor as the difference in price is maximum of around 30$. General Grabber is the cheapest.

Any opinions on these? How about the Bridgestone HP Sport? Alenza is not available here in Kuwait.
What about continental?

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
The newer contacts from continental have good reviews at Tirerack.com. A great resouce too.

Personally I'd get the General's. IF I couldn't find a reasonably priced Michelin LTX m/s.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
General Grabber HTS is a great tire choice for this platform. Not sure if you can get them over there, or if the GT is the world-market equivalent.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Envoy09 said:
Price is not a factor as the difference in price is maximum of around 30$.
You'd be astonished at the wailing and moaning from some folks who see a $0.50 difference in the cost of spark plugs and it's like the end of the world is nigh. :eek:

I like your attitude. :thumbsup:

Reactions: BHAMER and Envoy09

Envoy09

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
GT seems to be a new model, it replaces UHP. What I've noticed here is that for any particular size, you get only one model per tire brand. I guess there is just one main dealer for a brand who supplies to all shops.
I've never used a General tire and would like to try it out. What do you say guys?
My priorities are grip on dry paved roads, less noise & some grip for the occasional rainy days. No off roading.

Roadie, thanks for the compliment . :smile:

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
My HTSs are great in the dry, wet, and even snow. I have used other General tires and have always liked them.

ajallen14

Sep 24, 2013
I'd say go with some Michelin MS2 tired of you're willing to pay for Pirellis. (I work at a discount tire)

shepherd92683

Dec 23, 2012
I'm ready to get the Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus tires myself. i test drove them with Pirelli about a year and a half ago and they were amazing (2013 SRT-8 Jeep). The handling and braking ability was outstanding. When I tested the tires it was also about 45 degrees and raining which was ideal to see what they can do. The only thing NOT going for them is the siping is not full tread depth, it goes down to 5/32". The Alenza Plus is absolutely a front funner also. I have the M/S 2 on my wifes TB and she likes them for the most part. Michelin products (although I am a big advocate) do seem to be having more issues holding up than they did 3 years ago.

Envoy09

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
I finally got the Bridgestone Dueler HP Sport. Love the ride. Very quiet & comfortable ride. Haven't tried out sharp cornering or hard braking....waiting to break in a little more. Handling is pretty responsive.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online